MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to look for off campus housing? ashlay17 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 11-02-2010 02:31 PM
Off Campus Housing t.dot Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 06-14-2010 07:05 PM
Looking For Summer Housing? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-05-2010 09:26 AM
Off campus housing Richa Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 12-20-2009 03:47 AM

Help! (Housing)

Old 07-29-2009 at 01:48 PM   #1
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Help! (Housing)
So I just started looking for a place to live by Mac only about 2 weeks ago.

I don't want a house with multiple roommates simply because I don't want to get stuck in a party house.

I've been looking for a decent bachelor apartment that would be only me, or somthing shared with only 1 other roommate, so a 2-bdrm apartment. I still havn't found anything. If it's a bachelor I only wanna pay no more than $470ish, and for a room with 1 other roommate, around $400.

I'm getting worried because it's pretty much August, and I still have nowhere to live for September.

Anyone else in the same situation? Any tips? Suggestions?

I'm pretty much out of ideas, except for checking Kijiji, Mac's Housing website, and Craigstlist 3-4 times a day.
Old 07-29-2009 at 01:52 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Check out these sites:

www.gottarent.com
www.viewit.ca

You might find something, but it's hard to find a bachelor under 500 bucks that isn't... crap or super far away from Mac. It's not necessarily a problem if you have a car, but like you said in the other thread, you're thinking of leaving that at home.
Old 07-29-2009 at 01:53 PM   #3
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

On King Street, a little past the Shoppers, above QQs Teashop (I don't know the exact number, but it's hard to miss) there are 2 apartments for rent. I am not sure if these are single or what, but they should fit your needs.

I suggest getting to Hamilton to check them out. There are a LOT of places for rent, and a good number of them aren't on any of the websites; opting to put for rent signs in the window instead.
Old 07-29-2009 at 02:26 PM   #4
nana

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in the same boat. I wanted to get a bach. but the decent ones are pretty much out of my price range or taken. I've resorted to looking at the student houses... Not a fan of some of them since I can be a bit of a neat freak when it comes to kitchens/bathrooms.
Old 07-29-2009 at 02:44 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

There are various forms of student housing, which are in some cases, available year-round so you shouldn't have to worry about it being late in the year.

Try this:

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...entHousing.htm

It costs $495 a month, including heat and hydro, for a single bachelor apartment. The actual apartment is located on Hess and Main...and here is a schematic of each room:

I was considering living here, but I'm trying to split my rent with a roommate who is not a McMaster Student.

Also consider looking into West Village Suites...though it's a fair bit more expensive. The cheapest rooms I believe are $495 including utilities, but this is for a FIVE PERSON suite.
Old 07-29-2009 at 03:56 PM   #6
Greco

I looked into those apartments, run by the city.

My only issue with them is i'd have to buy furniture, which isn't somthing I can't afford, being a student of course. I could bring my bedroom from home, but after looking at the measurments of that apartment, my bedroom set wouldn't fit at all. Even only the bed itself would be a tight squeeze. Not to mention my desk, computer, and TV.
Old 07-29-2009 at 03:57 PM   #7
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

I would advise against getting a bach pad in an apartment because you WILL have to sing a lease of atleast 1 year, and you will likely also need a co-signer. There are also several buildings that will not rent to 1st years. Finding a place to live in Hamilton is actually pretty easy. And if you end up getting a place with 4-5 people that don't know each other, than it won't be a party house. People in these situations often keep to themselves, but trust me, you will get lonely, and it might be nice to have some roomies. It's also advantageous to have roomies if you have to pay utilities (split the bill), and internet of course.

If I were you i would keep looking on the mac off-campus housing website. There are often basement apartments or split houses that have only 2-3 rooms per unit. You can also take a walk around the community because there are always TONNES of 'for rent' signs. And by now the landlords will be desparate so you're bound to get a good deal.

I would also maybe check facebook for sublets, those are always a good deal too
Old 07-29-2009 at 04:28 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

^^What attracted me to the bachelor apartment I posted above, is that they do offer flexible leases...8 months, or even as little as 2 months I believe I could have asked for.

And as for basement apartments, personally, I'd never live in one, or on the 2nd floor of someone's house with a family/landlord living beneath me. There are lots of quote unquote 'horror stories' about privacy issues.

Sure, there are probably nice landlords who won't do anything sketchy, but I'd rather pay the extra one or two hundred each month for the peace of mind and know for sure.

My mother is also a cleaner, so I've heard horror stories about 'furnished apartments.' xD

Maybe that's just ideal for me, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa-88 View Post
I looked into those apartments, run by the city.

My only issue with them is i'd have to buy furniture, which isn't somthing I can't afford, being a student of course. I could bring my bedroom from home, but after looking at the measurments of that apartment, my bedroom set wouldn't fit at all. Even only the bed itself would be a tight squeeze. Not to mention my desk, computer, and TV.
How big is your bed? o_O I thought it had ample space when I was planning out my room, back in the day...

Anyway, this may not be the room for you, but in any case I don't believe that it's too small...and allow me this last attempt to convince you. (:

Here's the plan I made a couple months back when I was considering living there...I forget the specific measurements, but I measured my desk, bed, TV, etc. and tried to draw it to scale at the time, and it turned out like this (see attachment). But I recommend you re-measure your furniture, because 3.66m by 3.67m seems like quite a large amount of space for your various furniture.

Sure, it's not the roomiest of all places, but it is intended as a bachelor apartment...you're not supposed to have a couch or big fancy dinner table for guests, since you'll be living alone. (And if you do want such furniture, then naturally, you do need a bigger place, for more than one person...which comes complete with its own additional problems).

Colour code:

Grey (on balcony) - Barbecue
Dark blue - Bed
Light blue - Coffee Table
Green - Recliner
Purple - TV (shelf) + TV
Red - L-shaped desk
Yellow - NOT a carpet...(even though it kinda looks like one in the pic) I need adequate space for my daily workout, or to practice breakdancing (potentially with a few friends), so what I planned to do was leave the hardwood flooring intact, and move my recliner/coffee table on occasion.

The only complaint I had was that my bed is right next to the window...so the sun may potentially shine right on my face in the morning. But if that did turn out to be the case, I'd have to draw some curtains or something.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I neglected to mention, that the empty space in the top left corner of the plan is supposed to represent boxes full of textbooks / laundry baskets full of clothes. lol...wouldn't be a single guy living in a bachelor apartment without the clutter :p

I hadn't quite decided on a dresser / drawers to store my clothes, and/or a bookshelf, but that's the area they'd go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floorplan.jpg (13.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-29-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2009 at 06:36 PM   #9
twitterbird

Liked: 1 Time

try looking on kijiji.ca
Old 07-29-2009 at 06:57 PM   #10
Greco

LOL! I appreciate your attempt to convince me! Nice layout you have there.

How much did the place end up costing you all together? Rent plus internet/cable, and whatever other utilities?
Old 07-29-2009 at 11:59 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

I didn't actually move in there...I mentioned above that I decided to group with a friend to split the utility/rent costs a bit.

But I was estimating, depending on how much time you want to spend at home, anywhere from 500 a month (the bare minimum, if you don't mind giving up Television and doing your studying at the library, haha) to 550 if you get a cable/internet bundle. Rogers perhaps? Mountain Cablevision's great, but I don't know if it services that area.

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-30-2009 at 12:01 AM.