MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exam Question - Upper years Help!! CAHopeful Academics 7 10-12-2010 05:06 PM
Buying textbooks from upper year students msms First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-12-2010 11:23 AM
Upper years in residence macbaby07 Residence & Housing 28 03-14-2010 01:05 PM
Meeting Upper Years JY123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 09-11-2009 03:56 PM
Res for Upper Years Kevin Residence & Housing 2 05-17-2008 06:14 PM

Guidelines for buying books from upper years

Old 08-21-2008 at 08:58 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Guidelines for buying books from upper years
Does anyone have any guidelines for buying used books from upper years, (pricing)? I am asking because I don't want to get ripped off... basically, someone offered to sell me text book for $90 but the sticker price for a new one at Titles is $98... and $73 for a used. but they say its like in mint condition or w.e ... anyways... I kind of gathered that paying about 60-70 % of what the previous owner paid for would be good but I dunno after that proposal. thanks

Last edited by sinthusized : 08-21-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2008 at 09:11 PM   #2
raine

Liked: 1 Time

Whoa. I think that's a little bit pricy for a used book however nice its condition is. I'm mostly buying used books as well and I was lucky to get some nice deals from the upper year students. If I were you, I'd rather pay $8 more to get a new one.
Old 08-22-2008 at 01:54 AM   #3
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah, in my experience, buying directly from an upper year should get you books either around or lower than the Titles used book price. It makes sense if you think about it - sellers usually try to get more money than they'd receive by selling it back to the bookstore directly (which is usually very little), but they also want to be successful in selling it, so they'll usually price it under the Titles used price (that's what I've seen, anyway).

It doesn't make much sense to price it higher...well, I guess technically they could be a raging capitalist, and use the philosophy that if someone's willing to buy it at that price, then the market can bear it...but in your case, I'd just buy it at Titles :p
Old 08-22-2008 at 08:26 AM   #4
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Cippi is right. Whenever I sell my books I make sure that the price is lower than the used price at Titles but higher than what I would get if I sold it back to Titles. There's no point buying a book from an upper year if you can get it used at the bookstore for cheaper. Also, make sure that it's the right edition. Last year, many people bought chem textbooks from upper years, not knowing they changed the edition.
Old 08-22-2008 at 09:32 AM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Ditto. When I sell my books to students, I sell at cheaper than the used price at titles. If you're going to pay 90 bucks you may as well buy the new one from the school for crying out loud!