MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculator JustinL First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-22-2013 11:02 AM
calculator cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-26-2010 10:17 PM
Calculator MohitB First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 08-28-2008 07:01 PM

GPA Calculator -- MacGPA.com

Old 10-07-2013 at 01:53 AM   #1
taranv

Liked: 7 Times

GPA Calculator -- MacGPA.com
Hi MacInsiders!

I was tired of seeing everyone using spreadsheets to calculate their GPA. It's tiresome to update it and you can't calculate your current mark in a course. I'm in third year Software Engineering & Management and I decided to create a solution to help McMaster students!

THE SOLUTION: Macgpa.com

Features:
- Calculates your cumulative GPA (sessional GPA coming soon!)
- Calculates your current mark in a course based on assignments (so you know how a mid-term affects your Cumulative GPA / overall mark)
- AutoAdd! (Read FAQ)
- Convert your GPA from 12-point scale to 4-point scale (share with friends at other universities, put on your resume, etc.)

FAQ:
I'm in third year and don't want to add my 12 courses I have done to MacGPA.com?
- Just use AutoAdd! Log into MUGSI, Click on Grade Report, Copy & Paste your Grade Report and MacGPA wwill automatically add all the courses you did and their final marks!

I hope you guys find this site helpful! Check it out, Register, Use It and please provide me with some feedback! I have attached screenshots below for you guys to see!

Alos like MacGPA on Facebook!

---------------------------------------

Last edited by taranv : 10-07-2013 at 02:03 AM.

VitaSoy says thanks to taranv for this post.

MacJk likes this.
Old 10-07-2013 at 09:01 AM   #2
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

I just tried it and it's pretty neat. My grade report doesn't include my 1st year though, which I don't really remember.

Also, how do summer courses fit into this?
Old 10-07-2013 at 01:16 PM   #3
taranv

I thought grade report included all the years .. Quite surprising. Regardless I'll add another option to deal with this. Summer Courses are added into Semester 1 / 2 for the following year and is calculated as part of your GPA unless the courses is a Pass/Fail (from other universities) in which case it won't be included.

I believe that is how McMaster does it right ... ?!?
Old 10-07-2013 at 02:00 PM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

so is this an official thing? coz i feel funny about giving you my Mac ID and password, without knowing who owns the website.

Snowman likes this.
Old 10-07-2013 at 03:24 PM   #5
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

It's a good idea. I didn't bother though because you need to make an account just to calculate your GPA, which is often a 1-time thing for most people. Why not just remove that option?

Just some feedback from me
Old 10-07-2013 at 05:42 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranv View Post
I thought grade report included all the years .. Quite surprising. Regardless I'll add another option to deal with this. Summer Courses are added into Semester 1 / 2 for the following year and is calculated as part of your GPA unless the courses is a Pass/Fail (from other universities) in which case it won't be included.

I believe that is how McMaster does it right ... ?!?
No, Grade Report only includes the more recent sessions. Degree Audit contains grades from all years.
Old 10-07-2013 at 06:21 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

For android users:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rademanagement
Old 10-07-2013 at 10:10 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
so is this an official thing? coz i feel funny about giving you my Mac ID and password, without knowing who owns the website.
Obviously it isn't official. It probably logs in on behalf of you to retrieve your marks and then use it. I wouldn't use this. I like keeping my credentials to myself.

Afzal, starfish like this.
Old 11-01-2013 at 10:41 PM   #9
taranv

Hi guys .. Sorry I've been super busy past few weeks with Mid-terms, assignments and what not. Guess I need to clear up a few questions about this site.

@VitaSoy, starfish - I wasn't aware that rgade report doesn't include first year for some users. Now that I have time I will add the option of using your Degree Audit within the coming week.

@ MrPlinkett, herBs - I think I didn't explain the concept well enough. The website does not log into MUGSI for you. Your username and password for MacGPA does not have to match you McMaster credentials.

You create an account with any username, password and email. Verify email (for password reset purposes in future). You log into MUGSI yourself and just copy and paste the grade report.

@Strategy - I really appreciate the idea and have thought about it. The reason for having account is so your previous marks are saved and you don't have to re-enter marks (especially for mid-terms and assignments). I am still considering possibly making some of the features accessible without user account so people can get a feel of what they are missing out.

VitaSoy says thanks to taranv for this post.
Old 11-01-2013 at 10:43 PM   #10
taranv

Also guys, I was wondering what are your thoughts on seeing averages for courses. It is a feature I am thinking of implementing if you would like to have it. This way you would be able to compare yourself to the class average (useful when Prof. doesn't release averages or something).

If enough people want it I will implement it. Any other feedback / suggestions are also welcome!
Old 11-01-2013 at 11:32 PM   #11
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Also guys, I was wondering what are your thoughts on seeing averages for courses. It is a feature I am thinking of implementing if you would like to have it. This way you would be able to compare yourself to the class average (useful when Prof. doesn't release averages or something).

If enough people want it I will implement it. Any other feedback / suggestions are also welcome!
I think its a good idea. It doesnt hurt, right?
Old 11-02-2013 at 12:56 AM   #12
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Quote:

That sounds great. Would you only be getting the averages of the students who use the GPA calculator, or the actual class averages?
Old 11-02-2013 at 01:00 PM   #13
taranv

I would only be able to get averages using the marks of people using MacGPA ... If everyone is using it then it becomes the actual class average so tell your friends to sign up!
Old 11-02-2013 at 05:47 PM   #14
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

You don't really need any of the information that's required to sign up, like First name, last name, birthday, and gender.

The design looks nice and you should probably use the Degree Audit since that would have grades from all years (plus potential for features regarding future required courses)
Old 11-08-2013 at 07:51 PM   #15
taranv

@Afzal I have made gender and birthday optional. Birthday was to send out Birthday emails to users (coming in future) but since a lot of people have issue it is now optional. Degree Audit for Grades has Been Implemented!!

@starfish, @Vitasoy Degree Audit entering of Grades has been implemented. Please test it out and let me know if you have any more feedback!

Afzal likes this.