MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a head start in Tron Boolean Academics 7 06-13-2010 07:24 PM
hamster ball to put my head in snaps General Discussion 6 02-02-2010 06:18 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
interested in applying to med school? Wanna get a head start over other applicants? MSHI General Discussion 0 03-12-2009 02:15 PM

head start program

Old 06-28-2010 at 09:24 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

head start program
I was registering for the HEAD START program for Engineering 1P03 and 1C03. While i was doing so it asks me to choose between the following:

1. Materials Science Engineering
2. Engineering Physics and Energy Technology
3. Mechanical Engineering
4. Chemical and Bioengineering
THIS WAS FOR 1P03

1. Mechatronics and Robotics
2. Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
3. Materials Science Engineering
4. Engineering Physics and Energy Technology ... and this for 1C03

i thought these courses were already planned out like math or physics, and that we didnt have to choose any thing.

I if want to do chemical engineering, do i have to choose "4" for 1P03 and "3" for 1C03?

pls help me! im not too clear on how this works
Old 06-28-2010 at 09:43 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

You're mixing up LEAP streams with the Headstart courses. Let me attempt to clarify:

LEAP is a six-week summer camp. It's aimed at high school students.

Headstart is a program that runs parallel to LEAP. You have to participate in LEAP to take the Headstart courses, which is why you've been asked to choose between different streams. You're not getting any kind of credit for the LEAP streams, but they do prepare you for what each department offers and what to expect from each.

If you have any questions, just post and I'll get back to you, as I'm running the Materials stream of LEAP this summer.

Have fun and I guess I'll see you there. It'll be awesome.

Also, one last thing: if you intend on making one of your stream choices Materials, please choose it for 1C03, as I'd prefer an even number of students per stream.

jon.john23 says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 06-29-2010 at 12:06 AM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

thank u! very much!
thnx a lot! so in order to take part in H.S. i need to be in LEAP.

Does tht mean i have to actually take part in say materials...

so would it be better to stay on campus or commute coz im living in miss.
Old 06-29-2010 at 08:17 AM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
thnx a lot! so in order to take part in H.S. i need to be in LEAP.

Does tht mean i have to actually take part in say materials...

so would it be better to stay on campus or commute coz im living in miss.
Yeah, you have to be in LEAP. It's not that bad, really.

But yeah, you do have to pick one of the streams. I won't be too offended if you don't pick Materials though. =p

We do offer a residency option, but it is kind of expensive. If you can manage the commute, then feel free, but if you find it too much of a pain and would rather stay in residence, then that works too. Just do whatever you think is best.

I think registration is closed at the moment though, so I hope you've filled out all your forms already. If not, then it still may be possible to get in if you can make a case.
Old 06-30-2010 at 10:18 PM   #5
steve30avs

Liked: 0 Times

A couple questions.
Hi! I'm in the headstart program too and I had a couple questions about how it works with the LEAP program. I'm in the material science stream and civil engineering stream. I haven't gotten a schedule for leap or headstart, I was only told to go to a registration table on monday. So will everything I need (schedules, where to go) be at this table?

Also will this LEAP program have tests and exams? Or is that just for the Headstart program?
I guess it's not too much of a worry since i'll find out either way on monday haha.
Old 06-30-2010 at 10:52 PM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30avs View Post
Hi! I'm in the headstart program too and I had a couple questions about how it works with the LEAP program. I'm in the material science stream and civil engineering stream. I haven't gotten a schedule for leap or headstart, I was only told to go to a registration table on monday. So will everything I need (schedules, where to go) be at this table?

Also will this LEAP program have tests and exams? Or is that just for the Headstart program?
I guess it's not too much of a worry since i'll find out either way on monday haha.
Oh, hey. Welcome to MacInsiders and LEAP! I remember your registration; I actually live like three minutes away from you. =\

But yeah, I don't think you'll actually get a schedule. You'll be doing Headstart in the mornings and LEAP activites in the afternoon. You'll be with a group pretty much all the time, so whoever happens to be leading you at the time, be it myself or your Headstart instructor(s), will tell you where to go and lead you there.

LEAP itself won't have tests or exams, but I'm thinking of some way to have the projects be competitive in some way or another. That's probably not what you had in mind though.

Your marks for Headstart will be determined by your assignments and exam. There are no tests to worry about, but I'll let you decide whether that's a good or bad thing.

I'll see you Monday. =p