MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
course textbook recommendation scarletfire Academics 6 06-28-2010 12:15 PM

Headphones Recommendation

Old 02-06-2011 at 01:27 AM   #31
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Have you tried in-ear buds before? They stay in better and really are your best bet if you don't want bulky headphones while at the gym :/

{ don't stop the music }
Old 02-06-2011 at 09:19 AM   #32
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Beats don't suck, but you can get better headphones (considerably better depending on the genre) for the same price or less.
basically, you said "they're better than nothing (laptop speakers) and virtually nothing (iPod earbuds etc.) but are at the bottom of the list when compared to 'phones at a similar price"

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of "suck".

That said, I think they're alright if you're into hip-hop, but there's still better choices in the price range if that's the case. They're completely outclassed for rock, pop, etc. by Senns, AKGs and Grados of similar calibre, and I don't really think there's a point in considering their capability for classical or jazz

Last edited by Mahratta : 02-06-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2011 at 11:03 AM   #33
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I would recommend going to East Hamilton Radio http://www.easthamiltonradio .on.ca/ to test out various headphones before getting them. They carry the awesome audiophile brands that BestBuy never will. Also ditto stay away from Beats and SkullCandy.

I personally use Klipsch S4's and I really don't regret the $80 investment(I bought them from Canada Computers on Dundurn).

I'm also saving up for Grado SR60's or above in that range, tbh I never really liked Seinheisers.

agreed. the Klipsch Image S4 headphones are amazing. The noise isolation is amazing and when i first got them i could hear parts to songs i had no idea existed. Also they have an odd curved tip that doesnt pop out of your ear when working out or running.
-The down side: having near-audiophile headphones (only really surpassed by shure) has made be see the benefit of 320+kbps music files. As such ive had to revamp most of my library

If you want to stay really cheap, stay away from skullcandy...especial ly like the second pair with the "uses AA battery for added base performance". All your gonna end up with is a mushy sound that leaves out significant frequencies. If you want to stay cheap id recommend the sony DJ V300 headphones. I got them about 5 years ago for $30 and still consider them the best sounding headphones for the price range. That said, they are nothing compared to audiophile headphones like Klipsch, Shure, Sennheiser, Bose (to an extent), Grado, etc

try this link:
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-headphones/

Amaryll says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 02-06-2011 at 11:17 AM   #34
camais

Liked: 30 Times

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designe...ck-2-aaa-50577

cheaper alternative?
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:28 PM   #35
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
I'm willing to pay up to $80, but I'd really rather stay under $60. I plan to use it while at home, travelling be vehicle, and walking. Not while running or working out. I listen to mostly classical, swing/jazz, rock, folk metal, and country, but not much techno or rap. I want over-ear because I like the feel of it, and won't need something particularly light.
I can't believe I forgot to reply to this, sorry.

Anyway, even though you're ok with larger headphones It'd probably be best to stay away from full-fledged studio headphones, since you want something to use in public you'll want some thing with a closed design and solid sound isolation, and based on the genres you're listening to performance on the mids/highs should take precedence over performance on lows/bass.

Take a look at the Maxell DHP-II, the dB Logic HP-100, and the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 for something below $60 or the AKG K81DJ, Sennheiser PX200-II, and the Yamaha RH10MS for something closer to the $80 price point. If you were planning on going with skullcandy, you'll be impressed regardless of which headphones you pick but the ones around ~$80 are a bit better (2 of them are entry-level DJ headphones).

Also, the Beyerdynamics that Mahratta recommended would be amazing if you can find them for <$100 (Beyerdynamic's lower-end headphones are also a pretty good choice for what you want).

Amaryll says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 02-06-2011 at 12:35 PM   #36
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
Have you tried in-ear buds before? They stay in better and really are your best bet if you don't want bulky headphones while at the gym :/
In-ear buds are the ones that don't stay in.
And I like bulky headphones, I don't think it would bother me at the gym. Just as long as they're not like 7 pounds, LOL.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-06-2011 at 12:54 PM   #37
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Shure headphones. I have one of their lower end earbuds (or the lowest end lol) and they are great.

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ones/index.htm

For Headphones

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...dels/index.htm

For Earbuds

Amaryll says thanks to KYLB0T for this post.
Old 02-06-2011 at 01:13 PM   #38
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLB0T View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Shure headphones. I have one of their lower end earbuds (or the lowest end lol) and they are great.

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ones/index.htm

For Headphones

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...dels/index.htm

For Earbuds

Shure has been mentioned several times as being on par with sennheiser, klipsch, grado , etc. Id even put them in a class on their own with grado. However, with exception for the Beats ppl, most posters have recommended headphones under $100, something Shure doesnt offer much of. Had the OP said they wanted top of the line headphones im sure Shure would have come up more often.
Old 02-06-2011 at 01:13 PM   #39
Abid.Hasan

Liked: 86 Times

Koss Portapro will be the best bang for your buck. They're ugly but more comfortable than they look. $40-$50.

Sony MDR-V6 and Grado60s both offer great sound for their price. They're both a little uncomfortable on your head after prolonged listening though. Those Alessandros would fall under the same category. $70-$100.

Sennheiser HD280 and Sennheiser HD555 are similar to above in sound quality and price (ignore the suggested retail price, you can find both for under $100).

The Grados and HD555 are open air while the 280 and MRD-V6 are closed, if that affects your decision. The HD555s are the most comfortable pair, but they're also the biggest. The Koss are the smallest pair.

Audio Technia ATH-AD700 is a really good pair for something a little out of your price range. $100-120. The Beyerdynamics someone mentioned are like $300 dollar headphones, you're not gonna find those for cheap easy.

Last edited by Abid.Hasan : 02-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Amaryll says thanks to Abid.Hasan for this post.
Old 02-06-2011 at 01:30 PM   #40
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
In-ear buds are the ones that don't stay in.
And I like bulky headphones, I don't think it would bother me at the gym. Just as long as they're not like 7 pounds, LOL.
Ah okay XD Over-ears also have the bonus of being able to double as earmuffs in winter.

That being said, Sennheisers and Shures will provide the sound you're looking for, as others have mentioned, but they are pricey. I have a pair of Sony MDR-V150 over-ear headphones (~$20 on Sony's site) meant for DJ-ing and they've served me pretty well so far. Also, I've heard good things about the MDR-XD200s ($30) in terms of sound deliverance. They're a bit clunkier but since you don't mind that, shouldn't be much of an issue.

{ don't stop the music }

Amaryll says thanks to Moo!io for this post.
Old 02-06-2011 at 03:08 PM   #41
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Check it: http://eceplayground.com/2010/08/17/...eadset-review/
Old 02-11-2011 at 05:24 AM   #42
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

My price range is: $100-160
I listen to hip hop/pop and rock. I want to hear a lot of bass.
I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser hd 25-1 ii ($155 on ebay).
Any other recommendations?
Old 02-15-2011 at 04:26 AM   #43
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
My price range is: $100-160
I listen to hip hop/pop and rock. I want to hear a lot of bass.
I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser hd 25-1 ii ($155 on ebay).
Any other recommendations?
If you're listening to Hip-Hop/Pop (and certain types of rock) a $150 set of headphones will be overkill. If you plan to actually travel In-Ears like the Fischer Audio Eterna (recently picked up for about $70 and they're amazing) or the Hippo VB will give you great bass response, solid fidelity, and great isolation while being discrete (and costing less than $100). For actual headphones something like the AKG K81DJ will give you more bang for your buck than the HD 25-1 II for the music that you're listening to.