MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did Harper do? doppelganger Politics 146 04-20-2011 03:24 AM
Wanna Live In Mills For A Week To Fund Raise For Libraries In India? sohanin Volunteering Opportunities 4 12-02-2010 12:44 PM
World Life Fund at McMaster nilinav Clubs & Groups 0 10-01-2009 12:03 PM
Thtr + Flm 3AA3 - Modern European Drama??? micadjems Academics 3 07-08-2009 08:38 AM
Why I am happy I voted for Harper, and not Obama. deadpool General Discussion 26 02-16-2009 06:18 PM

Harper’s refusal to join European Bail Out Fund

Old 06-09-2012 at 12:49 AM   #1
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Harper’s refusal to join European Bail Out Fund
"Germany is expressing its irritation with Canada for refusing to contribute to an international bailout fund as Prime Minister Stephen Harper faces increased pressure from the G20 to show “solidarity” with countries tackling Europe’s financial crisis.'

http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/new...rticle4240996/

I have conflicted feelings about this. I usually don't like many of Harper's moves, but this time I feel like he did the right thing.

Do you think this will harm us long term?

Edit: I wish you could edit the titles in threads, that's not exactly what I wanted it to be... but oh well, too late now
Old 06-09-2012 at 01:31 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Fixed, 12chars

Eternal Fire says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 06-09-2012 at 01:54 AM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Kudos to him for that.
I especially agree with this:
"Ottawa insists the IMF exists to help the world’s developing countries, not Europe, and Canada takes the position that it is standing up for non-G20 countries that are uncomfortable with IMF funds going to the euro zone."
I get that the world economy will be impacted if europe has more economic trouble, but to put priority on european countries (who have landed themselves in that mess on their own) above developing countries trying to grow their own economies is unfair. (especially when sometimes, it's the developed countries keeping the undeveloped countries out of certain markets or devaluing their products.... ex. the coffee situation in some african countries)
Old 06-09-2012 at 06:52 AM   #4
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

I completely agree. throwing money at a situation is not going to help when the European system needs to correct what went wrong in the first place. Besides, that money can be used for numerous other benefits right here in Canada, or better yet, to make sure that we don't fall into a similar financial situation as the Europeans by careful spending and saving for uncertain times. Or...we can make sure that MPs stop buying $16 dollar orange juice on taxpayer dollars. (which, as a conservative, I am really not happy about)
Old 06-09-2012 at 08:33 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Holy crap! Harper did something good!

drpatel likes this.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:55 AM   #6
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Kudos to him for that.
I especially agree with this:
"Ottawa insists the IMF exists to help the world’s developing countries, not Europe, and Canada takes the position that it is standing up for non-G20 countries that are uncomfortable with IMF funds going to the euro zone."
Funny that Canada and the US say this; the IMF does not help developing countries, it merely furthers Western corporate interest in said countries (while, of course, enriching a very small privileged class inside the developing countries).

While I've got nothing against Harper's decision not to contribute, it's ridiculous to see him use that as a justification, and even more ridiculous to see the Canadian public actually buying that nonsense.

In any case, the Germans are upset more about the symbolism (in Canada's case) than the funds.

In any case, the Euro is a sinking ship that will drag us down with it, independently of whether or not Canada contributes a few pennies into the fund. Harper ought to focus on how to keep us afloat in this situation, it's looking more and more likely.

Old 06-09-2012 at 12:07 PM   #7
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Although I hate Harper with a passion, I would have to agree with this decision. Europe is more than wealthy enough to deal with this crisis. It is just that there is no political will. Why the hell should we pay for other problems when we also have problems at home. We kept our house in order and we weathered this recession better than any other country. What kind of message will this be sending if we send billions of dollars to a country that lived way beyond its means? Sure there may be times when it is justifiable that other countries help out but how can we justify throwing money at the problem in the Eurozone when they are capable of handling the problems themselves? They should get there act together soon and realize that a crisis in their continent means problems for the rest of the world as well.