MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nice place in Hamilton to take my girlfriend? CrashPlague Dating & Relationships 14 11-01-2010 10:59 PM
New Grad Student Nicole0714 Introduce Yourself 1 07-28-2010 01:29 PM
McMaster Grad Student Selling Posters of Photography lorend MacInsiders Announcements 5 09-29-2009 09:18 PM
I question if im an engineering student..I have a nice timetable? kenvin100 Academics 4 08-10-2008 07:57 PM
Undergrad and Grad Student Elections! Chad General Discussion 0 09-17-2007 07:23 PM

grad student looking for nice place

Old 05-10-2011 at 05:37 PM   #1
dusssstj

Liked: 0 Times

grad student looking for nice place
Hi Everyone,

I'm heading to Mac as a grad student and would like to live around campus as I will be there more than I care to think about... I've been working for a lonnnnnng time now, so have money saved for a nice place to live. Does anyone know of nicer places (preferably large 1 bedroom around campus)? I know there are places downtown, but I really want to be closer to campus.

Any help would be great, and I'm really excited to be at Mac next year!

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011 at 05:39 PM   #2
dusssstj

note
I should also probably clarify, I'm not looking for a place in a house/basement apartment/sharing with other people. What I would love is an apartment/condo around Mac.
Old 05-10-2011 at 06:41 PM   #3
SmSm

you will not find a lot of good buildings around campus. I think the camelot building in front of poppey's restaurant on main street west is a good choice. Also consider downtown it has a lot of choices and everything is just a walking distance from you. The bus takes 10 minutes from downtown to campus. and buses run frequently till like 1:30 Am.
Old 05-10-2011 at 06:50 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Camelot is okay, just a bit small.

1928 Main street west was nice, about a 10 minute bus ride.

Old 05-10-2011 at 07:42 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

i live on dundurn student hunting, pretty nice place relatively large rooms, right across the street from plaza and close to bus stop on main road for a 5-10 min bus ride to mac
Old 05-10-2011 at 07:48 PM   #6
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
i live on dundurn student hunting, pretty nice place relatively large rooms, right across the street from plaza and close to bus stop on main road for a 5-10 min bus ride to mac
Sounds scary.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-10-2011 at 07:51 PM.

jamescw1234, L'Étoile like this.
Old 05-10-2011 at 07:52 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Sounds scary.
For you maybe. I guess hes got to work his way up to vampires.

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-10-2011 at 07:53 PM   #8
H.L.

Liked: 2 Times

West Village Suites, a condo building for Mac students. They are situated approximately 10 minutes from campus and close to all ammenities. Each suite either houses from 2-5 people. Some perks include a gym, study rooms, and entertainment room.

http://www.westvillagesuites .ca/
Old 05-10-2011 at 10:56 PM   #9
dusssstj

If I go a little bit further (but not downtown), is there any other things anyone knows of? I've looked at the places mentioned hear and I'm not sure that they're right for me.

Thanks, Dustin
Old 05-10-2011 at 11:17 PM   #10
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

are you looking to rent or buy? dundas is a nice area, close to mac on bus in bad weather, and just a quick zip up cootes on a bike in good weather. (or walk)

there are condos to rent (here's just one example although these are furnished so maybe not quite right)...

http://www.spencercreekrenta ls.com... nrKgodhUT9Cw

there are lots of condos to buy as well.

you can find some nice apartments too, but you have to do a little bit more digging around because dundas has fewer highrises and more that are walk-ups, over stores, etc. since the weather's getting nice anyway, might be worth a jaunt around town to see what's available.

p.s. you can also google "dundas, ontario apartments" or similar and lots of listings come up.. kijiji, 247 apartments, etc.

Last edited by soltintal : 05-10-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2011 at 09:45 AM   #11
dusssstj

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help for now. If I were to expand my search a little, including some closer to downtown locations, but still farthest would probably be at or west of james, and south of main, or in the opposite direction, to some dundas locations, anyone know of anywhere else?

Thanks again everyone for all the help
Old 05-15-2011 at 08:01 AM   #12
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Another place to look at is The Glen. It's a pricier apartment building but it's really nice. I'm thinking about living there whenever I graduate.

Old 05-18-2011 at 10:39 PM   #13
soltintal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusssstj View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help for now. If I were to expand my search a little, including some closer to downtown locations, but still farthest would probably be at or west of james, and south of main, or in the opposite direction, to some dundas locations, anyone know of anywhere else?

Thanks again everyone for all the help
you kind of mention this area - but have you considered around aberdeen and south of that? from longwood to about queen street is pretty nice and has some apt buildings tucked into residential. also, some of the houses down there have been turned into apartments/duplexes. past that are big mansions, but then again at the far end near st. joes hospital are some more apartments tucked in.

and if you are down that way - locke street south is nice as far as shops, etc.
Old 05-27-2011
rentalarkel3
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-07-2011 at 01:03 PM   #14
davidw

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltintal View Post

there are condos to rent (here's just one example although these are furnished so maybe not quite right)...

http://www.spencercreekrenta ls.com... nrKgodhUT9Cw
Furnished is great for me, the thing is close to McMaster and looks neat, but they're already booked until next june :/
Do you have any similar thing?