MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Second year Life Sciences- taking only 4 courses second term pink_cupcake Academics 2 07-13-2010 10:48 PM
Reinstatement and taking a year off FaisalAbid Academics 2 06-17-2010 04:32 PM
taking first year coerces in second year oHierlihy Academics 11 06-03-2010 10:17 AM
Taking first year courses John H General Discussion 13 09-10-2009 09:17 PM

First year taking 2nd year courses

Old 01-04-2010 at 09:38 PM   #1
Z3phyr

Liked: 0 Times

First year taking 2nd year courses
Does any know if you're allowed to take 2nd year courses if you're in first year?
Old 01-04-2010 at 09:42 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It can be done, depending on what the course is.

It's generally not advisable though (I did it, and kind of regret it) because there is assumed knowledge that you will not have attained in your other courses.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-04-2010 at 09:53 PM   #3
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Yeah, you can. I wanted to take Econ 2G03 (Intermediate Microeconomics I) this term, because I completed all the prerequisites in first term, and I want to do a minor in economics. However, the Degroote academic advisor told me that it wasn't a good idea. So, I guess I'm going do it during the summer or even maybe next year.

Old 01-04-2010 at 09:55 PM   #4
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

yes you can.
econ for example as Jake mentioned is probably one of the only ones though.

as long as you have the prereqs and your program lets you, it should be okay.
Old 01-04-2010 at 09:56 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Yeah, you can. I wanted to take Econ 2G03 (Intermediate Microeconomics I), because I completed all the prerequisites in first term, and I want to do a minor in economics. However, the Degroote academic advisor told me that it wasn't a good idea. So, I guess I'm going do it during the summer or even maybe next year.
Definitely NOT a good idea!

I took 2H03 & 2J03 Econ in my first term at Mac because the socsci office somehow thought my highschool calc+econ was equivalent to first year stuff(little did they know how jokes my highschool teaching was) andd they told me to drop first year stuff and take 2nd year courses.

It was an utter nightmare. 2G03 is one of the harder required 2nd year courses so you are better of waiting till 2nd year and taking it as 2X03(Its the same thing).

On a sidenote its probably just me but I found no huge bump in difficulty between my first year Sociology theory and 2nd year Deviance class for example. There wasn't much there as far as assumed knowledge is concerned. Another friend of mine switched from Lifesci to polisci this year and is taking 1G06 & regular 2nd year Poliscis and not finding it that hard. But both of us love the two subjects we are taking so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a good amount of pre-existing knowledge on the discipline.

But both of the above are Social Science examples, if you want to take a science 2nd year course I would think first year theory would be very rigorous and hence wouldn't recommend skipping it.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-04-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Jake says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 01-05-2010 at 12:17 PM   #6
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Definitely NOT a good idea!

I took 2H03 & 2J03 Econ in my first term at Mac because the socsci office somehow thought my highschool calc+econ was equivalent to first year stuff(little did they know how jokes my highschool teaching was) andd they told me to drop first year stuff and take 2nd year courses.

It was an utter nightmare. 2G03 is one of the harder required 2nd year courses so you are better of waiting till 2nd year and taking it as 2X03(Its the same thing).

On a sidenote its probably just me but I found no huge bump in difficulty between my first year Sociology theory and 2nd year Deviance class for example. There wasn't much there as far as assumed knowledge is concerned. Another friend of mine switched from Lifesci to polisci this year and is taking 1G06 & regular 2nd year Poliscis and not finding it that hard. But both of us love the two subjects we are taking so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a good amount of pre-existing knowledge on the discipline.

But both of the above are Social Science examples, if you want to take a science 2nd year course I would think first year theory would be very rigorous and hence wouldn't recommend skipping it.
Is it okay if we take 1st year courses in our 2nd year?
Or does that look kind of bad , if you know what i mean?
Old 01-05-2010 at 12:51 PM   #7
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyhan View Post
Is it okay if we take 1st year courses in our 2nd year?
Or does that look kind of bad , if you know what i mean?
There's nothing wrong with it. Some programs even require to take first-year courses in second or third year.

It'll only look bad if you're going for a minor, and even then there are restrictions in place so that no more than six units of level I courses can count towards minors.