MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome to the Green Life- A Health Event jayparo MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-08-2011 10:13 AM
life/health sciences janom93 Academics 33 12-04-2010 09:50 AM
Life Sci 3A03 Health and Diseases adnaanes Academics 2 06-16-2010 11:42 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM
Help: Taking Music in Health Sci/Life Sci? Stealth Academics 5 03-02-2009 08:07 PM

health sci/life sci/kin

Old 05-05-2011 at 01:53 PM   #1
heewoni

Liked: 0 Times

health sci/life sci/kin
I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've submitted applications to kinesiology, life and health sciences at mac but health sciences is the program I would really like to get into. But b/c of the competitive nature of admittance into the program first year, I'm not banking on getting an acceptance :(.

In any case, I have looked into transferring to health sciences in my second year, but does anyone know between kinesiology and life sciences, which program would be best to take first year to facilitate a smoother transition into health sciences second year?

Your help would be very much appreciated! ^-^
Old 05-05-2011 at 01:55 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by heewoni View Post
I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've submitted applications to kinesiology, life and health sciences at mac but health sciences is the program I would really like to get into. But b/c of the competitive nature of admittance into the program first year, I'm not banking on getting an acceptance :(.

In any case, I have looked into transferring to health sciences in my second year, but does anyone know between kinesiology and life sciences, which program would be best to take first year to facilitate a smoother transition into health sciences second year?

Your help would be very much appreciated! ^-^
LIFE SCIENCE FTW

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

anon491, omgmt like this.
Old 05-05-2011 at 02:00 PM   #3
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

I did my first year in Life Science, and I know next to nothing about Kinesiology. From the amount of people in Life Science who originally wanted to be in Health Science, I'd think that Life Science would be a better transition.

Also, do they offer you admittance into Life Science if you didn't get into Health Science? I know they used to do that years ago when my cousin applied. If so, then it seems like the school also thinks that Life Science and Health Science have more in common than Kinesiology and Life Science.
Old 05-05-2011 at 02:02 PM   #4
heewoni

not too sure about life sciences as an alternate offer because I applied for it after the usual January deadline and got a response less than a week ago
Old 05-05-2011 at 03:42 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Why do you want to get into health science? If it's for the material, then life science would be a good back-up. If it's for the learning style, then kinesiology would probably be better, as it's a smaller program. If it's for the prestige, then...uh...I don't know.

Old 05-05-2011 at 03:55 PM   #6
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

I'm in Life Science right now, it's pretty general, I'm not sure how Health Science compares. Either way in second year you can major in something such as psychology, biology, chemistry...etc with Life science so don't think you'll be stuck with a Life Sciences major if you don't want to.
Old 05-05-2011 at 04:02 PM   #7
omgmt

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason036 View Post
I'm in Life Science right now, it's pretty general, I'm not sure how Health Science compares. Either way in second year you can major in something such as psychology, biology, chemistry...etc with Life science so don't think you'll be stuck with a Life Sciences major if you don't want to.
agreed. Life sci is really general and there are a lot of Life scis that transfer to Health Sci so the transition shouldn't be too tough.
Old 05-05-2011 at 05:26 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Well it really depends on what you want to do in life. What if you couldn't transfer to health sci?

Kin is great in terms of getting experience with the anatomy of the human body - there's very little of that in the life sciences program. There's quite of bit of overlap between the physiology program (biology/life sci) and Kin. Plus, there are a lot of Kin courses that Kin students can take, but Life Sci/Biology kids are apparently too stupid to take. You can also take a lot of the Bio/Life Sci courses as a Kin Major, but not the other way around.

Life Sci has more variety in the types of courses that you can take and a lot of flexibility.

Old 05-05-2011 at 06:33 PM   #9
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Not sure about transitioning within undergrad, but if in the end youre looking at med school any path can take you there as long as you take the right prereqs. Of course im just assuming and I know you said nothing of the sort in your post...
Old 05-05-2011 at 07:21 PM   #10
heewoni

My plans are to go to medical school which is my reason for choosing health sciences
Old 05-05-2011 at 07:26 PM   #11
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
There's quite of bit of overlap between the physiology program (biology/life sci) and Kin. Plus, there are a lot of Kin courses that Kin students can take, but Life Sci/Biology kids are apparently too stupid to take.
Watch your mouth boyeehh ... before I knock your teeth out.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 05-05-2011 at 08:03 PM   #12
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
My plans are to go to medical school which is my reason for choosing health sciences
I wish I had another hand so I could facepalm some more.

Old 05-05-2011 at 08:27 PM   #13
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Watch your mouth boyeehh ... before I knock your teeth out.
I think she meant that administration seems to think this, since they won't allow Life Science students to take the courses.

Old 05-05-2011 at 08:32 PM   #14
heewoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I wish I had another hand so I could facepalm some more.
It's just that I've been told by a number of people that health sciences is a very good program if you want to get into medical school.

Of course, regardless of the program, I am willing to work very hard to get into med school. But the way I see it is, if health sciences holds a more favourable chance of me getting there, it would be in my interest to be in it.

Again, thoughts/opinions from senior students at mac would be a lot of help as opposed to a 'face-palm' :(
Old 05-05-2011 at 08:47 PM   #15
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:

In that case as I said any of those options can get you to med school as long as you have the prerequisites. Many people in Kin are looking to go for med school afterwards. In that case it might just ccme down to your learning style as someone else had mentioned.

arathbon, heewoni like this.