MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Having to take 1st yr courses in 2nd yr!

Old 07-16-2009 at 10:17 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Not quite.

I'm doing a second degree (I already graduated with a combined honours degree) so the courses you need and the amount of time it takes is very different than a normal Honours degree. I only need 60 credits for a second honours degree and something like 36 units of required courses, (I think closer to 24 though).

Since I had so many electives available, I asked if taking first year courses would compromise my ability to graduate (I was considering adding another degree program since I had so many electives). I was told I could take unlimited first year courses if I wanted. So I'm taking 6 units of first year courses to complete a different degree program so this second degree will also be a combined honours.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 07-16-2009 at 10:23 PM.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:33 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Not quite.

I'm doing a second degree (I already graduated with a combined honours degree) so the courses you need and the amount of time it takes is very different than a normal Honours degree. I only need 60 credits for a second honours degree and something like 36 units of required courses, (I think closer to 24 though).

Since I had so many electives available, I asked if taking first year courses would compromise my ability to graduate (I was considering adding another degree program since I had so many electives). I was told I could take unlimited first year courses if I wanted. So I'm taking 6 units of first year courses to complete a different degree program so this second degree will also be a combined honours.
Ohh I get it . Thanks for the explanation!
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:34 PM   #18
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

I had a mandatory 1st year course in 3rd year. And a second year course in 4th year. Oh Eng Management... what fun
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:30 AM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
I had a mandatory 1st year course in 3rd year. And a second year course in 4th year. Oh Eng Management... what fun
Ooh weird =S, I guess it wouldn't contribute to the 48 units max thing
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:34 AM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Ooh weird =S, I guess it wouldn't contribute to the 48 units max thing
I'm pretty positive that it does, just like how the 30 units you took in first year (or however many units, maybe you were in engineering or decided to take second year courses) count toward the 48 maximum Level I units.
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:48 AM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm pretty positive that it does, just like how the 30 units you took in first year (or however many units, maybe you were in engineering or decided to take second year courses) count toward the 48 maximum Level I units.
Ohh I get it.. I thought it might be different since the units for ENG are pretty different.
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:51 AM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ohh I get it.. I thought it might be different since the units for ENG are pretty different.
Yeah, I can't find any engineering program that has that 48 unit limitation. Although, I can't really find a program with 18 units of electives after first year...
Old 07-17-2009 at 01:04 AM   #23
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

somewhat related... so if you take over 48 units in first year... it gets counted in your GPA but doesn't count as a credit.. as I understand... also if you take 48 units and then you take another first year course that is required after (for example, physics 1b03 is sometimes required for programs but can be done after first year)... you could appeal it and get it counted though.
Old 07-17-2009 at 01:06 AM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, same. I didn't have too much luck with my search earlier as well. But I guess it can be still used as a guideline
Old 07-17-2009 at 06:25 AM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
somewhat related... so if you take over 48 units in first year... it gets counted in your GPA but doesn't count as a credit.. as I understand... also if you take 48 units and then you take another first year course that is required after (for example, physics 1b03 is sometimes required for programs but can be done after first year)... you could appeal it and get it counted though.
First of all, it's impossible to take 48 units in first year unless you take summer school and overload.

Also, if you do take 48 Level I units and then take a required course, my understanding is that the required course would count toward your degree while an elective would be removed.

Also, this all depends on how many electives you have. In first year, you generally have 2 electives (6 units). Then you would have another 18 units of electives (24 units in total). That is a lot of elective units for certain programs.

Edit: Random note: If you are in a 3-year program, you generally have a 42 Level I unit limit instead of 48. But I don't know how many people that applies to.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:55 AM   #26
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
First of all, it's impossible to take 48 units in first year unless you take summer school and overload.

Also, if you do take 48 Level I units and then take a required course, my understanding is that the required course would count toward your degree while an elective would be removed.

Also, this all depends on how many electives you have. In first year, you generally have 2 electives (6 units). Then you would have another 18 units of electives (24 units in total). That is a lot of elective units for certain programs.

Edit: Random note: If you are in a 3-year program, you generally have a 42 Level I unit limit instead of 48. But I don't know how many people that applies to.
well I meant 48 first year units throughout your undergraduate year, my bad. I was curious about the 48 rule and asked the guidance. Hmm I did not know that the required one would be counted and an elective would be removed, good to know.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 02:08 PM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, I think it would be too much to overload & take summer school in first year. The extra 18 units after the required 30, should be spread out throughout the undergraduate degree - all 4 years, and take them as electives.
Old 07-17-2009 at 02:13 PM   #28
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Yeah, I think it would be too much to overload & take summer school in first year.
I did that

Wasn't really worth it, I wound up just graduating with excess units.
Old 07-17-2009 at 02:30 PM   #29
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I did that

Wasn't really worth it, I wound up just graduating with excess units.
=O That's so much :(. I guess it's better than not having enough units to graduate though
Old 07-20-2009 at 01:55 PM   #30
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

In anyone's opinion, is it better/easier to overload during the year or take summer school? Especially for someone who'd rather work during the summer. :]