MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Second year Life Sciences- taking only 4 courses second term pink_cupcake Academics 2 07-13-2010 10:48 PM
Life Sci 3A03 Health and Diseases adnaanes Academics 2 06-16-2010 11:42 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM

Help: Taking Music in Health Sci/Life Sci?

Old 03-01-2009 at 02:52 PM   #1
Stealth

Liked: 0 Times

Help: Taking Music in Health Sci/Life Sci?
Hi there,

I am currently a grade 12 high school student who is very interested in joining McMaster next year. However, I have a few concerns regarding programs and taking minors, and I would appreciate anyone who can give some advice as to what I should do.

I applied to Health Sciences and Life Sciences at McMaster, because I am interesting in learning more about sciences in university, but as I realized over the past few months, I do not want to give up music, as it has been in my life for as long as I can remember. I considered going to U of T for music performance, but then I would not be able to study sciences as much as I want to, and also, I love the environment at McMaster much more than that of Toronto.

I have heard from many sources that those who are in the Health Sciences program are offered alot of freedom as to what they would like to take aside form the mandatory courses - in other words, they have alot of elective space. Thus, I have heard of some individuals who were in Health Sciences were able to also take a minor in music performance. However, as with many out there, I'm not sure if I will be accepted into the Health Sciences program or not. I'm also not sure if those in the Life Sciences program are offered enough electives to take music performance as a minor?

My real concern is this:

First off, will I be able to take music performance as a minor if I choose to go into Life Sci, considering the fact that I will not know until May whether or not I can go to Health Sci.

Secondly, if it is possible to take music performance as a minor in either program, do I need to call and arrange for an audition? I realize it may be a bit late now as almost all the deadlines for applying for university programs have past, but I had only just realized that I might have to audition in order to take music performance.

Last thing is..if I can't take music in Life Sci, should I still audition if it's required? Because I won't know until May in terms of Health Sci, would it be useless to audition now, or do I think about auditioning for music only once I've started first year at Mac?

P.S. I'm not interested in any other music course (eg: history, appreciation, etc.) except for music performance, just to be very specific.

And I'm also curious to know, if I come to Mac, will I be allowed to practice in res? Because many people might find the noise level disturbing.

Thanks!

Last edited by Stealth : 03-01-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2009 at 04:42 PM   #2
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Hi there. I'm trying to minor in music too...but most of my courses are music history. From what I know you are able to participate in conert/jazz band, orchestra, or vocal for credit. They are the series of courses that look like: MUSIC _G03 Each course is 3 units and lasts the entire year. You have to successfully audition for them, and I think they occur in the beginning of Sept.

The only problem with the other perfomance courses is that the prereq. is you must be registered in the Music programme. I guess you could try to get permission for them if you really want a minor in music performance. You need at least 24 units, and only a max of 9 units can be from level 1, to get a minor. You should check out the School of the arts website for more info. Good luck!

Last edited by #Eng. : 03-01-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2009 at 05:01 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You can also contact the department of music as well. Ultimately they can give you the most information about what you're asking.

My housemate is in Chem, and is taking one of the band courses for credit, as are a lot of her other Chemistry friends. I assume the number of required classes in her program would be similar to life sci.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-02-2009 at 11:00 AM   #4
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

It sounds to me like you would be interested in our Diploma in Music Performance. This diploma is available to students in any program. You can find details at:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_351.htm

I would also email [email protected] asap to discuss the audition requirements as well as the program option.

If you pursue a "Minor in Music" it does not include Music performance courses with the exception of the ensemble opportunities.

Hope this helps.

Stealth says thanks to pjohnson for this post.
Old 03-02-2009 at 11:02 AM   #5
Stealth

Liked: 0 Times

Will do..
Thanks alot guys!!!
Old 03-02-2009 at 08:07 PM   #6
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnson View Post
It sounds to me like you would be interested in our Diploma in Music Performance.
Wow did not know that existed. Sounds awesome. Wish i was super talented in playing music, too bad i'm not lol.