MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
student health insurance claim form question maryam17 Body & Food 1 09-03-2010 09:57 PM
Opt out- Health and Dental ! demelo_b Financial Aid 6 08-18-2010 12:40 PM
MSU Dental and Health Plans Unknown111 Financial Aid 1 07-24-2010 11:59 AM
Question regarding MSU health insurance saeeds5 General Discussion 1 11-11-2009 07:30 PM
Msu Health Insurance Claim Form? rrtt General Discussion 2 05-31-2009 07:52 AM

Health/Dental insurance?

Old 11-05-2009 at 08:28 PM   #1
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Health/Dental insurance?
How does it work?

I know what it covers, but I neeeeeeeeeeed a dentist and don't know what to do... Do I need to fill out a form when I go in, or do I pay, then send a form to the insurance place or what?

If someone could point in the right direction, or tell me, I would really appreciate it because I'm reallllly bad at searching.
Old 11-05-2009 at 08:31 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
How does it work?

I know what it covers, but I neeeeeeeeeeed a dentist and don't know what to do... Do I need to fill out a form when I go in, or do I pay, then send a form to the insurance place or what?

If someone could point in the right direction, or tell me, I would really appreciate it because I'm reallllly bad at searching.
Well, the dentist I go to (Dr. E. Filice, across from the student condo) basically was all set up already. They just asked me if I was a Mac student and if I was going to use the MSU insurance. I said yes, they gave me a form to fill out, and I was all set.

I'm not sure how other dentists in the area are, but if they deal with a lot of Mac students, they're probably used to it.

On that note, I fully recommend Dr. Filice's office. It's extremely well operated and I feel very well taken care of each and every time I go there.
Old 11-05-2009 at 08:44 PM   #3
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
How does it work?

It is very simple. Just go to the dentist of your choice, let them know that you are a Mac student and you have coverage. They will take care of everything. Some dentists will ask you to pay upfront and then you will have to fill out a claim form later on to be reimbursed. Other dentists will ask for the policy information and you will not have to pay upfront. It differs from dentist to dentist.

The policy information and claim forms can be found here: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services/...ceClaims .htm

Hope that helps!
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:34 PM   #4
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I'm with Dr. Lam, who is slightly east of downtown. They just asked me for the policy info/number and took care of the rest =)
Old 11-06-2009 at 11:43 PM   #5
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Or just go to the campus dentist? Why bus so far when there's one right on campus? You just need to go in and make an appointment... Remember to bring your student card since this will indicate whether or not you have the university dental plan or tell them you have another insurance plan. Then pay after everything is done (ex. X-rays).

I've been to the campus dentist for an X-ray and had to pay the fees upfront for the X-ray and a category called "Emergency appointment" or something like that. After like 5 business days, they send you a cheque of the amount that was covered for from the dental insurance plan.
Old 11-07-2009 at 04:09 AM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
Or just go to the campus dentist? Why bus so far when there's one right on campus? You just need to go in and make an appointment... Remember to bring your student card since this will indicate whether or not you have the university dental plan or tell them you have another insurance plan. Then pay after everything is done (ex. X-rays).

I've been to the campus dentist for an X-ray and had to pay the fees upfront for the X-ray and a category called "Emergency appointment" or something like that. After like 5 business days, they send you a cheque of the amount that was covered for from the dental insurance plan.
I've heard they're not that good... just rumours though; can't confirm anything.
Old 11-07-2009 at 07:44 AM   #7
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I have a friend who went to the campus dentist and he told me that it was very good. He was recommending that I go there, but I have my own dentist back home that I've always gone to.

Old 11-07-2009 at 09:11 AM   #8
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I can’t speak for any of the dentists in Hamilton, but if you do not want to visit the campus dentist for some reason, you can always book an appointment with one of the MSU recommended dentists:

Dr. Mark E. Shankman
Dundas Valley Dentistry
4 Ogilvie Street
Dundas, Ontario
905-628-8855

Dr. Ajit Chaudhry & Dr. Amit Chaudhry
Ancaster Dental Arts
99 Fiddlers Green Road
Ancaster, Ontario
905-648-6116

Dr. Elio Filice
1685 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario
905-529-4200
Old 11-07-2009 at 11:36 AM   #9
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
I have a friend who went to the campus dentist and he told me that it was very good. He was recommending that I go there, but I have my own dentist back home that I've always gone to.
I went as well! And it wasn't a bad experience.....