MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Life Science 1 iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 12:22 PM
Life Science II bingbong Academics 30 06-22-2010 09:55 PM
Can i get into life science danishtanwee General Discussion 10 09-03-2009 06:00 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

help in applying to Life Science please

Old 11-29-2010 at 10:17 PM   #16
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
wow, you are totally clueless.
He's right...unless you are planning on grad school or professional school, a B. Sc. gets you basically nowhere. At the most, an entry-level job doing tech work.

Commander says thanks to dhyong for this post.
Old 11-29-2010 at 10:42 PM   #17
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Sorry I hurt your feelings... But Engineering is the only good program at mac to get a real job with just 4 years. Anything else is shit.
Nursing, Med Rad Sci, and Commerce all beg to differ
Old 11-30-2010 at 11:58 AM   #18
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
just w/ a bachelors

med rad sci= a ct scan tech (boring/doesn't pay well)
Commerce= a dead end job at an office that takes years of networking and hardwork to move up if your lucky
Nursing=I haven't met a nurse who wasn't a ***** so it cant be that great can it.
science=least valuable degree of all; they're a dime a dozen, look for low employment as oppurtunities well as horrible pay.

i hate to say it but commander has a point, engineer's do seem to have the most success after 4 years; too bad he's so thick he wont make it past first year
Old 12-01-2010 at 12:12 AM   #19
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Sorry I hurt your feelings... But Engineering is the only good program at mac to get a real job with just 4 years.
You mean 5 years, right? I think the majority of people in Eng take a fifth year

One of the main reasons I switched out of Science was because I didn't like the job prospects. There are good options if you're planning on doing more school, but I just couldn't see myself spending any more than that time in school.

I'd argue that nursing does a better job of meeting that "real job in 4 years" requirement than Eng, but I am a tad biased. It does seem like there's a whole lot more Eng graduates struggling to find a job than Nursing graduates.
Old 12-01-2010 at 09:30 AM   #20
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

But wouldn't the different streams within Science differ to? I feel like Env Sci is somewhat more practical than just a regular Life Sci degree, but that's just me.
Old 12-01-2010 at 09:54 AM   #21
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
just w/ a bachelors

med rad sci= a ct scan tech (boring/doesn't pay well)
Commerce= a dead end job at an office that takes years of networking and hardwork to move up if your lucky
Nursing=I haven't met a nurse who wasn't a ***** so it cant be that great can it.
science=least valuable degree of all; they're a dime a dozen, look for low employment as oppurtunities well as horrible pay.

i hate to say it but commander has a point, engineer's do seem to have the most success after 4 years; too bad he's so thick he wont make it past first year
Its true, a bachelor of science doesn't prepare you for a specific job, but that's not its' intention. A B.Sc provides potential, with basic training that prepares you for a wide variety of graduate programs, which we all know is what you need to get a good job in science. No one here is deluded into thinking a good job comes from just a B. Sc, we know it's just a stepping stone. It doesn't have to do entirely with your degree, it has more to do with what you do with it. Does Engineering provide the best options after undergrad? Maybe, but ten years from now is it still those engineers with the best job prospects? Or is it those with masters and PhDs?
Old 12-01-2010 at 11:14 AM   #22
Nueloas

Liked: 0 Times

thanks all I'm looking to enter med school when i finish Life Science. Hopefully i do get accepted. Long way there still.
Old 12-01-2010 at 02:06 PM   #23
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
People actually take B.Coms seriously? They're dime-a-dozen and, from my experience in those classes, the kids are beyond incompetent. Basic mathematics and the simplest calculus elude them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
You mean 5 years, right? I think the majority of people in Eng take a fifth year

One of the main reasons I switched out of Science was because I didn't like the job prospects. There are good options if you're planning on doing more school, but I just couldn't see myself spending any more than that time in school.

I'd argue that nursing does a better job of meeting that "real job in 4 years" requirement than Eng, but I am a tad biased. It does seem like there's a whole lot more Eng graduates struggling to find a job than Nursing graduates.

5 years if you want to (Eng & Relaxation), or you take one of the three 5-year programs. Or just being too stupid to complete it in 4. Sadly, a lot of people fit the last one. There'd be more in that boat if they didn't cheat their way through.

Old 12-01-2010 at 05:29 PM   #24
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_92 View Post
Its true, a bachelor of science doesn't prepare you for a specific job, but that's not its' intention. A B.Sc provides potential, with basic training that prepares you for a wide variety of graduate programs, which we all know is what you need to get a good job in science. No one here is deluded into thinking a good job comes from just a B. Sc, we know it's just a stepping stone. It doesn't have to do entirely with your degree, it has more to do with what you do with it. Does Engineering provide the best options after undergrad? Maybe, but ten years from now is it still those engineers with the best job prospects? Or is it those with masters and PhDs?
good point about it being a stepping stone, by all means take another ten years for yourself, but some of us(especially the ones w/o rich mommys and daddys) wan't to be "ballin" right now!
Old 12-07-2010 at 12:01 AM   #25
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
good point about it being a stepping stone, by all means take another ten years for yourself, but some of us(especially the ones w/o rich mommys and daddys) wan't to be "ballin" right now!
Then your probably in the wrong program. I don't come from a rich family, thats a pretty rude assumption to make. I don't mean that I'm going to take ten extra years of school. I mean that in ten years science students could very well be making more money then engineers. It just takes us longer to get there. Sorry to disappoint you, but your not going be making 6 figures with a bachelor of science at 21. I'm sorry the system has misled you so badly.
Old 12-07-2010 at 02:02 AM   #26
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_92 View Post
Then your probably in the wrong program. I don't come from a rich family, thats a pretty rude assumption to make. I don't mean that I'm going to take ten extra years of school. I mean that in ten years science students could very well be making more money then engineers. It just takes us longer to get there. Sorry to disappoint you, but your not going be making 6 figures with a bachelor of science at 21. I'm sorry the system has misled you so badly.
-1st didn't say it was you w/ the rich mom and dad stop acting so damn butthurt
-engineer's have one of the highest starting salaries coming out of post secondary education, so for the first five years or so my friend i'd say you would make less, if you managed to remain motivated and get your master's by then and you had already established yourself within the company than maybe you would finally start to make a decent salary, this hasn't stopped the engineer from also moving up in the company so your still losing (in terms of salary) at this point
-you might be misled if you think all the school it takes to be successful in research is equivalent to the pay you finally end up getting, it's not.
-Want to know why hard work to become researcher =/money? A researcher works in a back room far from human interaction, basically they could pay an asian a lot less to do the same damn thing that you worked so hard to become.
-jobs which require you to negotiate and interact with others is considered valuable b/c a certain skill set is required to get the job accomplished.
Old 12-07-2010 at 10:41 AM   #27
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
-1st didn't say it was you w/ the rich mom and dad stop acting so damn butthurt
-engineer's have one of the highest starting salaries coming out of post secondary education, so for the first five years or so my friend i'd say you would make less, if you managed to remain motivated and get your master's by then and you had already established yourself within the company than maybe you would finally start to make a decent salary, this hasn't stopped the engineer from also moving up in the company so your still losing (in terms of salary) at this point
-you might be misled if you think all the school it takes to be successful in research is equivalent to the pay you finally end up getting, it's not.
-Want to know why hard work to become researcher =/money? A researcher works in a back room far from human interaction, basically they could pay an asian a lot less to do the same damn thing that you worked so hard to become.
-jobs which require you to negotiate and interact with others is considered valuable b/c a certain skill set is required to get the job accomplished.
So...why are YOU in science?

Connor_92 likes this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 11:40 AM   #28
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

You're all so cute with your "HURRR IM GONNA BE DER DOCTOR AND MAKE DER MILLIONS DURRRR" and your "NOO UR STUPID UR COMMERCE UR NOT GONNA MAKE DER MONEYYSSSS HURRR".

It's amusing.

Bhaltair likes this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 12:07 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its more like... 'y'all gonna be majorly in debt, have fun working at McD's with your degree'

Commander likes this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 12:38 PM   #30
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

Lol it's so funny how it turned into a battle of faculty here lol
And if you want to get a job right after BSc you could always work hard
And apply for the co-op programs in 3rd year