MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstatement or probation Qtips Academics 8 07-13-2010 11:24 PM
With regards to Reinstatement and Probation Mr. Pink Academics 33 06-01-2010 11:22 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM

Probation

Old 12-31-2011 at 03:47 PM   #1
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

Probation
Hey guys,
Does anyone know what happens if your CGPA goes below a 4.0 in Engineering?
Do you get kicked out of the program without any warning or do you get some sort of probationary term to boost your GPA first?
I have really screwed up this semester and im getting really concerned about this.

Thanks guys and have a happy new year
Old 12-31-2011 at 04:46 PM   #2
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

If by the end of this year you end up with an average below a 4 and above 3.5, you can choose to continue a year as an irregular student under the umbrella of the ENG faculty where you must bring your semester-averages up.

It is generally recommended that you simply reinstate if you fall between 3.5 and 4.

If you have questions regarding reinstatement I am more than happy to help you as I have personally dealt with it

jntyrhds says thanks to ZSimon for this post.
Old 12-31-2011 at 05:37 PM   #3
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

Awesome, i have a feeling i'll need your help real soon.
What's an "irregular student" status? Is it similar to a special student status where you're restricted to being a part-timer?
Old 12-31-2011 at 05:58 PM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntyrhds View Post
Awesome, i have a feeling i'll need your help real soon.
What's an "irregular student" status? Is it similar to a special student status where you're restricted to being a part-timer?
No its not like that. You may not take any courses which fall under the Engineering calendar, but you may repeat ones given permission etc.. You take general courses and courses open to all students to improve your grades for the next review session.

I don't recommend you do this as it is more stressful. The general recommendation is to reinstate and repeat those courses in which you've had a final grade below 4.0

There are particular cases in which you will be better off being an irregular student, but you should discuss this with your academic adviser.

As another note I should point out that one thing to take away from it is that: accidents happen and we all pay for our mistakes in one way or another.. Try not to let it get to you and go into the coming semester with an outlook not too heavily influenced by the pressure of grades, but one influenced by the drive to do well and learn.

If at the end of the next semester, for one reason or another you do end up with a 3.5-4.0; unless your adviser recommends the irregular path, reinstate.

You sound like you are aware of your performance and want to better it. This is the best thing to realize and a huge leg-up for writing a reinstatement letter.

But don't think about that, just take the coming semester with a new perspective and kick ass.

jim1, Marooner like this.
Old 12-31-2011 at 05:59 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

As Simon mentioned, if your average is below a 4.0 by the end of the year, you have the option of being an irregular student. When you are an irregular student you are still under the eng umbrella, basically you have to take courses/electives from any department and you have to get at least a 9. You can take anything you want, as long as you know can get a high gpa in it.

You still have term 2 to boost your gpa, don’t panic too much or you will screw up term 2 :/

Work hard in term 2…try to see what caused you to not do good in term 1, and work on fixing it.

When you are an irregular student you can take any course(s), except for the eng courses, like you can’t redo math 1zb3, but you can take a comp sci course (I am just giving you an example here).

Marooner, ZSimon like this.