MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Hamilton Hive Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-10-2010 08:43 AM
G test - Hamilton Mac12 Automotive & Transportation 18 05-13-2010 07:07 PM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM

Have your say! What do you like and dislike about Hamilton?

Old 02-16-2010 at 06:43 PM   #16
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
HSR busses occasionally are obscenely crowded.
Too many crazies ride the bus.
Last week, a girl of about 16 got on the already crowded bus outside Westdale High at about 3:30. Before she could push her way through to the back of the bus, she started puking all over the floor near the back door. It splattered on my shoes. ON MY SHOES. She reeked of booze. I was pissed. But the bus just kept going. I got off 2 stops later, and she was still heaving I was getting off. Why she wasnt kicked off, I dont know.
Old 02-16-2010 at 07:38 PM   #17
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

I love this city. Sketchy bus riders, filthy harbour water, HSR and all.
It has personality.
Old 02-16-2010 at 07:48 PM   #18
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Thank you all. All those concerns raised by the time stated were brought up in the meeting. All other comments will still be read and taken into consideration as this is an ongoing process to make the City a place you want be for 3+ years. Your points are legitimate and valued by our committee.

We will keep you posted on future action, events, etc.
Old 02-16-2010 at 08:03 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Last week, a girl of about 16 got on the already crowded bus outside Westdale High at about 3:30. Before she could push her way through to the back of the bus, she started puking all over the floor near the back door. It splattered on my shoes. ON MY SHOES. She reeked of booze. I was pissed. But the bus just kept going. I got off 2 stops later, and she was still heaving I was getting off. Why she wasnt kicked off, I dont know.

Well this one time I read in the Spectator that two drunk girls bashed open the head of a old(I think he was homeless) guy with a beer bottle at 10pmish on the 2 Barton Bus for no apparent reason(maybe a comment by him). The Bus driver did nothing until the guy ran out a few stops later.

I think they have a policy to non intervene.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-16-2010 at 08:05 PM   #20
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well this one time I read in the Spectator that two drunk girls bashed open the head of a old(I think he was homeless) guy with a beer bottle at 10pmish on the 2 Barton Bus for no apparent reason(maybe a comment by him). The Bus driver did nothing until the guy ran out a few stops later.

was Amber Lamps there too?

huzaifa47 says thanks to andrew22 for this post.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 02-16-2010 at 08:51 PM   #21
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:

I can understand a non intervention policy for violence. They dont want their bus drivers getting getting beat up (or worse). But theres no reason that they cant boot off a vomiting drunk person thats literally puking on people.
Old 02-16-2010 at 08:53 PM   #22
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
The HSR actually has really good service compared to what bus companies can provide. The people who complain need to experience some of the worse systems.
Why is it a bad thing to strive to be the best you can be? I've lived in many places, and I have experience many bus system. The HSR has been one of the worst experiences I've ever had. When I lived in Mississauga, it was great. Buses in Montreal are fantastic, Cornwall Ont was even a great bus system, and the city only has a population of 40,000 and a much smaller budget, yet it's one of the best systems in the country.

There is no excuse for the terrible service the HSR provides, and the fact that it isn't the worst doesn't make it okay.
Old 02-16-2010 at 10:16 PM   #23
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
There is no excuse for the terrible service the HSR provides, and the fact that it isn't the worst doesn't make it okay.

Unrelated since we are talking about Canadian bus services but I've taken those Busses not that long ago & they don't even have any semblance of bus schedules so hence you will NEVER find me complaining about HSR!

That being said I haven't had issues with being late for work because of HSR so far :S

Old 02-16-2010 at 10:31 PM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:

Unrelated since we are talking about Canadian bus services but I've taken those Busses not that long ago & they don't even have any semblance of bus schedules so hence you will NEVER find me complaining about HSR!

That being said I haven't had issues with being late for work because of HSR so far :S
Haha, maybe they should take up a similar system It would probably save money, as long as they don't get sued.

Definitely should take up the paint job though, that's wicked colouring
Old 02-16-2010 at 10:41 PM   #25
huzaifa47

Quote:
Haha, maybe they should take up a similar system It would probably save money, as long as they don't get sued.

Definitely should take up the paint job though, that's wicked colouring
The best part it that they kinda stop wherever you want them to You just have to yell at the conductor at the back or bang the side of the bus. You can also stand at any random spot on the side of the road and wave and they will pick you up!

And that paintjob is nothing compared to what they do to trucks

Old 02-16-2010 at 11:14 PM   #26
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Why is it a bad thing to strive to be the best you can be? I've lived in many places, and I have experience many bus system. The HSR has been one of the worst experiences I've ever had. When I lived in Mississauga, it was great. Buses in Montreal are fantastic, Cornwall Ont was even a great bus system, and the city only has a population of 40,000 and a much smaller budget, yet it's one of the best systems in the country.

HSR may not be the best, but it is definitely better than the buses in Toronto(subway and streetcars are pretty good). if you're not taking bus in toronto in either rush hour or downtown, the bus service is complete shit. there is a vague schedule posted at the subway station, but they are usually 15-20 minutes off, and they don't say when different variations(like ##A,B,C) will be at the station. HSR is usually within 5 minutes of when they say the bus will be there, and they have detailed schedules with the expected time at each stop. i don't take it very often, but when i have it has been really good.
Old 02-16-2010 at 11:24 PM   #27
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I'm pretty sure I have the luxury of living in one of the less/non-sketchy high-rise buildings in downtown (175 Hunter Street West, at the corner of Hess), and I'm lucky that I get to drive everywhere I want to go, including campus. The worst I have to deal with is partiers walking around and yelling after a night at Hess Village. I hear it all. The people in my building are generally good and I feel pretty safe there. So, all's not lost in Downtown Hamilton.

But downtown Hammer in general can be a pretty sketchy place... you won't find me strolling there alone at night. And I was born and raised, and still live on the infamous Jane Street corridor in Toronto! My brother and I make 'dirt' jokes about Hamilton all the time. I know, it's bad.

However, I DO like the traffic flow that downtown's one way streets provide. At the same time, these same one-way streets can make navigation a pain.
Old 02-17-2010 at 09:16 AM   #28
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
was Amber Lamps there too?
I KNEW this would show up sooner or later

andrew22 likes this.
Old 02-18-2010 at 10:33 PM   #29
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

If people here get out and see the world, you will see that Hamilton is not sketchy. It is a very safe place. Things can happen anywhere in the world, but in general, Hamilton is safe. Most of the sketchy people look different, but they are really friendly.

Just some questions:

How many times a week do you hear gunshots?

How many locks do you have on your house? Windows? Bars?

Do you always carry around multiple weapons (knives, knuckles, guns)?

How many people here get kidnapped for ransom a day?

Hell the food on campus is probably more dangerous to your health than anything else in Hamilton.

andrew22 likes this.
Old 02-18-2010 at 11:04 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

As a young female, I don't really feel safe in Hamilton and I would never ever ever go outside at night in Hamilton. There are too many instances of girls being followed (on foot or by vehicles) and grabbed or someone tries to pull them into a car. It feels like I read a new story on that kind of thing in The Spec every week.

During the day, though, I think it's fine. If you avoid being in sketchy areas or alone at nighttime, you're probably safe. There are lots of nice, safe places to visit in Hamilton - just make sure you do it at a decent hour or with another person so you're not alone. These are things I would always do in any city, so I'm not sure that Hamilton is any more or less dangerous than other cities.