MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Fail??? mfattal General Discussion 23 09-20-2010 02:51 PM
To fail, or not to fail? That is the question... sniderj Academics 13 04-22-2010 06:09 PM
Fail, Fail, Fail??? nikJ Academics 1 01-03-2010 01:52 AM
fail?? nikJ Academics 5 10-26-2009 09:05 PM
mega fail dadanny Academics 1 12-11-2008 02:13 PM

what happens if you fail a course..

Old 04-21-2010 at 08:42 PM   #1
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

what happens if you fail a course..
What happens if I fail one elective course in first year social sciences? Will I be kicked out or not be able to go into second year?
Old 04-21-2010 at 08:47 PM   #2
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsanx View Post
What happens if I fail one elective course in first year social sciences? Will I be kicked out or not be able to go into second year?
Generally speaking you will not be kicked out. But you will need to meet the CA requirements for admission to level 2, and the 0 will be included in your average. You will also need to take an extra elective sometime through your university career to ensure you have enough credits overall.
Old 04-21-2010 at 08:53 PM   #3
xsanx

are you serious thats awesome. that being said I'm still going to try and pass my course, but I was just worried.. thanks
Old 04-21-2010 at 08:54 PM   #4
xsanx

and yes my average will still be way over the average that I need so no worries there
Old 04-21-2010 at 08:56 PM   #5
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

No problem. Now, that's the general case. You should check your program's academic regulations to ensure that there isn't some rule which says you can't move to Level 2 without 30 credits. You should be able to find them in the Academic Calendar on the Registrar's website.

xsanx says thanks to sniderj for this post.
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:21 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Nope, you're fine.

For some reason I took calc as an elective (????) and failed it. I went on to level 2, but the F dropped my average down a heck of a lot, so I had to mirror the honours program for a year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

xsanx says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:22 PM   #7
xsanx

Well I'm applying for the B.A in Health aging and society and this is all it says for the requirements.. does this mean that I don't need 30 units exactly?..

Enrolment in this program is limited. Selection is based on academic achievement but requires, as a minimum, completion of any Level I program with a minimum Cumulative Average of 3.5 and an average of at least 4.0 in HLTH AGE 1AA3 and 1BB3.
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:23 PM   #8
xsanx

oh nvm, at the bottom it says:

30 units from the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program (see Admission above)
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:29 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

To be honest, I don't fully understand how this works.

A full course load according to the university is 24 units. I was accepted into my program with 27, with the stipulation I had to make up the three units before I graduated.

Your best bet, I think is to ask an academic advisor.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-21-2010 at 09:30 PM   #10
xsanx

sorry for bombarding ya'll with the messages, but im just worried here :( this is what it says, could someone explain this to me it would be very appreciated!

33 units Electives. If not completed in Level I, a minimum of six units must be from the Faculty of Humanities and/or the Department of Religious Studies.
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:31 PM   #11
xsanx

yea lorend, i think your right, thats what i'm going to go do asap!
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:52 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
33 units Electives. If not completed in Level I, a minimum of six units must be from the Faculty of Humanities and/or the Department of Religious Studies.
You will be able to attain the 33 units of electives easily by the time you finish your degree.

Old 04-21-2010 at 09:55 PM   #13
xsanx

thank you so much I LOVE YOU GUYS
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:57 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Or just me? lol.

I also hate how those stupid calenders are written. It takes you a couple of years to be able to understand them, but then there still are some tricky bits. Grrrr.