MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B.H.Sc.Hon. and B.H.Sc.PA. Grad PAJake Introduce Yourself 13 03-22-2013 09:34 AM
Grad School at MAC AztekEscobar Academics 0 08-18-2012 01:37 PM
Grad card? Kathy2 Academics 13 02-02-2010 04:05 PM
Grad Card and Grad Response Form Available nh999 MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 08:57 AM
Grad school xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 12-28-2009 08:46 PM

Grad Postponement

Old 04-11-2014 at 12:27 AM   #1
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Grad Postponement
So i've recently been put in a tough situation regarding my graduation and I was wondering if anyone would know anything about this. Long story short, I had to defer an exam today (not my choice or preference) and because of this I was told that I have to write the exam in June. The problem is that convocation is also in June and I wouldnt be able to graduate in June if I have to write the exam a couple days before that. As a result, I was told that I have to go to the convocation in November.

I would personally prefer to graduate in June and I dont know if there's anyway I can do so anymore. My question is basically would I still be considered to be a student until November at which point I would officially graduate, or would I be a graduate at the end of April once exams are over?
Old 04-11-2014 at 06:51 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

No, there is nothing you can do. You will not have all of your courses completed by the deadline (which is before the actual ceremony itself; I can't remember exactly when the deadline is - I think sometime in May - but it should be on the registrar's website). Since you won't have met the requirements to graduate in time for June, you can't graduate until November.

If you NEED the diploma or graduation notation on your transcript, you can apply to get it earlier, but they only grant this in extenuating circumstances where you can prove that you need it. If you'd just prefer to graduate earlier, then you're out of luck.
Old 04-12-2014 at 10:07 AM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I'm also graduating in November and not really clear on what it means as far as applying for jobs, etc... Can you not actually claim the degree until it's conferred? I mean, there's nothing stopping you but if an employer requires proof, you'd be kinda SOL.
Old 04-12-2014 at 10:45 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
I'm also graduating in November and not really clear on what it means as far as applying for jobs, etc... Can you not actually claim the degree until it's conferred? I mean, there's nothing stopping you but if an employer requires proof, you'd be kinda SOL.
In that case I think the appropriate thing to do would say "expected Nov 2014" or something along those lines, and if they ask, make it clear that you've completed the requirements and are just waiting for the ceremony. There are some programs that finish in December but they still have to wait until April to technically graduate; this is a similar situation.

I was looking into this a couple of years ago (I graduated in November too), and the situation I remember reading about where they would grant your degree early is if you had a job abroad and needed proof of graduation to get the visa approved. I don't think the same applies to domestic jobs since there is less bureaucracy involved, but if you were in a situation where your employer insisted on proof of graduation, you could always contact the Registrar's office and see what they say.
Old 04-13-2014 at 07:49 AM   #5
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

It is my understanding that you can participate in the summer ceremony as long as you finish all of your required courses in the summer
Old 04-13-2014 at 09:10 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSM View Post
It is my understanding that you can participate in the summer ceremony as long as you finish all of your required courses in the summer
Your required courses must be complete by sometime in May (earlier for healthsci students since their ceremony is earlier) - the date is on the registrar's website. Since no summer courses will be finished by the deadline, you cannot complete your degree requirements in the summer if you expect to graduate in June of the same year.
Old 04-13-2014 at 07:41 PM   #7
Sweety

Liked: 7 Times

So if i defer an exam that is NOT for a required course so not a course that I need to fulfill my degree requirements, will I still be able to go to the ceremony and graduate in June?
Old 04-13-2014 at 08:14 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety View Post
So if i defer an exam that is NOT for a required course so not a course that I need to fulfill my degree requirements, will I still be able to go to the ceremony and graduate in June?
Do you have the requisite number of credits as well?

If you do, then yes you should be able to graduate, but the course will most likely stay on your transcript with a grade of zero. I don't know if they'd let you write the exam and update your transcript afterwards; you'd have to ask the registrar or your faculty office.
Old 04-13-2014 at 09:29 PM   #9
amare

Liked: 22 Times

I gave the registrar a call to clear up all the confusing stuff regarding convocation and this is what they told me:

1) No matter when you complete your degree/course requirements there are only 2 official graduation dates as far as they are concerned, the one in June, then another in November. Once you complete your requirements by April you are still not considered a graduate, nor are you considered a student. You will be considered as "eligible to graduate" until the day of convocation which is when you officially graduate. If you complete the requirements for your degree/program in the summer you will be considered as "eligible to graduate" until the November convocation which is the day you officially graduate. During this "eligible" period you are NOT a graduate, but if you need proof that you will graduate you can contact your faculty or the registrar and they can provide documentation saying you have met all requirements to graduate.

2) You will be considered as "eligible to graduate" once your faculty reviews your credits, including any course you have recently completed which is needed to graduate. Until you are reviewed, you are essentially in a grey/undefined area (they didn't tell me the grey area part, but this is the conclusion I came to).

3) Contact my faculty to see if they will let me write the exam before the deferred exam period which is in June (after convocation). Thing is, I already contacted my prof already telling him that I want to graduate in June, but he said theres nothing he can really do since the exam is scheduled by the registrar and the registrar told me they cant do anything and I should contact my faculty.

Essentially the whole process is really confusing/unclear

Last edited by amare : 04-13-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2014 at 07:29 PM   #10
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Sometimes it feels like this school and its faculty go out of their way to punish people for deferring exams. Not that I've ever deferred, just a trend I've noticed.

amare likes this.
Old 04-14-2014 at 08:17 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Sometimes it feels like this school and its faculty go out of their way to punish people for deferring exams. Not that I've ever deferred, just a trend I've noticed.
And yet, UofT is wayyyy worse :(

If you defer anything, even if it's a test that gets the weight moved to your final exam, you pay $70. The make-up is always way harder than the test that you missed - and oral make-ups aren't uncommon.
Old 04-14-2014 at 10:51 PM   #12
naeD

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
I gave the registrar a call to clear up all the confusing stuff regarding convocation and this is what they told me:

1) No matter when you complete your degree/course requirements there are only 2 official graduation dates as far as they are concerned, the one in June, then another in November. Once you complete your requirements by April you are still not considered a graduate, nor are you considered a student. You will be considered as "eligible to graduate" until the day of convocation which is when you officially graduate. If you complete the requirements for your degree/program in the summer you will be considered as "eligible to graduate" until the November convocation which is the day you officially graduate. During this "eligible" period you are NOT a graduate, but if you need proof that you will graduate you can contact your faculty or the registrar and they can provide documentation saying you have met all requirements to graduate.

2) You will be considered as "eligible to graduate" once your faculty reviews your credits, including any course you have recently completed which is needed to graduate. Until you are reviewed, you are essentially in a grey/undefined area (they didn't tell me the grey area part, but this is the conclusion I came to).

3) Contact my faculty to see if they will let me write the exam before the deferred exam period which is in June (after convocation). Thing is, I already contacted my prof already telling him that I want to graduate in June, but he said theres nothing he can really do since the exam is scheduled by the registrar and the registrar told me they cant do anything and I should contact my faculty.

[b]Essentially the whole process is really confusing/unclear[b]
It's a farce.

amare likes this.