MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year Devine13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 03-08-2013 08:42 AM
Second year engineering S.lee Academics 8 12-29-2011 09:59 PM
first year engineering myInteger Academics 9 06-11-2009 01:23 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

going into 2nd year Engineering

Old 05-06-2013 at 09:37 PM   #1
hassan1994

Liked: 0 Times

going into 2nd year Engineering
Hi everyone i recently got my marks for 2nd semister and i ended up having an average of 3.5 which is higher than the average to stay in university but i am not sure if i can go into any of the engineering streams for second year...what should i do? is it over for me at mcmaster engineering? any information will be helpful thanks
Old 05-06-2013 at 09:50 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I could be wrong but I believe eng has a 4.0 cutoff every year. You should talk to an engineering academic adviser IMMEDIATELY (aka call (not email) tomorrow morning when they open). You may be put on probation and given the opportunity to raise your average via summer school. If not then you could consider reinstatement process which is basically a fresh start completely.

hassan1994 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 05-06-2013 at 10:02 PM   #3
hassan1994

Liked: 0 Times

thank you very much for the reply
Old 05-06-2013 at 11:02 PM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassan1994 View Post
Hi everyone i recently got my marks for 2nd semister and i ended up having an average of 3.5 which is higher than the average to stay in university but i am not sure if i can go into any of the engineering streams for second year...what should i do? is it over for me at mcmaster engineering? any information will be helpful thanks
No its not. U MUST MEET SALLY WILLIAMS ASAP. Call and find out, but i think her drop in hours are after 1 pm.

U can stay in eng. by doing a couple of ur 1st courses again over the summer, like materials or math or wht ever. The aim is to get ur avg above a 4. So u must see that u kill those course that u re take.

If u do get an avg >4, will have to join the program with the lowest entrance avg. This could include materials, Software, Eng phys and may be Chem eng.

The course that u retake will be added to all the course u have already taken, and will not be replaced.

good luck

hassan1994 says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.

hassan1994 likes this.
Old 05-07-2013 at 11:52 AM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Jonathan pretty much said it all. You can take few engineering courses over the summer to raise your average. But since the courses that you take won't replace the old marks and will just add more units to the total, make sure you take something you like so you can do really well at. Thus, raising your average and staying in engineering!

All the best!

hassan1994 says thanks to jim1 for this post.

hassan1994 likes this.
Old 05-07-2013 at 12:06 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You pretty much have to take courses to raise your average.

With anything lower than a 4.0, you will be put on academic probation. Chances are they will probably request that you switch to BTech, which requires a 3.5 average.

Either way I would call Sally, or better yet, go see her in person.

hassan1994 says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 05-07-2013 at 12:11 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Chances are they will probably request that you switch to BTech, which requires a 3.5 average.
I just would like to say that you don't need a 3.5 to switch to B.tech :p That's the required CA to stay in the program, but you can switch to B.tech even if you are lower than 3.