MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Engineering usahockey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-05-2011 01:47 PM
Second year Engineering mfattal General Discussion 4 09-17-2010 10:37 PM
Second Year Engineering lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 03-14-2010 10:42 PM
first year engineering myInteger Academics 9 06-11-2009 01:23 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

Second year engineering

Old 12-29-2011 at 06:37 PM   #1
S.lee

Liked: 0 Times

Second year engineering
Hi I'm sylvia
Im in first yr eng, and just finished the first term.
I just started to look for what I want to study in my second year, but I can't find good information about materials eng and chemical engineering.
I found courses that I need to take in each stream and they look quite similar to me..
can anyone tell me about their difficulties, study materials and what i can do with it in the future?

oh and two more questions! is materials engineering(nanomater ials stream) part of materials eng?

And is engineering management much harder than just engineering?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-29-2011 at 06:55 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.lee View Post
And is engineering management much harder than just engineering?
I've yet to see anyone in engineering and management not almost rage quit.
Old 12-29-2011 at 07:17 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Hey Sylvia,

There will be info sessions with tonnes of info on both of those streams (and all the rest) before it comes time to pick your stream. Materials is also second term, so you will have a better chance then to see what it's about (a bit). ask your prof in that when the info session is and he can help you out there.

Any stream of Materials will be chosen by your focus electives in 3rd / 4th year.

The rest of your questions regarding each of the streams are better answered by people in those streams, and at the info session they hold. My advice: Meet some upper years and talk to them about their streams... Especially those people who were your reps for welcome week: The vast majority of them are very open to chat about their streams.

S.lee says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 12-29-2011 at 07:41 PM   #4
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Hey Sylvia!
It seems as if you are mostly interested in materials engineering. However, just a fair warning for ChemE...it has very little to do with chemistry. Most of it is based on processing that is done in factories and reactors. Materials engineering is more involved with chemistry and you get to learn about different materials and how they form/their properties. At least, that is what I understand from my friends.

Anyway, wait till your materials course next semester and you'll get a pretty good idea of what it's like. I am in ChemE and Materials Eng looks much more interesting to me. Good luck to you!

S.lee says thanks to muons for this post.
Old 12-29-2011 at 07:46 PM   #5
S.lee

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
ugh maybe i should think about that again then..
Old 12-29-2011 at 07:56 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I've met tonnes of them who haven't... Also: Scared of a little challenge !?

anonanon987, S.lee like this.
Old 12-29-2011 at 09:41 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I dont think you can make a deecision until you take matireals, hopefully you get one of the better profs. Dont worry each program has info nights and there is a genral info day next term
Old 12-29-2011 at 09:46 PM   #8
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
It's easy, but it's a pain in the ass. Marketing be damned.

Old 12-29-2011 at 09:59 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I've met tonnes of them who haven't... Also: Scared of a little challenge !?
Challenges are always good and are a personal motivator for me. ^^