MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LOST: Missing Pencil Case dustman General Discussion 1 09-13-2010 09:09 PM
TSH Basement display case okellyc General Discussion 11 02-02-2009 08:02 PM
A Case of Tuberculosis Found lorend ARCHIVES 0 12-08-2007 03:21 AM

Have you ever been bullied? A case of defending oneself.

Old 03-14-2011 at 08:05 AM   #1
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Have you ever been bullied? A case of defending oneself.
WARNING: The video linked below is graphic. It depict a young overweight kid defending himself against a physical bully of similar age.

http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorilla/bullygetsowned-redditorsarecorrupt.m p4

Its been deleted quickly off Youtube so I decided to borrow a link instead. I'm sure that this video will eventually circulate everywhere including Facebook. That should not prevent worth while discussion on MI.

Society and eventual parents tend not to encourage this type of reaction. First thing they would always seems to say is to speak with the teachers. Sadly they don't realize that under certain circumstances and depending on the age, it would actually make thing worst.

I have younger sisters that I am terrified for. Not for the normal unwanted sexual stuff, but them being bullied and losing themselves in the torture. Its hard to advice them when they do get tease. I do tell them to stand up and react, but to what end?

Have anyone experience being bullied first hand? How did you deal with it? Have you recovered from it? How have you think the experience affected you as a person?

Comments regarding the video are welcome though I'm sure it is generic applause and congratulation to the kid that defended himself though disagreeing at the extreme measure he had to take.

Last edited by PHLN : 03-14-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:18 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

No one ever bullied me (most likely since I towered over everyone from a young age) but I would have been a rather good target, as I am exceedingly non-confrontational.

While I do respect the kid in the video for standing up for himself, piledriving a kid's head into solid concrete is kind of uncool. You can tell it had a pretty bad effect by the way the kid was wobbling around a drunkard who's gotten off of a roller coaster. For that reason I feel that his punishment of the suspension is rather justified, however I feel it's rather unfair that the child who provoked the fight got off scot-free.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-14-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:29 AM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I was bullied terribly in grade six, coming home sobbing every day because I couldn't handle it. My parents had to pull me out of the public school system. I was too scared to get the teachers involved because things could get much worse. I couldn't defend myself, the kids were a lot bigger than me. In high school after 'coming out' then things got worse for a bit, until most people stopped giving a crap.

Anyways, if I had kids getting bullied, I don't think I'd promote the use of physical violence, I'd tell them about self defense, and only use that if things get really worse. However, if it's verbal abuse, I'd do what my parents probably did: alternative schooling.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:31 AM   #4
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
No one ever bullied me (most likely since I towered over everyone from a young age) but I would have been a rather good target, as I am exceedingly non-confrontational.

While I do respect the kid in the video for standing up for himself, piledriving a kid's head into solid concrete is kind of uncool. You can tell it had a pretty bad effect by the way the kid was wobbling around a drunkard who's gotten off of a roller coaster. For that reason I feel that he is punishment of the suspension is rather justified, however I feel it's rather unfair that the child who provoked the fight got off scot-free.
I'm not saying it was the right thing to do. Nor it is not the right thing to do. Debating that is subjective. This goes hands and hands with the punishment.

Remember back when you are that young, how much self control do we really have? When faced with a stressful situation like that, for him to lose control is almost expected. Pile on the repressed feelings he have been suffering from being bullied constantly, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm glad you did not endure such harmful experience when you grew up. During that stage, the personality is at a critical stage for development. You would have guarantee to be a different person you are now (but then you can say that for almost all important experiences).
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:34 AM   #5
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but the tall girl that steps in seems to be saying "back off or he'll do that to you too" and then the second bully backs off.

Mad respect for her using her words to break up a potential second fight.
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:34 AM   #6
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I was bullied terribly in grade six, coming home sobbing every day because I couldn't handle it. My parents had to pull me out of the public school system. I was too scared to get the teachers involved because things could get much worse. I couldn't defend myself, the kids were a lot bigger than me. In high school after 'coming out' then things got worse for a bit, until most people stopped giving a crap.

Anyways, if I had kids getting bullied, I don't think I'd promote the use of physical violence, I'd tell them about self defense, and only use that if things get really worse. However, if it's verbal abuse, I'd do what my parents probably did: alternative schooling.
Thank you for sharing your story.

Did you feel that you are a different person now because of it? Are you more quieter and less confrontational? Or the opposite? Ready to burst out to defend yourself in order to not have it repeated again?

I almost wished the abuse was a physical instead of verbal. The signs would have been easier to catch and dealing with it seems almost easier.

Verbal abuse have the tendency to be ignored because it is perceived as less threatening. This is a mistake since it slowly eat the victim away.

That is my number one worry for my sisters since girls tend to rely on verbal bullying instead of physical. Self esteem issue end up being the main result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but the tall girl that steps in seems to be saying "back off or he'll do that to you too" and then the second bully backs off.

Mad respect for her using her words to break up a potential second fight.
I hear the same thing. It did not seems like it broke up the fight as the end up the video show the second bully still heading toward the kid (who had now withdrawn).
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:37 AM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Well, I made sure I lost all remaining sense of cultural identity and one could probably try and attribute my overcompensating ego to the effects of bullying.

Wee.

It worked itself out in the end, though.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

RyanC likes this.
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:46 AM   #8
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Well, I made sure I lost all remaining sense of cultural identity and one could probably try and attribute my overcompensating ego to the effects of bullying.

Wee.

It worked itself out in the end, though.
Seems like a big lost losing your cultural identity.

How did you escape it? What was your tipping point?

Knowing and experience it all. If you had the ability to go back in time and assume the same you but with the wisdom you gained, how would you react to the situation differently in order to protect yourself?
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:55 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Seems like a big lost losing your cultural identity.

How did you escape it? What was your tipping point?

Knowing and experience it all. If you had the ability to go back in time and assume the same you but with the wisdom you gained, how would you react to the situation differently in order to protect yourself?
I'd bash some heads in, just like the kid in that video did. That's the only you can get a bully to back off. Anyone who says differently has never been bullied.

I can sit here and repeat this goody-two shoe, holier-than-thou "oh, but I was the bigger person and never had to resort to violence... I lived through it and it's made me a better person" bullshit. Stooping down to someone's level and owning the **** out of them feels great, gives you immediate results, and ensures future safety.

Side note: It's okay, I'm just French. We don't have much culture, besides cheese and maple syrup.

arathbon, Entropy like this.
Old 03-14-2011 at 09:10 AM   #10
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
I'd bash some heads in, just like the kid in that video did. That's the only you can get a bully to back off. Anyone who says differently has never been bullied.

I can sit here and repeat this goody-two shoe, holier-than-thou "oh, but I was the bigger person and never had to resort to violence... I lived through it and it's made me a better person" bullshit. Stooping down to someone's level and owning the **** out of them feels great, gives you immediate results, and ensures future safety.

Side note: It's okay, I'm just French. We don't have much culture, besides cheese and maple syrup.
I hate to agree with it but she's right. Im not big on violence and I tell my brother that if anyone bugs him he should go to his teachers bui when I was in elementary and middle school the only way I got them to stop bullying me was when I fought back. I went to teachers and all they did was tell the kids to stop, such a waste. Sometimes you just gotta throw down.

Tailsnake likes this.
Old 03-14-2011 at 09:43 AM   #11
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:

What if you lost the pwnage?
Old 03-14-2011 at 09:45 AM   #12
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Seriously, was bullied all through middle school. One day I just went after the guy responsible. Resulted in a meeting with parents in the principals office. Basically neither of us got in trouble and were told that if either one of us caused trouble again we'd be in serious trouble. Was glad how it worked out. Actually seemed to make it a serious issue rather than it just being ignored by the teachers.

Now in grade 9 it was a bit different. We were told that any fighting would result in both students being suspended. Hence even though I got in fights it didn't stop until I hit someone hard enough that they skipped the rest of the day as there was no intervention by administration. However, this had some permanence as I wasn't picked on anymore.
Old 03-14-2011 at 09:54 AM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
What if you lost the pwnage?
Hasn't really happened yet. I thank the alcohol consumption that is done prior to these moments.

Old 03-14-2011 at 10:07 AM   #14
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

macinsiders are my bullies
Old 03-14-2011 at 10:43 AM   #15
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Before I even saw the entire video I wondered what the skinny little guy was thinking. He probably got what he deserved, they were filming it and trying to embarrass the big guy. What would have happened if he just stood there and did nothing?

The bullies just would have probably called him a ***** or something along those lines, and the bullying just would have continued, probably even worse. The video would have gotten around that showed him just doing nothing, possibly getting punched in the face a couple more times.

I doubt he will have a whole lot of trouble anymore, at least from people picking fights with him (the one downside I could see to this is a bunch of people ganging up on him). This probably wasn't the first incident of people bullying him either, and there is only so much he could take. At least he didn't drop the kid directly on his head, looks like he more slammed him sideways.

He could have dropped the kid right on his head, and paralyzed him. That would have sucked.

All in all I don't think there is much wrong with this kind of action. Deep down we are still animals, and violence is pretty damn effective, especially if words aren't working. There is a reason females are attracted to good physiques. Means the guy can catch food and defend the family if need be. Denying ourselves that part of us and acting as if we are solely intellectual beings won't ever fully happen.

lawleypop likes this.