MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LOST: Missing Pencil Case dustman General Discussion 1 09-13-2010 09:09 PM
TSH Basement display case okellyc General Discussion 11 02-02-2009 08:02 PM
A Case of Tuberculosis Found lorend ARCHIVES 0 12-08-2007 03:21 AM

Have you ever been bullied? A case of defending oneself.

Old 03-14-2011 at 11:25 AM   #16
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

that little turd got pwned
Old 03-14-2011 at 11:31 AM   #17
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I don't know that I've ever been "bullied," per say. There were the typical girl fights at 9 or 10 where one of you would wear something that didn't match and then you were outcasted and gossiped about for a grand total of one day. In public school there was a kid on my school bus who was mean to me for a while because I went through an awkward phase, but a few years later when I was in high school and had long since grown out of it, I rejected him and that felt pretty awesome. So that bullying never really lingered with me as a painful memory after that.

I don't really have any features that scream "target," I guess. I lost the German accent around 5 or 6, around the time when kids were struggling with lisps and the difficulty of pronouncing the letter "r." So even if one of them did notice that I had an accent, they'd be filthy hypocrites. I was in advanced placement classes, but since I didn't grow up in a 90's television show, that didn't make me an outcast. Braces, same thing.

As for the video, I think the bully had it coming. Say what you want about taking the high road, but I bet that kid felt pretty friggin' good after that.
Old 03-14-2011 at 11:35 AM   #18
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

i'm a big believer in words being stronger than any hit. if anything, id teach my kids how to mentally provoke a bully, rather than tell them to push back. making a bully look stupid in front of everyone theyre trying to impress is way more satisfying to the ego
Old 03-14-2011 at 11:51 AM   #19
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
macinsiders are my bullies
I don't really think you have the right to make such a statement. You've repeatedly asked for advice and we've been happy to provide it the first several times, but you can't call us bullies when we get annoyed that you don't take the advice we've given.

Yeah, I'm not the perfect picture of kindness, but you're even starting to get to the people who are.

On-topic: Kylb0t et al. got it right. The bullies were trying to embarrass him, and the skinny kid got exactly what he deserved. If he had just stood there and taken it, or even walked away and reported it, nothing would have been accomplished.

alh24 likes this.
Old 03-14-2011 at 11:54 AM   #20
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Ahaha that kid got what he deserved.
Old 03-14-2011 at 12:02 PM   #21
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

The kid got what he deserved. If someone hits you you better damn well hit back.
Old 03-14-2011 at 12:34 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Have anyone experience being bullied first hand? How did you deal with it? Have you recovered from it? How have you think the experience affected you as a person?...
Yes, I was bullied in elementary school through all high school. Ignored the instigators. For the most part, yes, but not really. Yes, it made me a reclusive and antisocial person and gives me bouts/cycles of depression and suicidal thoughts through the self-reinforcing loss of self-worth.

I hope both those kids are alright.
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:55 PM   #23
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

reddit? 12char

Amaryll likes this.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:06 PM   #24
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
i'm a big believer in words being stronger than any hit. if anything, id teach my kids how to mentally provoke a bully, rather than tell them to push back. making a bully look stupid in front of everyone theyre trying to impress is way more satisfying to the ego
I thinking slamming that kid on the ground while he was being recorded hurt his ego just as much as anything someone could have said to him. Instead of looking big and tough, he was made to look like a puny little wimp.

I don't know if it is a wise idea to mentally provoke someone if they they can kick your ass as well.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:13 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLB0T View Post
I thinking slamming that kid on the ground while he was being recorded hurt his ego just as much as anything someone could have said to him. Instead of looking big and tough, he was made to look like a puny little wimp.

I don't know if it is a wise idea to mentally provoke someone if they they can kick your ass as well.
Here's how I imagine this type of situation:

Big, dumb kid: You're gay.
Nerd: -insert some smart shit here-
Everyone watching: oooooohhhh burn.
big, dumb kid: -swings his big, dumb fists into nerd's face-
nerd: -gets his front teeth knocked out-

Yep, definitely prefer to be big and dumb.

Kids will remember that "burn" for about 2 seconds till the kid gets his ass handed to him on a silver platter.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-14-2011 at 02:17 PM   #26
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLB0T View Post

Might work for girls though. Their form of bullying tends to be mental anyway.

Old 03-14-2011 at 02:24 PM   #27
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

I'm surprised no one brought this up, but there isn't really just one bully. There's also the people recording, and bystanders in the background. Just like how the law reprimands people for being an accessory to a crime, they should do the same to a scenario of bullying, except for the obvious fact that they are usually minors. In that case, the usual suspension/expulsion should do. That's just my opinion though.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:24 PM   #28
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Might work for girls though. Their form of bullying tends to be mental anyway.
Ok, true enough, it might work for girls. I was more thinking from a boys point of view (obviously)
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:33 PM   #29
dromias

Liked: 7 Times

1) The skinny kid was clearly going to get his ass handed to him.
2) The thug bullies that you have to deal with when you're younger, yea, it probably makes sense to fight back. However, as you get older and these people get weeded out from the places you go to, its better to just be the bigger person. In the later stages of highschool and in uni, I've found if you're getting bullied its because of something stupid that you did (like being a jerk) and that it was your fault.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:47 PM   #30
Stock

Liked: 56 Times

lol retaliating with words will never do ANYTHING.

The best thing to do is just punch someone in the face the moment they even attempt to try bullying you.

Cliu91 likes this.