Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
course textbook recommendation scarletfire Academics 6 06-28-2010 12:15 PM

Headphones Recommendation

Old 02-05-2011 at 05:41 PM   #16
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Get one of those Ipod earphones and attach ear warmer on both sides.

You can hear and also keep your ears warm..that's an investment right there
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:50 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Unfortunately, if you're looking for a set that works on the bus (rules out open headphones) and the gym (rules out big, heavy headphones)...earbuds would probably be your best choice by far
Buds do not stay in my ears. No matter what. Primarily, I want something for the gym since I generally just listen to the music out loud on my phone when I'm walking around and whatnot.

I don't want those earphones that wrap around the ears, lol. If I'm buying headphones, I want ones that go over the ears and are somewhat stylish.

Beats are droolworthy, but no way in hell would I ever pay that much (plus I hear that you don't even get bang for your buck)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 02-05-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:52 PM   #18
Drizzy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

or

Old 02-05-2011 at 05:57 PM   #19
Stock

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post

or

No.

Entropy says thanks to Stock for this post.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 06:39 PM   #20
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Basically, anything you can get at Bestbuy is mediocre at best, with the exception of some random Sennheisers. Check this link out if you want to look at IEMs.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...51-added-02-03
Old 02-05-2011 at 06:59 PM   #21
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I would recommend going to East Hamilton Radio http://www.easthamiltonradio .on.ca/ to test out various headphones before getting them. They carry the awesome audiophile brands that BestBuy never will. Also ditto stay away from Beats and SkullCandy.

I personally use Klipsch S4's and I really don't regret the $80 investment(I bought them from Canada Computers on Dundurn).

I'm also saving up for Grado SR60's or above in that range, tbh I never really liked Seinheisers.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-05-2011 at 07:03 PM   #22
lux

Liked: 318 Times

I personally love my WeSC headphones. The quality is definitely better than skullcandy. Plus they're more stylish and sleek. They have some pretty cool retro looking ones too:

Here are mine (i'm like the only person I've seen so far on campus that have them.

You can get them at HMV they have some pretty expensive versions, but they're totally worth it if you wanna hear some good music.

Bose is good too obvi, if you're into more bass hip hop style of music.
Old 02-05-2011 at 07:05 PM   #23
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I would recommend going to East Hamilton Radio http://www.easthamiltonradio .on.ca/ to test out various headphones before getting them. They carry the awesome audiophile brands that BestBuy never will. Also ditto stay away from Beats and SkullCandy.

I personally use Klipsch S4's and I really don't regret the $80 investment(I bought them from Canada Computers on Dundurn).

I'm also saving up for Grado SR60's or above in that range, tbh I never really liked Seinheisers.
If you're considering Grados, I'd suggest also considering Alessandros:
http://www.alessandro-products.com/m...p?p=headphones

The thing with Grado is that they restrict a lot of their supply to the U.S. - so we end up paying 150-200% of the U.S. price. The Alessandro series one, for example, is just a modified sr60i (I think, they may be sr80s but I'm unsure), and sells for 20$ less than the sr60is do here in Canada. In any case, lots of audiophiles online have been raving about the improvement from the sr60is to the Alessandros, so they're definitely worth a look.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 02-05-2011 at 07:13 PM   #24
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
If you're considering Grados, I'd suggest also considering Alessandros:
http://www.alessandro-products.com/m...p?p=headphones

The thing with Grado is that they restrict a lot of their supply to the U.S. - so we end up paying 150-200% of the U.S. price. The Alessandro series one, for example, is just a modified sr60i (I think, they may be sr80s but I'm unsure), and sells for 20$ less than the sr60is do here in Canada. In any case, lots of audiophiles online have been raving about the improvement from the sr60is to the Alessandros, so they're definitely worth a look.
Thanks! But did you mean the $20 less then SR60's price point on Ebay.com or through some other venue(eg: Are they sold anywhere in Hamilton)?

Because Series one is listed as $99 while an SR60(though they rarely have Canadian Shipping) can be obtained on some occasions for $70-80 with shipping.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-05-2011 at 07:23 PM   #25
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

well, yeah you're probably gonna have alot of people say "dont go for beats" "they're overpriced and shit quality"
but TRUST me.. somewhere inside they all want monster beat headphones LOL and many of my friends have come upto me saying that "they're so not worth it etc etc etc"
OKAY, first things first, they ARE expensive no doubt about that.
but TRUSTT me.. once you listen to your playlist giving those headphones a try you would most likely say "it's SOOOO worth it"

They are that good!
I'm personally a really huge fan of monster products They really do make music sound better.

In the end, it's really ur choice. But I would ask you to still give monster studio or solo.. or any headphones from monster a try then decide

GOODLUCK!
Old 02-05-2011 at 07:31 PM   #26
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Thanks! But did you mean the $20 less then SR60's price point on Ebay.com or through some other venue(eg: Are they sold anywhere in Hamilton)?

Because Series one is listed as $99 while an SR60(though they rarely have Canadian Shipping) can be obtained on some occasions for $70-80 with shipping.
Nah, I meant through a shop in Canada - either Bay-Bloor (Toronto) or East Hamilton (I think they're $130 there)

Old 02-05-2011 at 08:54 PM   #27
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

skullcandy makes great paper weights.

Look into sennheiser headphones. Best ones for sure.
Old 02-05-2011 at 09:04 PM   #28
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

What I bought recently: Beats ($140-200 range)

I bought a pair of Beats recently, was looking for some solid headphones that looked good for video production, listening at work, etc. I was looking for over-the-ear ones I could wear for a long period of time while working without my ears feeling squished or hurting.

The Beats are great. The sound is amazing. Noise canceling so you don't hear people talking around you when you have them on playing music. Those who say they suck clearly haven't tried a pair on. Just look at all the reviews online for them, they are high quality. And it comes with a slick hard shell carry case that's great. The cable is detachable, and it's super thick (4-5x thicker than ipod cable). They also have a button on the left ear that if you press it, it mutes the sound to the headphones so you can hear people if someone's talking to you.

However, if you're looking for under $50, check out:

Sennheiser (top quality sound) http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-... 71964&sr=1-3

If picking between the two Skullcandy's I'd go for your second choice (#2)

Secret is to look for a pair off Kijiji. Don't pay overpriced at BestBuy. I found a guy selling Beats brand new still sealed for way cheaper than BestBuy.

Amaryll says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 02-05-2011 at 09:06 PM   #29
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishk33 View Post
well, yeah you're probably gonna have alot of people say "dont go for beats" "they're overpriced and shit quality"
but TRUST me.. somewhere inside they all want monster beat headphones LOL and many of my friends have come upto me saying that "they're so not worth it etc etc etc"
OKAY, first things first, they ARE expensive no doubt about that.
but TRUSTT me.. once you listen to your playlist giving those headphones a try you would most likely say "it's SOOOO worth it"

They are that good!
I'm personally a really huge fan of monster products They really do make music sound better.

In the end, it's really ur choice. But I would ask you to still give monster studio or solo.. or any headphones from monster a try then decide

GOODLUCK!
Anybody that says beats suck is either being hyperbolic or has no idea what they're talking about. They're solid headphones and are comparable to other headphones that are similarly priced.

The issue a lot of people have with beats is that among $200+ headphones beats usually ranks near the bottom for most genres (it has better performance with hip-hop and a lot of dance music since beats has pretty solid bass performance, but even then there are better choices for those genres than beats). Beats headphones sound great compared to built-in laptop speakers, stock iPod headphones, cheap earbuds, basically anything you can buy at best buy or MacMicro, and skullcandies, but they sound worse than similarly priced AkGs or Sennheisers.

Beats don't suck, but you can get better headphones (considerably better depending on the genre) for the same price or less.

Amaryll, Chad, Desda all say thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 02-05-2011 at 11:11 PM   #30
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

I just picked up a pair of Marshall Minors. The quality is better than anything else in the price range. Very durable (gold-plated plug, cloth cord, good build quality). I'm assuming the majors are just as good, if not better than the minors.

http://www.marshallheadphone s.com/

Last edited by aaront : 02-05-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Amaryll says thanks to aaront for this post.