MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng + Minors.. and other stuff Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-18-2010 01:20 AM
Possible Minors w/ Comp. Sci.? Andrew A Academics 10 07-31-2010 06:08 PM
Majors and Minors? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-19-2010 11:45 AM
Minors really worth it? tammy37 Academics 36 08-21-2009 10:21 AM
Minors Kevin Academics 4 05-14-2008 10:28 AM

Hard Minors?

Old 05-30-2011 at 09:27 AM   #1
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Hard Minors?
Anyone out there taking a hard minor? What are your experiences taking it and is it worth it?

Im in the math and stats program and want to minor in computer science solely b/c several job descriptions I have looked at include something along the lines: "Must have knowledge of visual basic or SQL"

That being said I also want to be accepted into the co-op program, in 3rd year and am afraid of bringing down my average with the comp sci courses b/c I have no prior programming experience. To the comp-sci majors, can I do well enough in the comp sci courses to be accepted (10-11 achievable?) in the co-op? or should I minor in something I can do relatively well in instead (Economics)?

your answers are much appreciated.
Old 05-30-2011 at 09:52 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

If you have the option, avoid comp sci 1FC3, it could kill your average.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:05 AM   #3
tyrant
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
If you have the option, avoid comp sci 1FC3, it could kill your average.
unfortunately its not an option you need it for your minor.....damn.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:25 AM   #4
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

I'm in the math and stats program about to enter co-op this year, and I am trying to minor in econ as well. Econ so far is fairly easy, first year and second year econ courses generally are. I know third and fourth year courses should be harder. However, since I'm in co-op now, I find it might be hard to get a minor in econ because of course conflicts, courses not being offered, etc. Also, being a math major you could probably do well in 1FC3. I never took it but I heard it is very doable
Old 05-30-2011 at 11:42 AM   #5
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I got a 12 this year in both CS 1MD3 and 1FC3. So yes I'd say 10-11 is achievable...

macsci likes this.
Old 05-31-2011 at 06:25 AM   #6
tyrant
Account Locked

Appreciate your answers guys but I've decided against the comp sci minor, while it would be nice I just can't risk killing my average I barely have the 6.0 necessary for second year. I've read a couple of course reviews that scared me off (something about memorizing hundreds of axioms!?) and I know myself and I always get a little tired by second semester. (trying to break the trend this year).

so I will be minoring in econ

thanks for your answers!
Old 05-31-2011 at 06:37 AM   #7
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

You have to be careful if you want to be in co-op as well as minoring in something!

I'm in chemistry co-op and also minoring in math, I have to plan very carefully in my upper years since our 3rd years consists of 2 1st terms and 4th year with 2 2nd terms only. You have to be careful that you may not have the opportunity to take the upper year courses due to timing and pre-requisites.

Take as many courses you need during summer to avoid future conflicts while you can!

tyrant says thanks to Serene for this post.
Old 05-31-2011 at 08:08 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
Anyone out there taking a hard minor? What are your experiences taking it and is it worth it?

Im in the math and stats program and want to minor in computer science solely b/c several job descriptions I have looked at include something along the lines: "Must have knowledge of visual basic or SQL"

That being said I also want to be accepted into the co-op program, in 3rd year and am afraid of bringing down my average with the comp sci courses b/c I have no prior programming experience. To the comp-sci majors, can I do well enough in the comp sci courses to be accepted (10-11 achievable?) in the co-op? or should I minor in something I can do relatively well in instead (Economics)?

your answers are much appreciated.
I'm not in Comp. Sci yet but programming is really easy. There are many tutorials online which could help you learn the syntax of the programming language and there are several students who are probably willing to help you with level I courses.
Old 05-31-2011 at 08:49 AM   #9
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
You have to be careful if you want to be in co-op as well as minoring in something!

I'm in chemistry co-op and also minoring in math, I have to plan very carefully in my upper years since our 3rd years consists of 2 1st terms and 4th year with 2 2nd terms only. You have to be careful that you may not have the opportunity to take the upper year courses due to timing and pre-requisites.

Take as many courses you need during summer to avoid future conflicts while you can!
I thought you couldn't take courses in the summer because of co-op? Or unless you mean before the first term of co-op starts. Because I know I somehow might get screwed with not being able to take certain electives for my minor
Old 05-31-2011 at 09:01 AM   #10
tyrant
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post

thanks that's very important, it would suck if I couldn't complete the minor b/c a course wasn't offered in second semester!
Old 05-31-2011 at 11:43 AM   #11
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankNullity View Post
I'm in the math and stats program about to enter co-op this year
Hey, do you know the average needed to get into a math&stats co-op?? I am planning on doing the stats specialization...