MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Eng on google maps frzntrkydnnr Computers & Tech 25 09-02-2010 11:23 PM
Play pac man on Google! Melanieee MacInsiders Announcements 6 05-21-2010 07:42 PM
Google Wave jhan523 General Discussion 46 07-26-2009 01:52 AM
HSR on Google Maps! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 06-04-2009 12:45 AM

Google +

Old 07-02-2011 at 12:36 PM   #1
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Google +
Thoughts? I feel it has the potential to be better than fb
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:45 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I think they could've polished it a lot more before they released a beta...

DMe3 likes this.
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:49 PM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I was wondering when someone was going to make this thread. I don't think google+ is going to be overly effective. Facebook "like" has already taken over so many websites and I find it unlikely that said websites will add a "+" button as well as the "like." I agree with Jeff that google should have polished it more before they released it. I will have to look into it further though, I don't quite understand the "circles" part of it. It's so new though, it's hard to tell what will happen.
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:58 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I will have to look into it further though, I don't quite understand the "circles" part of it. It's so new though, it's hard to tell what will happen.
It's just grouping your list into categories so you can make posts that are shown only to specific groups.

You can do it on facebook too. It's just a lot easier on G+ (Which is one of the things I do like at the moment I guess).
Old 07-02-2011 at 01:41 PM   #5
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I don't think it'll take off, just because Facebook has SO many users. It has some cool ideas though.

I'm just really happy it has pushed Google into finally giving all their products a unified UI that doesn't look like it was designed by third graders.

Juicebox likes this.
Old 07-02-2011 at 02:24 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
It's just grouping your list into categories so you can make posts that are shown only to specific groups.

You can do it on facebook too. It's just a lot easier on G+ (Which is one of the things I do like at the moment I guess).
I read what the circles are and I understand that, but I don't see where you can access them or how to start them up. I find the whole thing confusing.

Entropy likes this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 02:50 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Loving it.

Hate Facebook so much...

jackiemac, Joey like this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 03:11 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Don't really have an opinion... probably will sign up for it 2 years after it becomes the norm.. I kinda lag behind trends
Old 07-03-2011 at 03:17 PM   #9
Fatalis

Liked: 0 Times

I think it has potential, I quite like the idea of circles and hangouts, I think it could potentially be the new king of social networking.
Old 07-03-2011 at 03:26 PM   #10
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

seems like a really cool idea; i don't know if it'll catch on though
Old 07-03-2011 at 04:40 PM   #11
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

I really like the UI. The circle thing is kinda weird, its like a hybrid of facebook friends and twitter followers. You can add anyone to one of your circles and you'll get all their public updates, so its kinda like "following" them on twitter. You can potentially spam hundreds of people in a spam circle though, but they can easily block you
I don't think it'll replace facebook but will coexist with it.
Old 07-03-2011 at 04:56 PM   #12
Fatalis

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
I really like the UI. The circle thing is kinda weird, its like a hybrid of facebook friends and twitter followers. You can add anyone to one of your circles and you'll get all their public updates, so its kinda like "following" them on twitter. You can potentially spam hundreds of people in a spam circle though, but they can easily block you
I don't think it'll replace facebook but will coexist with it.

Circles are more of a way to sort your friends.

You have a big friends list, and from that list, you can put certain friends into circles in order to organize them. Thus, when you have a status update, you can send that status only to certain circles.

For example, you could send a status update like "Awesome Party last Night!" to all the people in your "school friends" circle, but the people in your "family" won't be able to see that status, etc.
Old 07-03-2011 at 06:07 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

google+ will prob not overtake fb since (unless i havent seen) it hasnt anything fresh or captivating about it. but tbh companies need to stop hurling social network shit
Old 07-03-2011 at 06:24 PM   #14
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Google + needs to be really innovative if they want to pry users away from Facebook.

Facebook is so established right now, and to have most of it's user base to move over to something new.. well, you're gonna need a damn good social network.

But, let's not say it isn't possible cause we all know what happened to Myspace

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 06:47 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
But, let's not say it isn't possible cause we all know what happened to Myspace
Died a slow and agonizingly painful death?