MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anthro 2G03 Anna M 2nd Year Course Reviews 7 06-18-2017 04:57 PM
Anthro 2g03 mizz.s. Academics 7 10-13-2010 10:11 PM
Anthro 2G03 on this week? Raeann89 Academics 5 10-11-2010 03:18 PM
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
French 2nd Year (how Hard Is 2g03?) ms. mandazi Academics 2 09-26-2008 11:36 AM

How hard is Anthro 2G03?

Old 03-07-2011 at 12:02 PM   #1
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

How hard is Anthro 2G03?
Is anyone taking Anthro 2G03 this year (or has taken it recently)? i've heard that the course has changed a lot over the past few years and the tests are a lot harder now. Is this true?
Apparently you need 3 units of first-year anthro to take this course. Do you think I would be able to take this course without any having any previous knowledge in anthropology (I am thinking of getting the prereq waived)

Thanks
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:54 PM   #2
kanthamd

Liked: 8 Times

You don't really need three units of first year anthro; I think that was just so people stopped taking it as a bird course. They did the same thing with Earth Sci 3GG3. The course isn't hard, it is just a matter of getting though and remembering all of the material. Some of the readings were so long and I would fall asleep while reading them. Those are the tests I didn't do so well on, but even then my lowest mark on a test was in the 60s. My highest was a 94. The stories are summarized in lecture as well, and the lectures are in a courseware. You could probably get by just reading through that but I found it much easier to review the notes once I had read the stories. And the tests are really straight forward.... they are multiple choice and the questions follow the courseware so you get asked stuff in the order that you read it. Dr Colarusso was an awesome prof.

Last edited by kanthamd : 03-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.

rcmp1234 says thanks to kanthamd for this post.
Old 03-08-2011 at 04:06 PM   #3
fffw

Liked: 0 Times

the only reason the tests changed was because someone had gotten them and they were getting passed around every year so thats why everyone thought it was a bird course... not that its the most intense course either just like anything do the readings and youll do well
Old 03-08-2011 at 04:09 PM   #4
TheChocolate

Liked: 5 Times

I took this class last semester. I found it extremely easy because the prof KNOWS it's supposed to be a bird course and he says this many times.

I only went to about 3 classes, but didn't find them useful so I stopped going and only showed up for the tests and exam. My study pattern was to look over my notes for about 1-2 hours the day before each test. Overall, I got an 11. It's multiple choice and most of the questions are very simple. He says he wants you to understand the basics and will never ask for specific dates or anything.

rcmp1234 says thanks to TheChocolate for this post.
Old 03-08-2011 at 04:20 PM   #5
Guido

Liked: 2 Times

It's as hard as my...nevermind....
Old 03-08-2011 at 04:50 PM   #6
Mikob11
Account Locked

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
It's as hard as my...nevermind....
As hard as your:
Old 03-08-2011 at 05:28 PM   #7
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

how many MC questions are on the midterm and how heavy are the readings?

Last edited by rcmp1234 : 03-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2011 at 06:23 PM   #8
TheChocolate

Liked: 5 Times

There are 5 units and 5 tests (50 multiple choice). The last test is scheduled during exam period.

I didn't find the readings too heavy as some units has shorter myths. For instance, Rig Veda was pretty light since they were hymns and not long myths. They're interesting to read so it probably won't bore you either.

There's the custom courseware which is basic outlines of his powerpoint presentation. It's a skeleton outline but it's good for studying. That's one of the reasons I didn't find going to class very useful because I already had a copy of his notes. You'll be buying a lot of books for this course, but don't worry about actually reading through the entire thing. He gives you a small selection of myths for each unit.

rcmp1234 says thanks to TheChocolate for this post.