MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Life Science 1 iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 12:22 PM
Life Science II bingbong Academics 30 06-22-2010 09:55 PM
Can i get into life science danishtanwee General Discussion 10 09-03-2009 06:00 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

help in applying to Life Science please

Old 12-07-2010 at 12:40 PM   #31
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhur7 View Post
Lol it's so funny how it turned into a battle of faculty here lol
And if you want to get a job right after BSc you could always work hard
And apply for the co-op programs in 3rd year
Lol? Since when does working hard help you get a job? The point is a B.Sc is commonplace, and no matter how hard you work there's likely going to be hundreds of people applying for the same jobs, with the same qualifications, and the same experience outside of school.
Old 12-07-2010 at 12:51 PM   #32
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

Agreed but that's with BSc everywhere not just mac so I dont get why we should be telling someone not to come to Mac for BSc when the prospects Of getting a job are same in every unI after finishing their BSc that's all my point was.I guess I should have phrased it better
Old 12-07-2010 at 02:40 PM   #33
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
-1st didn't say it was you w/ the rich mom and dad stop acting so damn butthurt
-engineer's have one of the highest starting salaries coming out of post secondary education, so for the first five years or so my friend i'd say you would make less, if you managed to remain motivated and get your master's by then and you had already established yourself within the company than maybe you would finally start to make a decent salary, this hasn't stopped the engineer from also moving up in the company so your still losing (in terms of salary) at this point
-you might be misled if you think all the school it takes to be successful in research is equivalent to the pay you finally end up getting, it's not.
-Want to know why hard work to become researcher =/money? A researcher works in a back room far from human interaction, basically they could pay an asian a lot less to do the same damn thing that you worked so hard to become.
-jobs which require you to negotiate and interact with others is considered valuable b/c a certain skill set is required to get the job accomplished.
One, I have very little motivation to continue and become a researcher, I know that takes an uncommon brilliance to actually make money at. True engineers have a headstart, but with just an undergrad, in the vast majority of cases there's a ceiling to what they can achieve. Just having an undergrad in engineering doesn't guarantee your going to move up and become head of a company, that is very few cases, and that usually takes more than just said undergrad. You can only go so far before an advanced degree or another specialization is needed.

Two, that comment about paying as asian less is pretty offensive..

Three, jobs with negotiating and interaction? If only there was an undergrad degree that focused on these issues? Oh wait, its a bcom, which isnt as useless as people seem to think.

Look, I'm not deluded into thinking that having a bachelor of science or even a masters degree is a guarantee to a great job, I know it takes a lot more then that. Are there gonna be science majors that have nothing to show for in ten years? Sure. The same can be said for every faculty here, which is why this argument over which faculty is best is ridiculous. It's not so much your degree, but way more the kind of person you are, and what you choose to do with it. In general, ALL undergraduate degrees are a dime a dozen. None of them guarantee any success.

Pay919, Watoko like this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 03:02 PM   #34
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
just w/ a bachelors

med rad sci= a ct scan tech (boring/doesn't pay well)
Commerce= a dead end job at an office that takes years of networking and hardwork to move up if your lucky
Nursing=I haven't met a nurse who wasn't a ***** so it cant be that great can it.
science=least valuable degree of all; they're a dime a dozen, look for low employment as oppurtunities well as horrible pay.

i hate to say it but commander has a point, engineer's do seem to have the most success after 4 years; too bad he's so thick he wont make it past first year
So where the fuk do you get these assumptions?
I don't find a problem with networking, it's good to be social and build ties, rather than to be angry and sit at your computer yelling "OH ENGINEER IS DA BEST".

Unless you've got some evidence, stop pulling shit out of your ass because it only makes you look like a douchebag.
=)

Pay919 likes this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 03:47 PM   #35
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
So where the fuk do you get these assumptions?
I don't find a problem with networking, it's good to be social and build ties, rather than to be angry and sit at your computer yelling "OH ENGINEER IS DA BEST".

Unless you've got some evidence, stop pulling shit out of your ass because it only makes you look like a douchebag.
=)
im not pulling stuff out of my ass, i comment about stuff i know, and i know how the world works. Im sure if a thread about how to make bubble tea popped up you'd have a field day
Old 12-07-2010 at 03:57 PM   #36
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
im not pulling stuff out of my ass, i comment about stuff i know, and i know how the world works. Im sure if a thread about how to make bubble tea popped up you'd have a field day
You are pulling stuff out of your ass, and i comment about stuff i know, and i know how the world works.
And hell yeah, I'd be all over that ****ing bubble tea, it's in my blood.
Old 12-07-2010 at 06:35 PM   #37
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_92 View Post
One, I have very little motivation to continue and become a researcher, I know that takes an uncommon brilliance to actually make money at. True engineers have a headstart, but with just an undergrad, in the vast majority of cases there's a ceiling to what they can achieve. Just having an undergrad in engineering doesn't guarantee your going to move up and become head of a company, that is very few cases, and that usually takes more than just said undergrad. You can only go so far before an advanced degree or another specialization is needed.

Two, that comment about paying as asian less is pretty offensive..

Three, jobs with negotiating and interaction? If only there was an undergrad degree that focused on these issues? Oh wait, its a bcom, which isnt as useless as people seem to think.

Look, I'm not deluded into thinking that having a bachelor of science or even a masters degree is a guarantee to a great job, I know it takes a lot more then that. Are there gonna be science majors that have nothing to show for in ten years? Sure. The same can be said for every faculty here, which is why this argument over which faculty is best is ridiculous. It's not so much your degree, but way more the kind of person you are, and what you choose to do with it. In general, ALL undergraduate degrees are a dime a dozen. None of them guarantee any success.
This guy speaks the truth.
Old 12-07-2010 at 09:24 PM   #38
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Can we just remember that some degrees are classified more as professional degrees? Engineering and nursing as some of those! That's why you can find a job right after you graduate and get payed decently. Others are not... like science!

For me, I finished with a B.Sc... I'm doing my masters right now to become a teacher. Sure beginning teachers don't get paid well, but after a few years of experience it pays quite well So don't give your hopes up!

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 12-07-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2010 at 10:27 PM   #39
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
Can we just remember that some degrees are classified more as professional degrees? Engineering and nursing as some of those! That's why you can find a job right after you graduate and get payed decently. Others are not... like science!

For me, I finished with a B.Sc... I'm doing my masters right now to become a teacher. Sure beginning teachers don't get paid well, but after a few years of experience it pays quite well So don't give your hopes up!
There we go, someone with a few years under his belt who might has been in the work force, not a couple of first years, who are in self denial.
Old 12-07-2010 at 10:42 PM   #40
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
There we go, someone with a few years under his belt who might has been in the work force, not a couple of first years, who are in self denial.
To be fair, with a BSc it really depends on your major. Math (as actuaries) and Chem/ChemBio/BioChem (as Researchers, often with Pharmaceutical companies) majors can find decent/good jobs with a BSc, but the 3 largest Science majors (Bio, Life Sci, and Psychology) almost certainly have to do more to get a job after graduating to find anything decent.
Old 12-08-2010 at 06:33 AM   #41
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
I'm sorry manap3000, care do explain what you mean? Even if I was to do engineering, I wouldn't stop as a bachelors (this is what I've been telling my brother). Everyone these days have some sort of undergraduate degree.

Connor_92 likes this.
Old 12-08-2010 at 11:06 AM   #42
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
Can we just remember that some degrees are classified more as professional degrees? Engineering and nursing as some of those!
I though you understood that simply put, some BACHELOR degrees are better than others, and give you better job oppurtunities with better pay (ALONE) but perhaps i gave you too much credit...

Last edited by manap3000 : 12-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2010 at 11:50 AM   #43
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

well don't you think ur degrees have some sort of merit to them , if I was an employer I'd def hire someone who has a Bsc from mac or and eng degree from mac over like ...laurier
Old 12-08-2010 at 12:22 PM   #44
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
well don't you think ur degrees have some sort of merit to them , if I was an employer I'd def hire someone who has a Bsc from mac or and eng degree from mac over like ...laurier
Leanna would be a sad panda, mister.

Old 12-08-2010 at 12:25 PM   #45
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Leanna would be a sad panda, mister.
she doesnt go there anymore she dropped out of science n switched to soc sci at western