MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Heath and Aging? hello12311 Academics 1 08-30-2012 12:30 PM
Hth Sci 1pa3 Joyceyblank First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 07-01-2011 10:39 AM
For those that took heath sci 3I03 sycoman Academics 12 09-25-2010 11:48 AM

Heath Sci 1PA3

Old 05-05-2014 at 09:08 AM   #1
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

Heath Sci 1PA3
Hi! i was wondering if business 1 students can take Health Sci 1PA3. on this website http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/reg...el-1-students/ it says business 1 students can only take Health Sci 1G03 but not 1PA3 and when i checked the undergrad calender it says 1PA3 is open to students in all faculties... so what's going on? (1G03 requires bio 1A03 which i'm not willing to take). Also i heard Health Sci 1PA3 is on a pass or fail basis so does that mean as long as you try your work and show up to class you pass?

Last edited by sidra_ : 05-05-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2014 at 02:34 PM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

As far as the prerequisites for Health Sci 1PA3 go, anyone in first year can take it. You don't have to be in any particular program.

However, some programs (e.g. engineering) don't let you take just any course for electives, even if they technically meet the prerequisites. Engineers for example have a pre-approved list of electives they are allowed to take. It looks like it's the same for your program. If you want to see if you can get it waived or if they'll make an exception you can contact your academic advisors.

And yes, you're pretty much guaranteed to pass if you show up and do your work. It won't affect your GPA at all and it will be calculated out of 27 units instead of 30 (you still earn 30 units, but those 3 pass/fail units won't have any bearing on your GPA).
Old 05-05-2014 at 03:55 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

That list says it's a list of electives open to first year students, not a list from which you must choose.
Hth sci 1PA3 is fairly new, so they might not have updated the list. You can always email them and ask for clarification.
Old 05-05-2014 at 05:10 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidra_ View Post
I Also i heard Health Sci 1PA3 is on a pass or fail basis so does that mean as long as you try your work and show up to class you pass?
Sort of. You do have to understand the material. Its a a bio-medical science based course and basically consists of a guest lecturer every week coming in and discussing what kind of research they conduct (if it is still as it was two years ago it will be biochemists for the most part). Your task is then to basically deciper what they said and ask scientific questions about what that research means/implies/has use for kind of thing.

If you have some biology background (like grade 12) you should be fine for understanding as long as you are willing to learn about. You will end up learning how to use pubmed which I found quite useful though perhaps that is not as useful for business students.
Old 05-05-2014 at 11:20 PM   #5
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Do you HAVE to be in first-year to take Health Sci 1PA3? Or can you be in second year and have an exception made my the proffessor?
Old 05-06-2014 at 03:38 PM   #6
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Sort of. You do have to understand the material. Its a a bio-medical science based course and basically consists of a guest lecturer every week coming in and discussing what kind of research they conduct (if it is still as it was two years ago it will be biochemists for the most part). Your task is then to basically deciper what they said and ask scientific questions about what that research means/implies/has use for kind of thing.

If you have some biology background (like grade 12) you should be fine for understanding as long as you are willing to learn about. You will end up learning how to use pubmed which I found quite useful though perhaps that is not as useful for business students.
Thanks the class sounds fun and yeah I'm currently taking grade 12 bio

... And I emailed the business academic office and they said I need to send them an email using my Mac email which I don't have yet so what am I supposed to do O.o should I call instead? Or is there anybody else I can email that deals with prospective students and classes? (I emailed the business academic office again telling them I'm a prospective student and that I don't have a Mac email and they haven't replied yet...)
Old 05-15-2014 at 11:58 AM   #7
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

You should be able to activate your mac ID which will give you access to the mac email system:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/macid/