MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic probation: So confused what to do next! Sami Academics 2 07-20-2013 03:09 PM
HELP! Received Academic Probation! hellomac Academics 12 06-11-2011 02:20 AM
Academic Probation and academics phoenx2 Academics 12 12-22-2010 11:53 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM

Academic probation?

Old 12-27-2013 at 09:12 AM   #1
ss1995

Liked: 0 Times

Academic probation?
I'm in first year life sciences and while I didn't fail any courses, I don't think I'm going to have the greatest average. Do they assign "academic probation" from the first semester, or do they wait until the entire year has passed?

If I do better next semester, will I be able to leave academic probation and choose a second year program if I get accepted?

Also what average is needed not to be put on probation? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2013 at 10:56 AM   #2
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Best thing to do is to drop by the associate deans office for science at BSB and talk to an academic counsellor.
Old 12-27-2013 at 11:18 AM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I'm pretty sure they wait until the end of the year to determine if you get accepted to the program you want or not. I'm not sure what average is needed for second year life science but if you end up doing better in second semester, you will have a chance. As the above poster said, talk to your academic advisor about this. They will help you a lot.
Old 12-27-2013 at 12:37 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Your marks are not reviewed until you have completed at least 18 units, and they're not reviewed mid-session (so even if you overloaded this term, it's the middle of the session so they wouldn't review it). So, you can't be put on probation in December.

I think the cutoff average for probation is 4 or something, but it's in the course calendar if you want to double check (which you probably should). I'm also not sure if it's SA or CA that is 4, although if you're in first year it doesn't really matter because they're the same thing.