MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical Engineering and Management 3rd Year KuNFuZeD Academics 6 12-27-2012 01:41 AM
Chemical engineering 4 adeelb Academics 4 05-03-2012 09:00 PM
Chemical and Bio Engineering. TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 11-13-2011 05:54 PM
Chemical bio engineering! muons Academics 1 03-20-2011 07:12 PM

How Hard is it to get into CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT

Old 05-10-2013 at 11:10 PM   #1
someone

Liked: 0 Times

How Hard is it to get into CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT
I have a 90 average in highschool and i was wondering how difficult it would be to get CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT as my program in second year. Please respond thank you.
Old 05-10-2013 at 11:24 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
I have a 90 average in highschool and i was wondering how difficult it would be to get CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT as my program in second year. Please respond thank you.
Simple & short answer: Your high school marks can only play the role of a rough indicator of your first year marks. Your admission to a specialization in Engineering solely depend on your first year marks unless they were high enough to get a free choice or whatever it is called. In that case, you just need to meet the minimum requirements I believe to stay in Engineering to enter your stream of choice.
Old 05-10-2013 at 11:31 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Management is not part of the free choice and chemical engineering is not a competitive program to get into. I don't exactly know what the free choice avg is because it changes each year, but i think it's above 90.
If you want management you need to work hard in first year.

Last edited by jim1 : 05-10-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2013 at 09:43 AM   #4
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Simple & short answer: Your high school marks can only play the role of a rough indicator of your first year marks. Your admission to a specialization in Engineering solely depend on your first year marks unless they were high enough to get a free choice or whatever it is called. In that case, you just need to meet the minimum requirements I believe to stay in Engineering to enter your stream of choice.
I actually couldn't disagree more, IMO they play zero role. Your marks in Eng I are solely determined by your study habits. As we all know, high school marks did not reflect such reasoning. You could coast in high school doing minimal studying and still pull off 90s, but i'd bet you that kid in your class who worked his/her ass off to get that 90 comparatively will do much better in Eng I. If you never developed those time management skills and study habits, you're playing catch-up come september.

To the OP, ChemE usually doesn't have a very high cut-off since most engineers despise chem with a passion (as you'll soon find out when you take CHEM 1EO3 and everyone starts complaining). Management on the other hand is a minor with limited spots and is much tougher to get into. Sadly since this is all determined on a supply & demand basis, you really have no way to know the odds of you getting in unless you poll your whole class. In my year anyways i knew a guy in chem eng and management and i think he had around a 7ish average? Equivalent to about low 70s, but i have no idea if he was near the cut-off, in the middle, or way above - no clue.

For most streams anyways, getting a CGPA in the 70s will usually guarantee wherever you want to go, minors included.
Old 05-11-2013 at 11:13 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Management is not part of the free choice and chemical engineering is not a competitive program to get into. I don't exactly know what the free choice avg is because it changes each year, but i think it's above 90.
If you want management you need to work hard in first year.
Ah, that's good to know. I'll keep that part in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
I actually couldn't disagree more, IMO they play zero role. Your marks in Eng I are solely determined by your study habits. As we all know, high school marks did not reflect such reasoning. You could coast in high school doing minimal studying and still pull off 90s, but i'd bet you that kid in your class who worked his/her ass off to get that 90 comparatively will do much better in Eng I. If you never developed those time management skills and study habits, you're playing catch-up come september.

To the OP, ChemE usually doesn't have a very high cut-off since most engineers despise chem with a passion (as you'll soon find out when you take CHEM 1EO3 and everyone starts complaining). Management on the other hand is a minor with limited spots and is much tougher to get into. Sadly since this is all determined on a supply & demand basis, you really have no way to know the odds of you getting in unless you poll your whole class. In my year anyways i knew a guy in chem eng and management and i think he had around a 7ish average? Equivalent to about low 70s, but i have no idea if he was near the cut-off, in the middle, or way above - no clue.

For most streams anyways, getting a CGPA in the 70s will usually guarantee wherever you want to go, minors included.
You're entitled to your own opinion. So, disagree all you'd like, but I still stand by what I said. I used to word rough, because I do believe it does serve as a rough indicator. Meaning, just because your high school marks were high, doesn't mean your first year marks will necessarily be the same.
Old 05-12-2013 at 12:19 PM   #6
Bubbles1111

Liked: 19 Times

As a student who just finished first year eng, I can honestly say that your high school marks have no indication on the marks you will get in university. University is a complete shift from highschool in terms of structure and study habits so if you can adapt to that earlier on in the year and study smart, you should have no issues getting into chem & mgmt

jim1 likes this.