MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
2nd year ELECTIVES kwyhan Academics 4 06-13-2010 11:34 PM
Do we HAVE to take electives first year? aziz917 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-24-2009 06:00 PM
Recommended Electives for the Bachelor of Health Sciences Program TLulu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-18-2009 11:28 PM
Health Sciences Electives fyhope First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-27-2009 10:28 PM

Health Sci Year 1 Electives

Old 06-21-2010 at 10:52 AM   #16
akstylah

Liked: 1 Time

Im confused what is the difference between the Calc for Science and Calc for Life Science? And do most Health scis take Calc I and Calc 2 in semester one and then two? Or do they spread over year one and year two?
Old 06-21-2010 at 12:14 PM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

The 'party line' is that they're equivalent courses, and only difference is in the applications. Life sci has more biological applications whereas 'science' has more physics/chem applications. However, I definitely found that you cover less material in 1LS3, and found it much easier.

Don't worry about what 'most' health scis do. Many of them don't even take a second calc if it doesn't interest them. If you want to, then go for it! If you want to take them both in one year, then do it! Don't worry about what other people are doing. People in other programs take them both in one year, so it's definitely doable, if that's what you're worried about. If there are other courses you want to take instead of a second math, then you can take the second math another year. It's up to you
Old 06-21-2010 at 12:16 PM   #18
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Most Health Scis take the courses that they're interested in. Math 1A03 is a requirement, I believe, but you do not have to take Math 1AA3 (which is what you mean by Calc "2", I assume), if you don't want to.
Math 1LT3 is considered by some, an "easier" math. There's less theory and it's less intensive than Math 1A03 which is a science calc. From what I can remember, Math 1A03 wasn't as heavily application based, except the exam, but we discussed a lot of the background behind things like limits, derivatives, integrals etc. You could say we spent more time chewing on the concepts in the course

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-21-2010 at 04:26 PM   #19
LivLucy

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks everyone! Iam quite interested in frech 1A06 because of immersion but it is a six unit course only leaving me 3 units. With my last 3 units I kind of want to take physics but would it be a bad decision to not take a math course. Should I take one to keep my options open (and to not lose a year of math)?
Old 06-21-2010 at 04:30 PM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

If you're interested in french, then take that! If you find you really need the second calc course, you can easily take it in another year (or over the summer). Depending which health sci stream you're in, you could end up with a TON of electives in 3rd/4th year. You could also choose to take french in another year, but language courses tend to fill up faster than math courses, at least in my experience.
Old 06-21-2010 at 05:45 PM   #21
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

While the majority of health scis take math, it's not required. Personally I took a 6 unit sociology course and a theatre and film course because that's what interests me, and I know others who also did not go the math and physics route. However if that's what interests you, then go for it
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:02 PM   #22
dilemma15

Liked: 0 Times

Hi I have a question. So we're given 9 units of electives in first and second year, and 18 units in third year. How can you take 3rd year electives (for those 18 units) if you only had 9 units in 1st and 2nd year to get prerequesites?

For example, if I take math and physics for my electives in first and second year, and then in third year, since i have so much more space for electives, I want to take French. That means I have to take first year french in third year?

What electives do people take in third year?

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:10 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

There is no restriction on what kind of electives you take in any of those years. If you want to take French 1A06 for example in third year, you can (as long as you haven't maxed out the number of first year units you can take). I believe you're allowed to take a maximum of 48 units of first year courses towards your degree.

One of my housemates for example is in health sci and going into third year, and one of his 18 units of electives is being used on Math 1A03.

Also, out of those 18 units, at least half I think are expected to be electives related to health sci.