prof got fired??? macculkin Academics 10 10-15-2009 08:45 PM
Editor FIRED from The Sil! Chad General Discussion 1 11-12-2006 12:14 AM

This got me fired up MSU

Old 03-09-2013 at 06:34 PM   #1
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

This got me fired up MSU
So im sure Eric is going to love seeing this post, but after reading up on the salaries that are received by MSU executive position holders, im a bit outraged by the figures that were turning up. As stated in the other thread, MSU VP and presidents make $31,460 per year, and the president receives an additional $8,000 in benefits. REALLY???
It really makes me question the motives of our council members to join MSU. Every year, we hear the platforms of the candidates, and the most common message coming from this is that everyone wants to improve campus life for the student body. After hearing this information though, i have to wonder how much of that is just blowing smoke, and who is really just looking for a payday. I dont see why they should be making any salary at all! They made the choice to run for the position because they want to instill change and make university life better for us, so why should they be paid when they chose to go for the position? I think its a load of bullshit personally. I know someone is going to say that there is a lot of work that comes with the title, but if you didnt want to do the work, then you shouldnt run for the position!
And i know there is a thread already created that this is addressed in, but i chose to make a new thread for this since i feel that the other thread should be used for the candidate to answer questions pertaining to ALL of his platform points.

student80137y says thanks to Chris23 for this post.
Old 03-09-2013 at 06:52 PM   #2
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

wow , the pres gets his/her own apartment? Why the hell is this necessary? I can understand a partially subsidized apartment on campus,but not fully subsidized. They ran a deficit yet they voted for a pay raise for themselves. I bet ya some exec members voted to receive a pay raise so they could run for the position of president and make more money. Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I c they are taking a page out of peter george's playbook on how not to be transparent and milk an already cash strapped school.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 07:06 PM   #3
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

damm authoritarians. you should run with this being your platform. then we can split the payday
Old 03-09-2013 at 07:09 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Wait, they make money for running a student run organization.... what

Old 03-09-2013 at 07:21 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I was actually surprised that they get paid. What surprises me more, is the amount of money they get!

alyssarr likes this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 07:33 PM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

this is something that the candidate should push. especially since he seems completely against it. you would get a lot of votes for opening students eyes to this!

Old 03-09-2013 at 07:48 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I don't disagree with the VP and pres being salaried -- its a big responsibility..

julianface, TheCrucible like this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 07:57 PM   #8
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I actually agree they should be paid. However I would be happier if that payment was more based on hours rather than salary. As a student without a degree they shouldnt be making all that much either. Around $25 per hour probably.

Old 03-09-2013 at 07:59 PM   #9
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Don't blame me, I voted for James Lim. Twice.
Old 03-09-2013 at 08:01 PM   #10
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

I agree they should be compensated but voting for a raise in a year when the MSU actually lost money just doesn't make sense.

Eric_G, MacPack like this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 08:02 PM   #11
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I don't disagree with the VP and pres being salaried -- its a big responsibility..
a responsibility that they willingly signed up for. even so, 40,000 is way too much to be paying to student government. its ridiculous. i would even say 10,000 a year would be steep for my liking

Eric_G, melodicdream, Snowman like this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 08:25 PM   #12
Eric_G

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
So im sure Eric is going to love seeing this post, but after reading up on the salaries that are received by MSU executive position holders, im a bit outraged by the figures that were turning up. As stated in the other thread, MSU VP and presidents make $31,460 per year, and the president receives an additional $8,000 in benefits. REALLY???
It really makes me question the motives of our council members to join MSU. Every year, we hear the platforms of the candidates, and the most common message coming from this is that everyone wants to improve campus life for the student body. After hearing this information though, i have to wonder how much of that is just blowing smoke, and who is really just looking for a payday. I dont see why they should be making any salary at all! They made the choice to run for the position because they want to instill change and make university life better for us, so why should they be paid when they chose to go for the position? I think its a load of bullshit personally. I know someone is going to say that there is a lot of work that comes with the title, but if you didnt want to do the work, then you shouldnt run for the position!
And i know there is a thread already created that this is addressed in, but i chose to make a new thread for this since i feel that the other thread should be used for the candidate to answer questions pertaining to ALL of his platform points.
Chris23, I'm glad to see people talking about this, whether it helps my campaign or not. People don't know, and even if it's anger that is being generated, anything that helps to get students involved with their own student union is a good thing in my eyes. It's why I'm running-- I want to see the MSU get back to it's roots and reconnect with students in an open and transparent way.

I could not of worded this better myself, and that's really my entire point when I'm pointing it out. It is the key point of the speech I have been giving to students in lectures. We should not be paying them. And, secondly, why is it that nobody knows? At best, perhaps a minimum hourly wage payment that actually pertains to a time-worked system. I could see this as justified only in the sense that if there wasn't perhaps a minimum pay it may bar students who wish to run and also need to work in order to fund their education at the same time from being able to. Beyond that, I don't see any valid circumstances for such a dramatically large pay.

Afzal, melodicdream like this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 08:30 PM   #13
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

holla holla holla hold on they get paid 40,000 :O
WOW i agree that they should get some money but not that much :/
what qualifies them to get paid that much o.O ??

Afzal, alyssarr, julianface like this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 08:43 PM   #14
Eric_G

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
holla holla holla hold on they get paid 40,000 :O
WOW i agree that they should get some money but not that much :/
what qualifies them to get paid that much o.O ??
That's what I'm wondering.

The answer is keeping hushhush about it.

Beyond that? Nothing.

They've kept quiet about it for so long, I assume, so as to keep it. They literally profit off your lack of engagement, and that's why I'm really hoping I'm able to win a seat this election. I would honestly love nothing more than to face the president and say "My mandate is clear-- people do not feel you should be getting paid that much. What do you plan on doing about it?"

Afzal, Faer like this.
Old 03-09-2013 at 08:50 PM   #15
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_G View Post
that's why I'm really hoping I'm able to win a seat this election. I would honestly love nothing more than to face the president and say "My mandate is clear-- people do not feel you should be getting paid that much. What do you plan on doing about it?"
Since you opened my eyes to something i never knew exited, and you're thinking of doing something about it, i decided to vote for you!

Eric_G says thanks to jim1 for this post.

Afzal, enarab, Ponyo, rpg51, Zebedee like this.