MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selection 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-07-2010 11:55 PM
Course Selection Maximas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-30-2010 07:35 PM
Course Selection siefer1322 Academics 23 05-27-2009 09:18 AM
course selection jordanrogers Academics 2 05-05-2009 01:13 PM
course selection Griff Academics 1 08-02-2007 09:10 PM

Help! (Course Selection for Biospych)

Old 06-13-2010 at 05:47 PM   #1
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

Help! (Course Selection for Biospych)
Hello,

So I'm planning on going into the Honours Biology and Psychology program next year. I have to take Bio 2C03 (Genetics) and another Bio course from Bio 2A03, 2B03, and 2F03. I am torn between the following two courses:

Biology 2B03 - Cell Bio
Biology 2A03 - Animal Physiology

Any advice on which one to take? I am really unsure right now... How do I go about determining which one to take?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010 at 06:03 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
Hello,

So I'm planning on going into the Honours Biology and Psychology program next year. I have to take Bio 2C03 (Genetics) and another Bio course from Bio 2A03, 2B03, and 2F03. I am torn between the following two courses:

Biology 2B03 - Cell Bio

Any advice on which one to take? I am really unsure right now... How do I go about determining which one to take?

Thanks!
If you don't care about interest I would say you have a better chance of doing well in Cell Bio than in Animal Physiology. For me, the grasping of material was about the same in difficulty but the testing in 2A03 was a lot harder.
Old 06-13-2010 at 06:10 PM   #3
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Hello,

Biology 2B03 - Cell Bio

Thanks!
take cell bio! but it can only be done in second semester since one of the times with the first semester cell bio conflicts with one of the psych courses. nice to meet another biopsych person =], hope to see you in most of my classes come September
Old 06-13-2010 at 06:23 PM   #4
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
take cell bio! but it can only be done in second semester since one of the times with the first semester cell bio conflicts with one of the psych courses. nice to meet another biopsych person =], hope to see you in most of my classes come September
Really? Which pysch course? And are you planning on taking cell bio?

Nice to meet you too
Old 06-13-2010 at 06:36 PM   #5
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you don't care about interest I would say you have a better chance of doing well in Cell Bio than in Animal Physiology. For me, the grasping of material was about the same in difficulty but the testing in 2A03 was a lot harder.
Which course did you find more interesting?

Also, is Animal Physiology about human anatomy or does it focus on other animals as well?
Old 06-13-2010 at 06:50 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Which course did you find more interesting?

Also, is Animal Physiology about human anatomy or does it focus on other animals as well?
You should be asking yourself what you would find more interesting.

Cell Bio is mainly cell stuff like the composition as well as some physiological aspects such as transcription, packaging and transportation.

Animal Physiology is only Human Physiology, you mainly deal with the renal system, cardiovascular system and the nervous system.

Note:
Anatomy: The components that make up the body (bones, muscles, tissues, etc...)
Physiology: How the body works.

When learning physiology you learn some anatomy, but only a handful of names. You don't actually learn all the proper names for muscles and bones.
Old 06-13-2010 at 07:00 PM   #7
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You should be asking yourself what you would find more interesting.

Cell Bio is mainly cell stuff like the composition as well as some physiological aspects such as transcription, packaging and transportation.

Animal Physiology is only Human Physiology, you mainly deal with the renal system, cardiovascular system and the nervous system.

Note:
Anatomy: The components that make up the body (bones, muscles, tissues, etc...)
Physiology: How the body works.

When learning physiology you learn some anatomy, but only a handful of names. You don't actually learn all the proper names for muscles and bones.

Well, from your description, Animal Physiology sounds more interesting... I was just curious about which course people generally found more enjoyable in terms of the course material. I am supposing that Cell Bio is a lot like Bio 1A03... ?
Old 06-13-2010 at 07:12 PM   #8
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Look up some 3rd/4th year courses that interest you and find out if they need Bio 2B03 or Bio 2A03. I didn't take Bio 2A03, but I enjoyed Bio 2B03 a lot, much more than Bio 1A03.

Needlenose says thanks to Harlequin for this post.
Old 06-13-2010 at 07:37 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well, from your description, Animal Physiology sounds more interesting... I was just curious about which course people generally found more enjoyable in terms of the course material. I am supposing that Cell Bio is a lot like Bio 1A03... ?
Oh I also forgot to add that for cell bio we had to read and summarize papers and they were about packaging and it's relation to cancer.
Old 06-13-2010 at 08:15 PM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

If Dej is the prof you probably won't have to deal with the summary stuff though, I'm pretty sure that was Igdoura's thing.

You can actually take both if you don't mind not having electives this year. It means you'll get more electives in upper years though, which is always nice. That's what I did when I was in BioPsych.
Old 06-13-2010 at 08:40 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
If Dej is the prof you probably won't have to deal with the summary stuff though, I'm pretty sure that was Igdoura's thing.

You can actually take both if you don't mind not having electives this year. It means you'll get more electives in upper years though, which is always nice. That's what I did when I was in BioPsych.
They also had summaries in first term, the papers contained the same information but I think they only had 3.
Old 06-13-2010 at 08:50 PM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I was in first term, and I'm relatively sure we didn't have those. If we did then they definitely weren't for marks. We had a research paper style assignment, where we were given a type of mutation and then a type of cancer and had to write summaries of what we found, but the information was tested through a paper at the end, not through tests. It was definitely very different from the way my house mate described second term.
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:02 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I was in first term, and I'm relatively sure we didn't have those. If we did then they definitely weren't for marks. We had a research paper style assignment, where we were given a type of mutation and then a type of cancer and had to write summaries of what we found, but the information was tested through a paper at the end, not through tests. It was definitely very different from the way my house mate described second term.
Oh, I knew my housemates were writing summaries, I just didn't know they were that type of summaries. But in the end it seems like the information learnt was pretty much the same, mutations in a certain protein causes cancer.