MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry Potter GCSM Movies & Television 56 09-12-2011 05:50 PM
Harry Potter & the D.H. Scuderia Movies & Television 50 11-22-2010 12:42 AM
Harry Potter!! Infinity General Discussion 68 07-27-2009 11:14 AM
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince lorend General Discussion 36 11-22-2008 04:19 PM

Harry Potter DH: Reactions

Old 07-28-2011 at 02:58 PM   #31
fonge5

Liked: 2 Times

IT WAS SO EPICCCC!!!
im so sad its done :(
Old 07-28-2011 at 03:07 PM   #32
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

So question: did Harry come back to life because he got all three Deathly Hallow thingys (the stone, cloak and wand) and he cheated death, or did he come back to life because voldemort killed his own soul instead of harry and harry survived?
Old 07-28-2011 at 07:27 PM   #33
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

1) voldemort is killing harry with the elder wand, which is allied to harry

2) harry does become master of death - not only does he unite the hallows, but more importantly, he accepts death and willingly dies despite having the hallows.

3) voldemort got harry's blood to get back to life in goblet of fire, so lily's protection of harry lives in both voldemort and harry, and as long as either of them are alive, it will keep protecting harry. basically, by using harry's blood, voldemort gave harry a "horcrux", something on earth (voldemort himself, carrying lily's protection), whose continued existence would keep alive the person (harry) who it is protecting.

so the curse, this time, didn't backfire (like it did when harry was a baby), but it killed the part of voldemort's soul that resided in harry
Old 07-28-2011 at 11:16 PM   #34
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
1) voldemort is killing harry with the elder wand, which is allied to harry

2) harry does become master of death - not only does he unite the hallows, but more importantly, he accepts death and willingly dies despite having the hallows.

3) voldemort got harry's blood to get back to life in goblet of fire, so lily's protection of harry lives in both voldemort and harry, and as long as either of them are alive, it will keep protecting harry. basically, by using harry's blood, voldemort gave harry a "horcrux", something on earth (voldemort himself, carrying lily's protection), whose continued existence would keep alive the person (harry) who it is protecting.

so the curse, this time, didn't backfire (like it did when harry was a baby), but it killed the part of voldemort's soul that resided in harry
It's basically layered. From my reading, this is how I made sense of all of it. I tried to give everything its own little role... I should note both Voldy and Harry knew most of this was going on... Harry even warned Voldy.

1. In the forest, AK hits Harry and kills the Horcrux in him. This is happens because Lily's charm protects 'real' Harry. The spell is redirected it to the only other living/kinda living thing around (Voldy's Horcrux/soul/whatever). The theory I like is that the Elder Wand worked here (the spell is redirected instead of backfiring like it does later) because it finds something else to hit (the Horcrux) and is in fact helping its master, and hence doesn't 'need' to formally backfire.

1.5 Harry goes to limbo and gets to 'choose' to go back because he is master of death (this might explain why Dumbledore was here as well, he's had each hallow in his possession at one point, though I'm not sure if they all have to be owned at the same time in be considered a master of death. He -did- choose to die, like Harry, though. The again, he's exceptionally powerful, so I'm ok with it, lol). The fact that the Horcrux was the thing that died and not Harry himself also comes into play (otherwise there would be no one to go back...)

2. Harry dying puts Lily's charm into effect on everyone on his team. Harry has a line about it in the book. It's -possible- this is why Molly was able to take out Bellatrix (Molly's a housewife, Bella is Voldy's second in command...) and none of the three Profs (Slughorn, McGon and someone) who were dueling Voldy weren't killed (he probably could have wiped them off the map, Dumbledore could only stalemate him in Book 5, never mind Book 7...)

3. When Harry and Voldy have their final showdown, both Lily's charm and the Elder Wand come into play. The Elder Wand refuses to kill Harry because it recognizes him. IMHO, this is why Expelliarmus, a weak disarming spell learned in 1st or 2nd year, beats the AK. The reason AK backfires and doesn't just dissipate is due to Lily's protection (as it did in the beginning). So both Lily's charm and the Wand are saying 'not Harry,' and both direct the spell back to Voldy.

/that's how I made sense of it when I read it. It was a while ago, though.

Last edited by britb : 07-28-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2011 at 11:32 PM   #35
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

so basically, Voldemort spent all that effort in getting himself back to life in "Goblet of Fire", and all he really accomplished was keeping harry alive while he lives, while keeping with Harry the possibility to kill Voldemort.

and yeah i remember #2 - none of Voldemort's spells are lasting in the castle, because Harry willingly died for them the same way Lily died for Harry. I think Neville broke out of a charm of Voldy's to kill Nagini lol, not sure about the Neville bit though. except i don't think it's lily's charm, it's basically Harry's protection over everyone else in the castle.

the Dumbledore bit was in his imagination I'm pretty sure - that's what Dumbledore says - but that would mean Harry figured out all that stuff that Dumbledore said on his own while imagining Dumbledore telling him everything, sounds a bit iffy, but he is the chosen one
Old 07-29-2011 at 03:57 AM   #36
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

WHERE WAS THIS TOPIC THE DAY THE MOVIE WAS RELEASED.

Anyway. I absolutely loved it. I've seen it twice, but still not in 3D, unfortunately. I think it's the best of the lot.

I just LOVE it when Voldemort laughs after he brings Harry's body to the others. And that awkward Voldy/Draco hug...LOL.

Did anyone else find the Voldy/Harry wand-red-green-glowy scenes repetitive? First on the stairs. Then that big burts pre-Nagini killing. And then that final one. If they'd just kept one, it would have been better.

Also, I liked the scene in the book much better. Him being killed publicly. And the whole "Try for some remorse, Tom" bit.

I loved the Epilogue, too...they looked awesome. Albus Severus sounds a lot worse spoken than in print. O____O

Oh, oh, also, Snape's memories.... <3 Alan Rickman is AWESOME. He seriously nailed those scenes. I realize that the 'You have your mother's eyes' line was necessary, but I would really have loved just leaving it at "Look...at me..."

jeyakv, LindsayL216 like this.
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:17 AM   #37
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
so basically, Voldemort spent all that effort in getting himself back to life in "Goblet of Fire", and all he really accomplished was keeping harry alive while he lives, while keeping with Harry the possibility to kill Voldemort.

and yeah i remember #2 - none of Voldemort's spells are lasting in the castle, because Harry willingly died for them the same way Lily died for Harry. I think Neville broke out of a charm of Voldy's to kill Nagini lol, not sure about the Neville bit though. except i don't think it's lily's charm, it's basically Harry's protection over everyone else in the castle.

the Dumbledore bit was in his imagination I'm pretty sure - that's what Dumbledore says - but that would mean Harry figured out all that stuff that Dumbledore said on his own while imagining Dumbledore telling him everything, sounds a bit iffy, but he is the chosen one
Yeah pretty much. Dumbledore said at one point using Harry's blood was a huge mistake on his part. But we know how proud and trophy-loving Voldy is, plus how to totally disregards branches of magic that he doesn't believe in, so it fits that he did it anyway.

I was just using Lily's charm to keep it consistent/less confusing. I mean it was the same spell that Lily had on Harry, not that it was the original (in this case it's Harry's charm on everyone at Hogwarts, and Lily's charm on Harry).

Imagination idea is good too. It was Dumbledore's "of course its in your head but that doesn't mean its not real" (or something like that) line he had that had me ???ing
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:19 AM   #38
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post

Did anyone else find the Voldy/Harry wand-red-green-glowy scenes repetitive? First on the stairs. Then that big burts pre-Nagini killing. And then that final one. If they'd just kept one, it would have been better.
Yes. It was seen in a film or two before as well. What they are actually doing is using their signature moves - Voldy's AK is always green, and in the films Expelliarmus is red. Plus is looks good... wizard lightning battle! I wish it was more interesting, though, but then again Harry knows like ten spells. I wish they extended Voldy vs Dumbledore in OoTP.

I was more upset about Harry killing Voldy and NO ONE CARING. Seriously, you think they'd just come from a football match or something.

BTW, anyone see this? lolololololololol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahTKZDHXaA

Last edited by britb : 07-29-2011 at 11:21 AM.

waldo92 likes this.
Old 07-29-2011 at 05:38 PM   #39
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
I actually posted this the day it came out. But something weird happened and it didn't show up till the next day.
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:19 AM   #40
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Yes. It was seen in a film or two before as well. What they are actually doing is using their signature moves - Voldy's AK is always green, and in the films Expelliarmus is red. Plus is looks good... wizard lightning battle! I wish it was more interesting, though, but then again Harry knows like ten spells. I wish they extended Voldy vs Dumbledore in OoTP.

I was more upset about Harry killing Voldy and NO ONE CARING. Seriously, you think they'd just come from a football match or something.

BTW, anyone see this? lolololololololol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahTKZDHXaA
Oh, I realized that it was their signature moves and all, I just think they weren't paced widely enough so they all felt clustered together. Still epic, though. And I love the background music (like, it was totally not predictable).

I wish we could've seen Teddy. And that the Weasley parents' appearance at Hogwarts had been explained...I mean, they just appeared...for the battle...conveniently ...
Old 08-03-2011 at 05:14 PM   #41
xphat

Liked: 0 Times

It was awesome. I watched it 3 times to make sure I was content with it hahaa.. and I was.
Except for a little minor details, the stuff they changed from the books that they could've kept..

Example: The House Elves coming out to fight with knives during the epic battle, the Hermione and Ron kiss that was prompted by "But what about the house elves?".. But I guess since they didn't showcase Hermiones protective manner over House Elves in any of the other films they just kept it out.. But I was really looking forward to that part.

The fact that the epic battle between Harry and Voldemort happened outside of the Great Hall, where nobody was watching.. That irked me the most lol.

And I disliked how they made Voldemort seem so humourous, this guy is supposed to be the darkest wizard of all time and the way they portrayed him was just so odd at times. I admit, the hugging of Draco was completely awkward and hilarious though.

And for the 19 years later, I think they totally messed it up. They didn't even show Teddy Lupin, and the only kid who spoke was basically Albus Severus. It would've been nice to see that playful manner from the kids that they inherited from their parents. And the difference between the dark times and the much happier ones. Get what I mean?

Other than that, good movie. Satisfying end to the series!
There were more positive things about the movie than negative.
THE SOUNDTRACK WAS BRILLIANT. And that intro with Alan Rickman (Snape), oh man, best opening sequence ever. He deserves and oscar.
Old 08-03-2011 at 07:29 PM   #42
mel369

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphat View Post
THE SOUNDTRACK WAS BRILLIANT.
I totally agree. It was the best one yet
Except maybe the hogwarts theme in the first one.
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:49 AM   #43
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphat View Post

And for the 19 years later, I think they totally messed it up. They didn't even show Teddy Lupin, and the only kid who spoke was basically Albus Severus. It would've been nice to see that playful manner from the kids that they inherited from their parents. And the difference between the dark times and the much happier ones. Get what I mean?
Okay, let me get this straight...did they show Teddy in the epilogue of the book? No, right? It just had James running in and telling them about Teddy and Victoire. THAT is what they cut out. I think. But I still would've liked to have seen him.

Also...why did James have black hair?! :/
Old 08-07-2011 at 11:51 AM   #44
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Okay, let me get this straight...did they show Teddy in the epilogue of the book? No, right? It just had James running in and telling them about Teddy and Victoire. THAT is what they cut out. I think. But I still would've liked to have seen him.

Also...why did James have black hair?! :/
I think Harry has black hair in the books? Might have been a shout out.
Old 08-09-2011 at 05:56 PM   #45
zafarm

Liked: 0 Times

I think Harry Potter looked better when he was younger. I'm sad that its over and wonder what Daniel will be up to next.