Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
academic appeal? thebeetles Academics 2 05-28-2013 05:26 PM
appeal information camelsrfun Academics 2 04-09-2013 01:50 AM
appeal your mark noface General Discussion 2 04-26-2012 12:03 AM
How do you appeal a mark? De La Soul Academics 2 11-23-2011 04:46 PM
Reinstatement Appeal Keenu Academics 4 06-23-2010 04:39 PM

Grade Appeal Process

Members have rated post #375843 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 07-11-2013 at 03:07 PM   #1
tanweerrohil

Liked: 0 Times

Grade Appeal Process
Hello,

I recently filed a grade appeal for a history course in which I recieved a 0 because I missed a class for a job interview and received a 0 on the group presentation component which made me fail the course. Has anyone been in a similar situation and had the decision reversed in their favour? Im wondering what are my chances that my appeal will get approved and I can earn my mark

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013 at 03:36 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanweerrohil View Post
Hello,

I recently filed a grade appeal for a history course in which I recieved a 0 because I missed a class for a job interview and received a 0 on the group presentation component which made me fail the course. Has anyone been in a similar situation and had the decision reversed in their favour? Im wondering what are my chances that my appeal will get approved and I can earn my mark

Thanks!
What argument do you have in your favour? It seems pretty clear-cut that you should fail the course. You weren't ill, there wasn't some sort of emergency, you missed a presentation which you knew about in advance for a job interview (which is also scheduled in advance). Based on just that, I'd say your chances are pretty slim.
Old 07-11-2013 at 03:43 PM   #3
tanweerrohil

Well, the group component was wort 30 percent and involved a group presentation and attending your classmates presentations. The job interview was two days before the last presentation (which is the only one I missed) and I was sure classes were done because my first exam was on the saturday that week(my fault on that mistake and told the prof that). It just seems unreasonable that missing one class is costing me the entire course despite completing all the required work. I sure hope I can get my mark, I would have made the dean's list otherwise
Old 07-11-2013 at 04:23 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

I've seen grade appeals with much more strength than yours be rejected. It's always worth a try, especially if it makes the difference between passing and failing, but it would really surprise me if they considered the appeal.
Old 07-11-2013 at 05:53 PM   #5
naeD

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I've seen grade appeals with much more strength than yours be rejected. It's always worth a try, especially if it makes the difference between passing and failing, but it would really surprise me if they considered the appeal.
You've "seen" grade appeals? Really? I am tired of you and other people on this forum making ridiculous assertions to lend credence to your posts.

OP, I know a couple of guys who appealed their grade because they deferred a third test (after receiving >95% on the first two) and assumed their grades would be reallocated (50-50). In the course outline, the professor did not make any stipulations about deferred tests. As a result, the professor discounted their grades since the class average was ridiculously lower on the third test.

Ultimately, they appealed their grades and got the grade (12) they deserved. Remain confident throughout the process, I wish you luck.
Old 07-11-2013 at 06:05 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeD View Post
You've "seen" grade appeals? Really? I am tired of you and other people on this forum making ridiculous assertions to lend credence to your posts.

OP, I know a couple of guys who appealed their grade because they deferred a third test (after receiving >95% on the first two) and assumed their grades would be reallocated (50-50). In the course outline, the professor did not make any stipulations about deferred tests. As a result, the professor discounted their grades since the class average was ridiculously lower on the third test.

Ultimately, they appealed their grades and got the grade (12) they deserved. Remain confident throughout the process, I wish you luck.
Lol yes, I have "seen" grade appeals. As in, used my eyes to look at grade appeals that were submitted. I'm not sure how else I'm supposed to say that, since "seen" is a pretty self-explanatory word, and it's really not a ridiculous assertion at all.
Old 07-12-2013 at 11:35 AM   #7
tanweerrohil

Thanks. I dont know it would suck if one class ends up costing me 800 bucks and 0 on my transcript. Does anyone know how long the process takes? Its been about 4 business days since I faxed over my papers.