MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bus in Hamilton Iconik General Discussion 4 09-18-2012 09:36 AM
New Hamilton App Will Help Students Better Explore Hamilton's Hidden Gems Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-27-2012 06:51 AM
Quebec Protesters Visit Hamilton: CBC Hamilton huzaifa47 Politics 18 07-31-2012 12:42 PM
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM

What is Hamilton Like?

Old 02-09-2014 at 04:13 PM   #16
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

It's like Milton without the Ha

Old 02-10-2014 at 03:40 PM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
It's like Milton without the Ha
And with a university, although Milton is getting a campus soon I think
Old 02-26-2014 at 06:28 AM   #18
kasabian
Account Locked

Liked: 1 Time

Having grown up in Hamilton my entire life, I can honestly say it's a shithole. I think most of you come from boring suburban backgrounds and therefore find the poverty alluring and charming but if you grew up around it and are trying to escape it, it's not fun. The city is a magnet for useless unemployable fuck ups and apparently has one of the highest rates of mentally ill people and Ontario Works/disability claimants. The air quality is fucking terrible, you can't walk around downtown or stand at a bus stop without being accosted for money or smokes, the people are uneducated unfriendly slobs, and on top of that- there's nothing to do. The malls suck, the parks suck, there's nothing here that's unique and can't be found elsewhere.

That said, the only nice part of the city is the West Mountain. If you like hiking or have a dog, there's lots of trails and waterfalls to visit.

amare likes this.
Old 02-26-2014 at 06:36 AM   #19
kasabian
Account Locked

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
The HSR driver who operates the 51 and sings over the intercom deserves a promotion - stat.
Is it a middle aged guy with a moustache? I know at least 5 girls and 2 guys who think he's super hot.
Old 02-26-2014 at 08:59 AM   #20
BilluRises

Liked: 3 Times

hamilton sucks
Old 02-26-2014 at 09:36 AM   #21
Chewie

Liked: 2 Times

When I applied, I knew Hamilton will never be like a Toronto. But, everyone I spoke to on campus and on MacInsiders raved about how much there was to offer in Hamilton.

But, in all honesty, the city sucks. There are some nice things around - hiking in Cootes (right behind campus) and waterfalls (which you'll have to bus a long time to get to one), but half of the time that you are on campus for school, it's way too cold, icy, etc. to actually go see this stuff.

I do agree that the Mac campus really makes up for the city during first year when you're living on res, but once you move out - that's when it hit me how terrible the city is. There's absolutely nothing to do around and nothing is as convenient as it sounds.

Everyone has a different experience to Mac. I know my housemates all come from the suburbs and smaller towns, so Hamilton is definitely an interesting change. But, coming from Toronto, I hate this place and it just unmotivated me to even want to go to school, even if that's the only reason why I'm here.
Old 02-26-2014 at 10:02 AM   #22
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

Hamilton is definitely not the worst place in the world, but it's not the best either.

Some people love it, some people don't. I guess my advice would be to attempt to explore and have your own experience. I moved here with an open mind.. and let's just say I will be glad to leave haha!

Westdale is nice, downtown is ok.. I mean I don't really see anything about Hamilton that separates it or makes it better from any other city in Southern Ontario. The things people say are so unique and great about Hamilton are usually more easily found (and better) in other cities.

But if you are in a program you really love and like campus, going to McMaster makes it worth it!

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2014 at 05:48 PM   #23
Tina_Belcher

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
If one actually bothers to spend some time downtown then one would probably realize how amazing this city is. The arts movement is astounding and the tiny boutiques and specialty stores continue to amaze me. I absolutely love the downtown core of Hamilton, there is so much there if you actually bother looking. Take a stroll down Locke, Augusta, John, James North etc and actually check out the shops, restaurants, cafes and bars and you will see what I mean. I cannot wait to get out of Westdale and move downtown, the vibe is completely different in the best way possible.

When you say "move downtown", do you mean in one of the dilapidated crackden neighbourhoods, or a gentrified condo block most likely paid for by mommy and daddy? There's a big difference. I guess if you're some sheltered hipster rich kid who enjoys slumming it and thinks poverty is ~cool Hamilton would be the perfect playground for you.
Old 03-11-2014 at 06:34 PM   #24
mainaln

Liked: 0 Times

Great Great Great
I was asking the same question last year this time. Living in Toronto, I thought I couldn't possibly like Hamilton but it has been the opposite I am loving it here. The people are very helpful and sweet; specially the bus drivers. It is a safe and clean city.
-NM