MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm new in town nonconflict Introduce Yourself 0 08-27-2012 10:52 AM
CFMS Open Town Hall Discussion: Healthcare Transformation emtee10 MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-07-2012 02:46 PM
Daily game Nov 14 : Town of Fears Chad Daily Game 0 11-14-2011 04:12 AM
Best BBT In Town? Desda Body & Food 0 09-30-2010 02:11 AM
OUSA Town Hall On OSAP: October 6th 2009 finklej MacInsiders Announcements 3 10-06-2009 11:26 AM

Going from Mac to down town Hamilton..

Old 09-05-2012 at 10:59 PM   #1
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Going from Mac to down town Hamilton..
What bus/train do I have to take?
.. also, would you recommend going alone in the evenings?
I've heard that it wasn't exactly the safest place.. is that just a rumor?
Old 09-05-2012 at 11:02 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Just don't go on Barton street. If you're scared don't bring alot of cash on you or bring a buddy.

Go across the street from mcmaster and take the 5 or the 10 and you will head towards Jackson square (which is downtown)

SweetyTweety says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 09-05-2012 at 11:10 PM   #3
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Listen to the advice about Barton Street. I feel unsafe even taking the bus there on weekday afternoons...

Check this out: http://forum.skyscraperpage. com/sh...php?t=1197 00

SweetyTweety says thanks to apples12 for this post.
Old 09-05-2012 at 11:19 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

5, 10, 51, 1a, and main & mcnab, go downtown. You can get some across the street from mac going along mainstreet to the left, or on campus heading out down sterling towards westdale.

I wouldn't advise wandering around late at night, but you should be safe along bus routes.

Here's a crime map to get an idea of some of the incidents have occurred recently.. there's an official police one but I can't find it right now.

Hamilton is A LOT safer than a place like Toronto, people tend to be scared of it (DT in particular) for no real reason. Sketchy people hang out around james and king, but other than that, its not bad.

edit: im regularly on barton, it's not bad, but there's no real reason to be on that street; unless you're going to centre mall :p
there was, however there were 3 random stabbings last year; one at mcnab, two in the east end

Last edited by RyanC : 09-05-2012 at 11:31 PM.

SweetyTweety says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 09-06-2012 at 02:40 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I don't get what the problem is with Barton St. I always hear students at Mac saying to avoid downtown like the plague because of their fear of getting mugged or something. It's kind of annoying to be honest. It's no different than any other city. In fact I've been to most capital cities in Canada and Hamilton has got to have the nicest people. I mean on the bus everyone says thanks to the bus driver when getting off, never have I seen that regularly happen in any other city.

I've lived near Ivor Wynne stadium most of my life (16+ years) which is right next to Barton St. and I haven't had one issue even in the early morning hours.

anon491 likes this.
Old 09-06-2012 at 04:11 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
I don't get what the problem is with Barton St. I always hear students at Mac saying to avoid downtown like the plague because of their fear of getting mugged or something. It's kind of annoying to be honest. It's no different than any other city. In fact I've been to most capital cities in Canada and Hamilton has got to have the nicest people. I mean on the bus everyone says thanks to the bus driver when getting off, never have I seen that regularly happen in any other city.
I've never heard a bus driver thanked in Toronto, lol, its kind of sad actually? :(
Old 09-06-2012 at 04:29 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I've never heard a bus driver thanked in Toronto, lol, its kind of sad actually? :(
I hear it all the time...