MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardest Engineering I courses? lkaemmer20 Academics 18 06-02-2012 03:45 PM
What's the hardest elective I can take? I like a good challenge... lux Academics 32 05-31-2012 02:40 PM
Medical Radiation Sciences program = Hardest undergrad program ? mastercool First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 11-27-2011 10:27 PM
Whats the hardest course you've ever taken? sycoman Academics 65 08-22-2009 09:52 AM

What is the hardest Commerce course?

Old 06-25-2013 at 05:59 PM   #1
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

What is the hardest Commerce course?
In your opinion, what are the top 3 (in order) hardest REQUIRED Commerce courses at DeGroote.

Also, if anyone is doing a marketing specialization, can you tell me how the workload is in 3rd and 4th year vs 2nd year?
Old 06-25-2013 at 09:52 PM   #2
Commie42
Elite Member

Anyone.....?
Old 06-25-2013 at 10:40 PM   #3
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

#1 Policy course you have to take in 4th year (4PA3 I think)
#2 Commerce 1E03
#3 International Business (If you have Stockton, though she is a fantastic professor, just a hard marker)
Old 06-25-2013 at 11:00 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicdream View Post
#1 Policy course you have to take in 4th year (4PA3 I think)
#2 Commerce 1E03
#3 International Business (If you have Stockton, though she is a fantastic professor, just a hard marker)
You found 1E03 that bad? I didn't at all. Maybe because I took business all through high school. The marking was hard for the reports but not unbearable. What did you find challenging about policy?
Old 06-25-2013 at 11:18 PM   #5
melodicdream

Well it was about 4-5 years ago so I can't remember very well but it certainly was a memorable course probably because I didn't exactly have the best group for those reports. You wouldn't believe how unprofessional some people can be although they're in business. -_-

Policy was challenging not because of the content but because of the workload. It's incredibly time intensive, especially when you get to the online virtual simulation that you have to complete as a group called CAPSIM.

Now that I've graduated, I would have to say that it isn't the content that's difficult in any of these required courses, most of them you can study for on your own time (which means you could skip some of your courses and use that time more wisely). It really depends on how time-intensive they are and how good your other group members are.

Commie42 says thanks to melodicdream for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 06-26-2013 at 08:37 AM   #6
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicdream View Post
Well it was about 4-5 years ago so I can't remember very well but it certainly was a memorable course probably because I didn't exactly have the best group for those reports. You wouldn't believe how unprofessional some people can be although they're in business. -_-

Policy was challenging not because of the content but because of the workload. It's incredibly time intensive, especially when you get to the online virtual simulation that you have to complete as a group called CAPSIM.

Now that I've graduated, I would have to say that it isn't the content that's difficult in any of these required courses, most of them you can study for on your own time (which means you could skip some of your courses and use that time more wisely). It really depends on how time-intensive they are and how good your other group members are.
Thanks! How did you find second and third year finance compared to the rest of the required courses? I'm much more of a marketing and creatives guy than a finance and numbers guy.
Old 06-26-2013 at 08:45 AM   #7
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
In your opinion, what are the top 3 (in order) hardest REQUIRED Commerce courses at DeGroote.

Also, if anyone is doing a marketing specialization, can you tell me how the workload is in 3rd and 4th year vs 2nd year?
Ok... is this a trick question?
Old 06-26-2013 at 09:30 AM   #8
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCherry View Post
Ok... is this a trick question?
Are you saying there aren't any hard Commerce courses??
Old 06-26-2013 at 09:52 AM   #9
BusterCherry
Account Locked

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Are you saying there aren't any hard Commerce courses??
... now what would have led you to such a bizarre conclusion such as that
Old 06-26-2013 at 10:21 AM   #10
tfcfan01

Liked: Liked 5 Times

I just finished a marketing specialitzation, get ready for a lot of group work, but pretty interesting courses and decent profs. Take Malik any chance you get.

In terms of workload, its not bad as long as you can manage your time well with all your group projects/meetings. If you have questions on specific marketing courses.
Old 06-26-2013 at 10:25 AM   #11
melodicdream

Quote:
Thanks! How did you find second and third year finance compared to the rest of the required courses? I'm much more of a marketing and creatives guy than a finance and numbers guy.
True, I almost forgot about those. They are slightly harder than some of the required courses but they still don't trump the difficulty of the Policy course. Finance people tend to do better on the simulation though so some people might have actually found the Policy course easy.

2nd year finance was horrible because the prof uses his own material that you have to purchase. I found several mistakes in the textbook, one was of a major formula that we had to know. If I remember correctly, I actually found the courseware quite useless but had no other choice but to study from it because there was no other resource. Go to your tutorials though because I found that some of the TAs were WAYYYY better than the prof. Without the TAs I probably would've failed that course.

3rd year finance is much better and I actually found super easy but a lot of people also tell me that they found it really difficult. I found that the courseware was quite easy to read and understand but other people also found it to be otherwise. I found that once you go through all the theory that's been taught, and complete ALL of the past midterms then you'll do well on the exams.

A lot of people initially go into business wanting to do marketing but end up doing something like accounting instead so definitely keep an open mind about things. DeGroote also has a lot of great marketing-related competitions like MARS Apprentice so make sure you participate in them. To get a marketing job, its not just the courses that you take but also the marketing experience that you have.

Commie42 says thanks to melodicdream for this post.

Commie42 likes this.