MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic probation? ss1995 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 12-27-2013 12:37 PM
OSAP probation SarahLee Academics 5 04-13-2013 11:10 AM
Probation jntyrhds Academics 4 12-31-2011 05:59 PM

Help - Probation

Old 05-10-2016 at 06:01 PM   #1
sam06

Liked: 0 Times

Help - Probation
Hi,
Im a level 3 nursing student, I have already been placed in academic probation after my first year and was able to overcome that. But recently due to some personal issues I did poorly on one of my classes for nursing. According to the regulations of McMaster, my CA has to be over 5 to continue in the program, which I believe it still is but my GPA for this term is not above 5 so I do not know if that is taken into account. I was wondering if they only look at CA and allow students to repeat a course if failed, at least that was what the program manager stated. If anyone has more insight and would so gladly like to share it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Cheers.

Ps. If someone could kindly differentiate the difference of CA and GPA that would be great! Thank you.
Old 05-11-2016 at 03:59 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

I think CA means Cumulative Average, as in your total average that includes all the terms you did in the university. Whereas GPA is just your average mark and depends on the context, so your term GPA, total GPA, whatever... So if your CA is above 5, you should be fine.

Chad, MacAir like this.
Old 05-16-2016 at 08:59 PM   #3
MacAir

Liked: 0 Times

Hey, i am in the same boat as well. I am in materials eng. and i got reinstated last year as well for my second year. I also failed one of my courses this term. but my CA is 5.2, which is higher than the required 4.0 for continuing at my faculty. So the point is that you should be fine and mcmaster has something called the m-opportunity where people can repeat courses that they failed in the next term.
Old 05-19-2016 at 07:29 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Welcome to MacInsiders!