MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
professor weiz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-05-2010 06:48 PM
Professor Yamaguchi? lizziemcg Academics 13 08-16-2010 11:45 AM
Professor responsibilities? NFlash Academics 5 04-07-2010 09:25 AM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
what do you want to ask your professor ? joset2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-31-2008 08:27 PM

HELP: Need to email professor

Old 10-22-2009 at 04:29 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

HELP: Need to email professor
I'm a former McMaster student, and I no longer have my McMaster email account. I'm trying to email one of my former professors, but I suspect that they block non-McMaster emails, because I haven't been getting a response.

Is there any way around this dilemma? Email is my preferred method of communication for this matter.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009 at 04:34 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I'm a former McMaster student, and I no longer have my McMaster email account. I'm trying to email one of my former professors, but I suspect that they block non-McMaster emails, because I haven't been getting a response.

Is there any way around this dilemma? Email is my preferred method of communication for this matter.

Thanks.
They don't block them as far as I know but many Professors delete e-mails from non-McMaster e-mail accounts b/c the new e-mail policy for current students is that you MUST contact a Professor via your McMaster e-mail account.

I'm not entirely sure how you'd be able to stop a Professor from deleting your messages. Maybe you could try finding a personal or business e-mail address they use or call McMaster and find out if they can put you in contact with this Professor.
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:21 PM   #3
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Weird. From what I know, when we leave Mac, our macid is ours forever; we'll still have the email address, but it won't actually hold anything - it'll just forward everything to whatever account you tell it to.

Makes sense that you would be able to send stuff from the account too. Try calling UTS and ask them for advice?

Allan says thanks to tungo89 for this post.
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:23 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You could also look for the professor on the McMaster website to find his/her extension number and call them.
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:24 PM   #5
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I believe we have our mac emails for 5 years after we leave. It could be less because I don't remember where I read that. But, what you can do is just call UTS as was mentioned to ask them to reactivate it. If they cannot, perhaps ask a friend to send it for you? Then, in the email, ask them to send all further correspondence to your regular email.
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:26 PM   #6
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

http://www.mcmaster.ca/ua/alumni/faq.htm

Turns out they DO expire (ie you can't access your inbox) but if you look at the bottom of that page there is a forwaring email service from the alumni service.
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:37 PM   #7
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

When I have wanted to contact former professors at my old alma mater , I just called the faculty office about how to best get in touch with them . In that way, I was even able to get in touch with a favourite who had since retired.

Allan says thanks to daisy for this post.
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:43 PM   #8
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
I believe we have our mac emails for 5 years after we leave. It could be less because I don't remember where I read that. But, what you can do is just call UTS as was mentioned to ask them to reactivate it. If they cannot, perhaps ask a friend to send it for you? Then, in the email, ask them to send all further correspondence to your regular email.
When my boyfriend graduated they closed his account within 6 months, I believe

He was pretty mad, I mean if they want money from him, that's one of the best ways to contact him, right?
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:45 PM   #9
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
When my boyfriend graduated they closed his account within 6 months, I believe

He was pretty mad, I mean if they want money from him, that's one of the best ways to contact him, right?
They will hunt him down until they find him, no matter how many times he moves, and they will call him forever, asking for money (as an alumni). Ask me how I know.
Old 10-22-2009 at 05:45 PM   #10
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
No, cause it's easier to guilt someone into donating over the phone. :p

rrtt likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 07:41 PM   #11
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Thanks guys.

I'll contact UTS and/or the Faculty. Hopefully the can provide me with a solution, without actually calling my professor.

Although, they'll probably try and get me to purchase a Mac Alumni email account (big ripoff).

Last edited by Allan : 10-22-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2009 at 08:55 PM   #12
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
without actually calling my professor.
What a dreadful thought!