MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Nexus 7 Melanieee Computers & Tech 307 10-15-2012 10:33 PM
Google + nikJ Computers & Tech 42 07-21-2011 07:55 AM
Anyone still need a Google+ invite? ikantsepll Computers & Tech 57 07-20-2011 09:18 PM
So... What's going on with Mac at Google Maps? JEFF_CHAN General Discussion 21 06-04-2011 04:23 PM
Mac Eng on google maps frzntrkydnnr Computers & Tech 25 09-02-2010 11:23 PM

Google Fiber

Old 07-28-2012 at 05:26 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Google Fiber

https://fiber.google.com/about/

What is it?
Fiber network setup by google that offers:

- 1000 Mbits dl & ul speeds
- 1TB free on google Drive
- Only in Kansas atm
- no data caps!

Pricing:
- $ 300 bux for installation
- $ 120/mo for TV and internet package for 3 years (i think)
- $ 70/mo for just internet for 3 years (i think)
- $ 300 for 7 years of 5Mbits and 1TB of google Drive

Wht do u guys think? Expensive? Good idea? What can I do with all that speed!!!! Would u make the switch if u could?

Last edited by jon.john23 : 07-28-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: ...
Old 07-28-2012 at 05:29 PM   #2
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

It probably won't ever be coming to Canada due to the CRTC, though I would say that it is extremely affordable for the speeds you are getting and whoever is able to have access to it is very lucky.

Here is a video of a speedtest benchmark on Google fiber, so jealous...

Old 07-28-2012 at 05:33 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

wow

they did mention in their keynote address that speed tests right now, can't really give a true picture of their speed
Old 07-28-2012 at 05:43 PM   #4
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
wow

they did mention in their keynote address that speed tests right now, can't really give a true picture of their speed
Yeah I bet, doesn't look like speedtest.net can handle 1000+ Mbps speeds

There is some petition going around trying to get Google Fiber to branch out to Canada.
http://avaaz.org/en/petition/Bring_G...re_to _Canada

Personally I don't think it will accomplish anything, but it's worth a shot.

jon.john23 says thanks to guerilla for this post.
Old 07-28-2012 at 06:11 PM   #5
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post

https://fiber.google.com/about/

What is it?
Fiber network setup by google that offers:

- 100 Gbits dl & ul speeds

- 1TB free on google Drive
- Only in Kansas atm

Pricing:
- $ 300 bux for installation
- $ 120/mo for TV and internet package for 3 years (i think)
- $ 70/mo for just internet for 3 years (i think)
- $ 300 for 7 years of 5Mbits and 1TB of google Drive

Wht do u guys think? Expensive? Good idea? What can I do with all that speed!!!! Would u make the switch if u could?
100 gigabits? >_> Pretty sure it's just CERN and a few other organizations around the world can get to that threshold. I think you mean ~100 megabits.

As guerilla said, the CRTC will stop any of this business if google sets foot in Canada. Our lovely telephone companies are to thank for bribing them silly. If only there was some sort of Consumer... Radio-telephone Telecommunication... Commision to look out for us - the consumer. Guess not, such a CRTC would be so helpful at keeping those telecoms at bay!

tungo89 likes this.
Old 07-28-2012 at 06:36 PM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

oops i think ur right, i was a 1000 Mbits/s. My bad, so about 1Gbit/s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHLI...er_embedde d#

i agree, that petition is a long shot.

Plus its kinda weird how google will now controls ur entire internet life.
Old 07-28-2012 at 07:12 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

probably still no where near korean internet. But for 70 dollars at least it is WORTH it compared to say rogers bell etc
Old 07-28-2012 at 07:13 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
probably still no where near korean internet. But for 70 dollars at least it is WORTH it compared to say rogers bell etc
note: thats 70 USD not CAD :p prolly an extra10 bux over here, if it were to come here.
Old 07-28-2012 at 07:15 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Doesn't matter. Canadian internet we get less for the same price. My cousin from the States had colleagues who moved back to Canada and they all testify Canadian internet is more expensive and slower.
Old 08-12-2012 at 08:09 PM   #10
ONasri15

Liked: 0 Times

Google Fiber is good in theory but isn't very practical. Most wifi routers are capped to 300Mbps. Also, unless you have a SSD your harddrive won't be able to keep up with Fiber's download speed and will create a bottleneck. Also 95% of wifi adapters in laptops/desktops these days are also limited under 1Gbps.
Old 08-12-2012 at 09:19 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONasri15 View Post
Google Fiber is good in theory but isn't very practical. Most wifi routers are capped to 300Mbps. Also, unless you have a SSD your harddrive won't be able to keep up with Fiber's download speed and will create a bottleneck. Also 95% of wifi adapters in laptops/desktops these days are also limited under 1Gbps.
It's only "up to" 1 Gbps. I highly doubt most people will be getting that speed. As far as I know though, there is some wireless standard in development to supersede 802.11N, so potentially we'll be getting wifi that is that fast some point in the future. Also, gigabit LAN equipment currently exists, so there is an obvious demand for it. Most hard drives are capable of ~70 MB/s read/write which translates to 560 Mb/s, and SSDs go beyond that. Web stuff is more RAM intensive anyway, which obviously goes faster than 1 Gb/s in any modern machine. Most servers sending information will be using massive high speed RAIDs anyway.

Aside from that, I think Google is getting a little carried away with themselves here - I very highly doubt that we'll be getting fibre lines directly to our houses when not even all corporations can afford such things to their business sites. I also don't see how they're just going to somehow have the go-ahead to install fibre-lines throughout neighborhoods either.

I can see this being setup somewhere like Topeka (where they test drive all their shit), but never making it out of Kansas. Remember Google's initiative to create their own power grid?

The ISPs out there aren't just going to give up their territory to Google without trying to throw some legislation against them.

For the time being, I remain skeptical...
Old 08-12-2012 at 09:27 PM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONasri15 View Post
1. They provide their own router because of this.
2. Who says you'll need a faster internet than what your HDD is capable of? SSDs are getting cheaper regardless.
3. 95%? That stat is made-up until you cite a source.
Old 08-12-2012 at 09:35 PM   #13
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
1. They provide their own router because of this.
2. Who says you'll need a faster internet than what your HDD is capable of? SSDs are getting cheaper regardless.
3. 95%? That stat is made-up until you cite a source.
Also How many people here have only one computer in their house?

I have 3 heavy users in my house. My parents and sister always complain when I download stuff

1Gbps = appros 120MB/s download speed.

So someone can download at approximately 70MB/s and still allow other user to use the internet with no slowdowns
Old 08-12-2012 at 09:48 PM   #14
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
It probably won't ever be coming to Canada due to the CRTC, though I would say that it is extremely affordable for the speeds you are getting and whoever is able to have access to it is very lucky.

Here is a video of a speedtest benchmark on Google fiber, so jealous...

ive seen similar speeds on mac resnet... im not impressed
Old 08-12-2012 at 09:53 PM   #15
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
ive seen similar speeds on mac resnet... im not impressed
What?! Either everyone was asleep and no one was using their computers or your referring to DC++, which in no way can be compared to this.