MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about summer school and grad school apps bruni Academics 4 05-05-2012 07:05 AM
Grad school fairs.. Mac12 Academics 1 09-28-2011 10:59 PM
Chem + grad school? Zimonada Academics 13 06-25-2011 12:38 AM
Do You Want to Go to Grad School? lorend Academics 5 10-25-2010 12:19 AM
Grad school xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 12-28-2009 08:46 PM

Grad School Grades

Old 04-15-2012 at 11:15 PM   #1
AztekEscobar

Liked: 2 Times

Grad School Grades
Hello,

I have a question about the grades that grad schools look at. I have found that most look at your 3rd and 4th year grades, does this include any 2nd or 1st year course electives that were taken in this year as well?
Old 04-16-2012 at 12:58 AM   #2
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

If they are looking at your grades for a particular year, I'm assuming that they would look at the grades from all courses taken during that year.
Old 04-16-2012 at 01:17 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I'm pretty sure they don't look at other years, unless there's certain required/recommended courses you've taken in those years. Your best bet is to email the admissions for the programs you're interested in though!
Old 04-16-2012 at 06:03 AM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Depends, some will look at all the courses you took in your third/fourth year, others will only look at 3 and 4 level courses, best to check with the schools themselves.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 04-16-2012 at 10:07 AM   #5
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times

I had to input my grades from my whole undergrad when I applied to U of T. I'm not sure how many of those years they actually took into account.
Old 04-20-2012 at 08:39 PM   #6
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

To give you some idea, I was admitted at a competitive program with a fail in a relevant second year course, and a horrible first year.

If you crush your 3rd and 4th year, it won't matter. If theres a recent blemish, make sure your references discuss it.
Old 04-21-2012 at 01:28 AM   #7
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBlue View Post
To give you some idea, I was admitted at a competitive program with a fail in a relevant second year course, and a horrible first year.

If you crush your 3rd and 4th year, it won't matter. If theres a recent blemish, make sure your references discuss it.
Hey what do you mean by that? thanks
Old 04-21-2012 at 01:34 AM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Hey what do you mean by that? thanks
What I think he meant was like if you got a C, have a reason other than "I suck at physics." be ready to own up and justify to your mistakes, and show you've learned from it. And if you have a LOR to back you up on it, all the better.
Old 04-21-2012 at 08:51 AM   #9
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

For instance, suppose you failed Stats in first year. This might concern a graduate admissions comittee who would like some assurance that you can count. Having one of your references meantion that "little Johnny excels at quantative and qualitiative aspects of ____" might help. This is really only relevant if the course was either recent or extremely important. In my case, a reference was able to hilight the fact that there were issues with the professor and that I've matured as a student.

If it isn't already apparent, references matter. If the individual is someone the admissions comittee respects, having them say "So-and-so is a once every five year student" will make an impression. I am convinced that adcoms didn't read my SOP.
Old 04-22-2012 at 10:07 PM   #10
muons

Liked: 84 Times

American schools take everything into account I think? As in cGPA, but Canadian universities tend to be nicer and only look at your last two years. It's the only two that are relevant anyway though having an amazing average in all four years doesn't hurt xD
Old 04-23-2012 at 01:18 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It completely depends on the school and the program. It's best to call and ask them. Most will only look at your final two years, but some might look at all four years.
Old 04-23-2012 at 05:44 PM   #12
klibzy

Liked: 5 Times

Relevant question: if I came back and did a few courses after graduating from engineering (math courses, not really related to eng), would grad schools look at those courses as my "last year" or would they look at the last 2 years of my major?
Old 04-23-2012 at 08:23 PM   #13
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibzy View Post
Relevant question: if I came back and did a few courses after graduating from engineering (math courses, not really related to eng), would grad schools look at those courses as my "last year" or would they look at the last 2 years of my major?
If you are applying to an ECE masters then they would definitely look at your ECE courses. But 12s in higher level math courses will obviously count for a lot as well. If it is a math related masters you are applying for then more emphasis is given to your math courses. It's not so much as two straight years, but your ability to do well in higher leveled courses in the related subject.

Obviously, I'm not in grad school so I could be completely wrong