Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
google nexus s vs lg optimus 2X cjdzl General Discussion 15 08-21-2011 02:34 PM

Google Nexus 7

Old 06-30-2012 at 11:10 PM   #16
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

For size, I wouldn't worry too much. I found android apps take up very little space, and my phone has only 256 mb of usable internal (plus a micro sd card i use for music) and I don't need much more than that.

Before I get one, I want to play with them in a store first, just to make sure I don't preorder and am disappointed
Old 07-01-2012 at 10:24 AM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Anyone specifically know:
what apps are available to notetaking and are they actually good?
could i view ebooks without having to buy from some store? (pdf textbooks and whatnot)
is there a way to get internet without wifi? (such as using a sim card, or will i have to tether/hotspot?)
how likely is it that this device will eventually be incompatible with newer versions of google os?
when i can buy this?
Old 07-01-2012 at 11:57 AM   #18
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
Hacks aren't necessary, as Jelly bean supports USB host be default.
This means you can attach an external hard drive and have terabytes of storage.

I suggest you order it soon while you can, before they get backordered until fiveever.
According to threads on XDA, the Nexus 7 can natively use USB mice/keyboards, but cannot use USB storage. Rooting it is very simple however and once you root it you can install "Stickmount" (or there are probably other apps that do the same thing), which will allow you to read USB storage devices attached to the tablet. All the posts I've seen about it have said that you need to transfer files off the USB device and into the tablet's internal storage, or else the files will be just about useless, since other apps besides Stickmount will have errors trying to read the files off USB.

So it's possible but it requires root and isn't quite as clean as you might hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
could i view ebooks without having to buy from some store? (pdf textbooks and whatnot)
is there a way to get internet without wifi? (such as using a sim card, or will i have to tether/hotspot?)
how likely is it that this device will eventually be incompatible with newer versions of google os?
when i can buy this?
You can definitely view PDFs that weren't bought through Google Play.

No, they're wifi only.

It will remain compatible for quite some time. It has some pretty powerful hardware, is a Nexus device, and is the first Nexus tablet. You won't lose OS updates for quite some time.

https://play.google.com/store
Old 07-01-2012 at 12:04 PM   #19
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
when i can buy this?
-Apps for notetaking: I like office suite pro ($0.99) as it is basically a full office software. There is a mobile version of one note too
-Also consider a better keyboard. I find Thumb keyboard to be the best on tablets although Swiftkey has by far the best predictive algorithms.
-Pdf textbooks or epubs etc etc etc can all be read for free with basic apps. Adobe Reader itself is good for pdfs. I find "Aldiko" to be the best.
-Not sure about internet. This one certainly doesnt offer SIM capabilities. You could probably tether/hotspot from your phone if you have data though.
-The nexus brand devices are essentially developer devices and as such are almost always consistantly updated to the latest version of android.
-buy here now and you will get in mid july
https://play.google.com/store/devices

-ONe other thing to note is any app you buy with your google account will be available on every device you own (phone, tablet, etc). Apps tend to cost about 99 cents and you can search them from google play on your computer
Old 07-01-2012 at 12:41 PM   #20
RyanC
Elite Member

Thanks! I just ordered one.. me buying technology doesn't usually turn out to be a happy ending... *fingers crossed*
Old 07-01-2012 at 04:24 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Thanks! I just ordered one.. me buying technology doesn't usually turn out to be a happy ending... *fingers crossed*
I'm sure this purchase will turn out to be a good one.
Old 07-01-2012 at 04:29 PM   #22
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
It has usb ethernet support so I'm guessing you can just plug in a usb cable from an android phone with the USB tether option to make that work.

DISCLAIMER: could damage both devices, could.
Old 07-02-2012 at 10:48 AM   #23
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
It has usb ethernet support so I'm guessing you can just plug in a usb cable from an android phone with the USB tether option to make that work.

DISCLAIMER: could damage both devices, could.
Yeah .. reminds me of the picture of an iPad plugged into a microsoft surface, haha.. I'm fine with my wifi for now
Old 07-03-2012 at 08:46 AM   #24
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

When I purchased the Transformer TF101, it was $400. I am actually considering the NEXUS 7 but the only drawback is that keyboard that I got as a gift is handy as well.

Not too sure.
Old 07-04-2012 at 07:43 AM   #25
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I am still on the fence about this! I think I want it and I better order it soon.

Also, about rooting it, I heard this voids any warrentys? Is that right? And is it dangerous, could everything crash?

I will be way more inclined to order this if I can do the fancy trick which will allow me to transfer files from my usb stick onto the Nexus.
Old 07-04-2012 at 09:39 AM   #26
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
I am still on the fence about this! I think I want it and I better order it soon.

Also, about rooting it, I heard this voids any warrentys? Is that right? And is it dangerous, could everything crash?

I will be way more inclined to order this if I can do the fancy trick which will allow me to transfer files from my usb stick onto the Nexus.
Yes, rooting generally voids your warranty. However if you restore everything to stock and unroot the device, you might still be able to claim hardware defects on warranty.

Rooting won't break anything. It's hard to actually permanently damage your device by doing things with the software, as there are only a few scenarios where you can actually overwrite something important with the wrong software. And none of those scenarios are involved in the basic act of rooting, so you're still safe.

Melanieee says thanks to Andrew A for this post.
Old 07-04-2012 at 10:26 AM   #27
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Can someone link me to some good instructions for rooting the google nexus?
As well as the "Stickmount" trick?

Appreciate it!!
Old 07-04-2012 at 01:47 PM   #28
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Can someone link me to some good instructions for rooting the google nexus?
As well as the "Stickmount" trick?

Appreciate it!!
Check out XDA-Developers... pretty much all tutorials, roms, etc. are found there. I used a couple guides there to root my desire last year.. and I actually flashed an ICS rom on it last night, and loving it! No need to upgrade my phone until contract ends

Melanieee says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-04-2012 at 02:02 PM   #29
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Check out XDA-Developers... pretty much all tutorials, roms, etc. are found there. I used a couple guides there to root my desire last year.. and I actually flashed an ICS rom on it last night, and loving it! No need to upgrade my phone until contract ends
Thanks alot!

I am running Androir 2.3.4 on my Galaxy Ace. Do you recommend I root my phone and run ICS?
Old 07-04-2012 at 02:33 PM   #30
EricB89

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Which ICS rom did you flash? I have a Desire and have been wanting to upgrade to ICS from GB