MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
What courses do I need to get into life sciences? hassan09 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-10-2010 10:45 PM
First year taking 2nd year courses Z3phyr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-05-2010 12:51 PM
Taking first year courses John H General Discussion 13 09-10-2009 09:17 PM
ALL Life Sciences II courses full...? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-30-2009 05:07 AM

Second year Life Sciences- taking only 4 courses second term

Old 07-13-2010 at 08:30 PM   #1
pink_cupcake

Liked: 0 Times

Second year Life Sciences- taking only 4 courses second term
I know that normally students take 5 courses per semester.

I am in Honours Life Science II and I was wondering if it was okay to take only 4 courses in my second term. I have been trying to contact McMaster's Office of Registrar so that I can talk to an academic adviser, but they have never picked up my calls. I leave them messages, but they haven't returned them.

I am planning on going to graduate school when I am done my undergraduate studies so, I was just wondering if I would be penalized for taking only 4 courses in my second year during my second year (instead of the full load of 5 courses). However, I am planning on taking two full summer courses in the summer of 2011.

If anyone has done this before or knows any information, please post!

Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2010 at 09:10 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

It's always best to take a full course load unless you have something like a family emergency or an illness.

It depends on the type of grad school. Masters of Science programs usually don't care. But, for professional schools you may not get a special weighting or your marks for an entire year won't count if the school considers your "two best years".

It's best to take a full-course load unless there are underlying problems

Old 07-13-2010 at 10:48 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you want to talk to an academic advisor, you want to call your faculty department, not the registrar's office.

If you're considering staying extra years (something I think is beneficial), I'd check out this article: http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2010/0...d-your-degree/

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement