MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Best BBT In Town? Desda Body & Food 0 09-30-2010 02:11 AM
MSU Financial Statements as of October 31st 2009 deadpool MacInsiders Announcements 5 12-02-2009 11:04 AM
Mental Health 101: October 28 2009 b_sunshine55 MacInsiders Announcements 6 10-25-2009 04:00 PM
Hamilton 350: Saturday October 24th 2009 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-20-2009 11:45 PM
October 5, 2009 Energy44 General Discussion 4 10-05-2009 06:08 AM

OUSA Town Hall On OSAP: October 6th 2009

OUSA Town Hall On OSAP: October 6th 2009

Are you sick of getting jerked around by OSAP? Do you think the system is broken? Think the governmental loans system need an overhaul? Or do you think the system is fine and should stay the same?

The Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance (OUSA) definately wants to hear from you. Tomorrow OUSA will have a table set up in the student centre and we want to hear what you have to say. It doesn’t just have to be about OSAP either. OUSA advocates and lobbies for better access, affordability and quality to and of education in Ontario. So, stop by our table and talk to the OUSA Street Team (and pick up some free stuff).

This is all be leading up to our first big event of the year: The OUSA Town Hall on OSAP which is happening Tuesday, October 6th at 1:00pm at 1280. Some Financial Aid, the Dean of Students and OUSA bigwigs will be there to listen to everything you have to say about OSAP. They will then take what you say and let the provincial government know what you think about the system.

This is your chance to make a difference and help post-secondary schooling in Ontario.

huzaifa47, Taunton like this.
Published by
Vice President Education

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-01-2009 at 09:25 PM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
FREE FOOD & 1280 Wings Everyone!

On a more serious note it is essential that ALOT of you attend if possible. Even if you don't feel like questioning the OSAP officials or contributing just be there as a show of numbers. The thing here is that the officials are here to gauge where student opinion on OSAP stands! If there is just random small number of people hanging about it doesn't look good when he takes his report/video/photos back to Ottawa!

OUSA actually has two full time employees based in Ottawa who lobby government officials on the behalf of over 100,000 Ontario students. If we want the government to take notice we have to show that we have mad beef against the current system of OSAP awards and some of the more ridiculous bylaws in it!

Eg: If you live within 30km's of McMaster you don't get commuting expense allowance. Which is sort of silly since if someone lives 25 Km's away it is impossible to take the HSR! He WILL have expenses!

Another one was that if you work and earn more then $50 a week(correct me if I'm wrong here!) you get a certain amount deducted. A case example is an aquaintence of mine whose father was laid off due to the industrial crisis and hence he has to provide for rent/expenses by working. Which in turn lowers his OSAP award which means he has to work some more!

Some of the bylaws and stipulations for OSAP really need re-evaluation and it won't be possible unless YOU come out in force and show the officials that it isn't working!

I don't know the exact details but OUSA has been succesful in the past in getting concessions; it isn't some random focus group! I believe the textbook and technology grant that alot of you benefit from is their work!

Soo please come out everyone even if you aren't on OSAP! Its just an hour's worth of your time!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-02-2009 at 10:59 PM   #3
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times
Extend the period after grad before you have to start paying back osap! I have no money :(

Old 10-06-2009 at 11:26 AM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times
bump* this is today

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search