MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Just Cause 2 VS. Grand Theft Auto IV AdelaisAer Gaming 18 12-18-2010 08:22 PM
You are invited! Student Success Centre Grand Opening and Open House! AdamKuhn General Discussion 0 09-10-2010 07:22 PM
The rink at oak knoll park HG88 Athletics & Recreation 2 12-17-2009 09:01 PM
Skating Rink on Campus? lorend ARCHIVES 0 10-07-2007 10:23 PM

Grand Opening of the Hamilton Waterfront Ice Rink!

Hi everyone!

Do you like skating? Being from Ottawa, I grew up skating on outdoor rinks. SOCS moonlight skate during Frost Week reminded me of how much I love it.... here is an excerpt from my most reason blog post about the opening of the Hamilton Waterfront ice rink! Thought some of you might be interested:

McMaster students are invited to the Grand Opening event of the Hamilton Waterfront Ice Rink on January 29, 2011:

The ice rink was made possible with funding from the City of Hamilton and land provided by Parks Canada. The Hamilton Waterfront Trust in partnership with the City of Hamilton is proud to announce the Grand Opening event on Saturday, January 29, 2011 of the Waterfront Ice Skating Rink located at Pier 8. The NHL size outdoor rink which will be open daily from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm is located behind Williams Fresh Cafe at 47 Discovery Drive. The event kicks off Hamilton’s Winterfest with an official ceremony for the Ice Rink opening, speeches and ribbon cutting at 12:15 pm. Following the opening ceremony, a Skating Program and Demonstrations will be presented by CanSkate lead instructor and coach, Tom Falls. CanSkate is brought to you with the assistance of the Caledonia Skating Club. Free Trolley tours of Pier 8 and movies at the Discovery Centre will be available throughout the afternoon. Enjoy the entertainment provided by Rocking Ray Michaels & the Retro Rockers, Paul’s Trulee Odd Show and a children’s entertainer Turkey Rhubarb.

Complementary food and beverages will be available during the afternoon.
Free Public Skating is available daily from 10:00 am - 11:00 pm. On January 29 the Free Public Skating will be available from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm and from 2:00 pm – 11:00 pm. Come lace up your skates and enjoy the natural beauty of the Hamilton Waterfront.

The Hamilton Waterfront Trust is a non-profit, charitable organization with a mandate to make it possible for everyone to use and enjoy Hamilton’s waterfront. Our organization is leading the way with various developments designed to enhance the waterfront experience and promote easy access to the water’s edge.

http://php.orbiscommunicatio ns.com...terblog/?p=148

aya017 says thanks to mkozi for this post.

Geek likes this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:07 PM   #2
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 416 Times
Ms. Koziol, you are awesome!

Also, FIRST!

Last edited by Afzal : 01-19-2011 at 01:42 PM.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:33 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Ms. Koziol, you are awesome!
For what, posting it?

Why is she a Ms. You don't refer to anyone else on this forum so formally. Hell, might as well call her President Koziol.

On topic: Pretty awesome. Need skates though. D:

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-19-2011 at 01:42 PM   #4
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
For what, posting it?

Why is she a Ms. You don't refer to anyone else on this forum so formally. Hell, might as well call her President Koziol.

On topic: Pretty awesome. Need skates though. D:
Deserves respect...

Oh yeah, what would be better though would be to know if there are any skate shops in that same area where we could rent them.

Last edited by Afzal : 01-19-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Old 01-19-2011 at 09:45 PM   #5
mkozi
Program: Arts & Science

Liked: 102 Times
hahaha

What I learned from SOCS frost week skate is that there seems to only be one place in Hamilton that rents skates... and it is kind of far away (though accessible by bus!), here is the information:

Davidson Sports and Cycle
$10 with a free sharpening.
To rent, students must leave either a major credit card number or the full cost of the skates in cash as a deposit.
Store information 952 Upper Wellington Street, Hamilton, ON L9A 3S2, (905) 383-0435
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:41 PM   #6
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
Hm....time to get my parents to bring my skates
Old 01-20-2011 at 01:02 AM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozi View Post
hahaha

What I learned from SOCS frost week skate is that there seems to only be one place in Hamilton that rents skates... and it is kind of far away (though accessible by bus!), here is the information:

To rent, students must leave either a major credit card number or the full cost of the skates in cash as a deposit.
Store information 952 Upper Wellington Street, Hamilton, ON L9A 3S2, (905) 383-0435
They close at something like 6pm. LOL I'd rather leave $50 than tell someone to write down my CC number. there's only a finite combinations for the expiry and CVV
Old 01-22-2011 at 07:45 PM   #8
shredgnar
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Fourth
Residence: Bates

Liked: 0 Times
I'm down!
YESS!!!!!! Dang but now I have to go somehow get my skates from T.dot...
Old 01-22-2011 at 08:41 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozi View Post
hahaha

Or you could try the amnity, salvation army, or a thrift store for cheapies?
Old 01-25-2011 at 11:42 AM   #10
SeraSera
Program: Anthropology
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
The 2009 World Synchronized Skating champions, NEXXICE, is what they mean by "a Skating Program".
This, in my opinion, would be the coolest part of the Opening Ceremonies. Everyone should come!

(and if you don't know what synchronized skating is, google it!)

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search