MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic Probation and academics phoenx2 Academics 12 12-22-2010 11:53 PM
With regards to Reinstatement and Probation Mr. Pink Academics 33 06-01-2010 11:22 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM
Academic Probation for OSAP ali999 General Discussion 1 08-10-2009 10:49 AM

HELP! Received Academic Probation!

Old 05-20-2011 at 07:12 PM   #1
hellomac

Liked: 0 Times

HELP! Received Academic Probation!
Hello, I'm in social science and finished first year.
I didn't do so well and therefore received an academic probation letter today.
It said on the letter that I can apply as a part-time student.
What does that exactly mean?
My main question is: Am I being kicked out of McMaster for the year? Or can I still take some courses?
I'm planning to go to school and speak with an academic counselor on Tuesday but I am just really worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2011 at 07:26 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

When they said you can apply as a part-time student they mean you can still come to McMaster but not take a full course load. If you take a lower course load, you would have to do less work and possibly and hopefully get better marks. All the best. :]

Old 05-20-2011 at 07:36 PM   #3
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomac View Post
Hello, I'm in social science and finished first year.
I didn't do so well and therefore received an academic probation letter today.
It said on the letter that I can apply as a part-time student.
What does that exactly mean?
My main question is: Am I being kicked out of McMaster for the year? Or can I still take some courses?
I'm planning to go to school and speak with an academic counselor on Tuesday but I am just really worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Jenny,

I'm sorry you had a difficult time this year, but keep your head up. Academic probation isn't at all uncommon, especially after first year when a lot of people have been struggling with the adjustment to university.

Academic probation means that your cumulative average is between 3.0 and 3.5 on the McMaster grading scale. You won't be able to register in a second-year program, and will be considered a Social Science I student next year (in most cases - check with the advisor on Tuesday to be sure). Additionally, you won't be able to transfer to most other universities, because you aren't in good academic standing.

You can only be on academic probation once in your undergraduate years. If it happens at the end of next year, you'll be unable to continue at the university and will have to apply for reinstatement.

Did your letter say you can register as a part-time student, or you have to? The main difference between part-time studies and full-time studies is that full-time students register in 24 or more units, whereas part-time students register is 21 or less. It's very common for people who have other commitments (athletics, jobs, etc.) or who find a full course load to be overwhelming.

I know you're probably not thrilled about it, but it's not the end of the world. Again, it happens to many people. Academic probation is essentially a warning to let you know that your grades need to improve - but you're not being kicked out, so you have time to bounce back from it.

I hope that helped clear things up, and good luck next year!

Old 05-30-2011 at 07:46 AM   #4
hellomac

Liked: 0 Times

******UPDATE********* ***

I checked my grade reports and my avg. is 2.8 and it says that I cannot continue at the university....
Am I being kicked out????
Someone please, help me.
Old 05-30-2011 at 08:03 AM   #5
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:

I checked my grade reports and my avg. is 2.8 and it says that I cannot continue at the university....
Someone please, help me.

Check with your academic advisor but a 2.8 usually means suspension at least...but talk to the AA and they'll be better equipped to help you with this.
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:16 PM   #6
luna

Liked: 10 Times

I also got academic probation. I didn't recieve a letter but on grade report it said that I may continue on academic probation. Also, it says that I'm elegible for BSc Science for sep 2011 - apr 2012.

Does this mean I am still in mac as a full-time student? and why didn't I get a letter.
Also, I'm upgrading some courses during summer (which I failed during term) so will be new CA for these courses be counted toward by overall CA for 1st year. Thus, I can potentially get out of academic probation and onto good academic standing before sep 2011. Is this possible?????

I will be talking to an academic advisor but i wanna know to ease my nerves so plz let me know asap!!!!!!

thanks
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:19 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:

Someone please, help me.
Hmm, technically yes because you need a 3.0 to stay in McMaster. BUT, people have gotten reinstated into programs with as low as 2.1, so just try
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:31 PM   #8
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
When they said you can apply as a part-time student they mean you can still come to McMaster but not take a full course load. If you take a lower course load, you would have to do less work and possibly and hopefully get better marks. All the best. :]
I love how a prospective student is giving a tip.

Old 05-31-2011 at 10:43 PM   #9
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I love how a prospective student is giving a tip.
Very true aha
Old 06-01-2011 at 12:43 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I also got academic probation. I didn't recieve a letter but on grade report it said that I may continue on academic probation. Also, it says that I'm elegible for BSc Science for sep 2011 - apr 2012.

Does this mean I am still in mac as a full-time student? and why didn't I get a letter.
Also, I'm upgrading some courses during summer (which I failed during term) so will be new CA for these courses be counted toward by overall CA for 1st year. Thus, I can potentially get out of academic probation and onto good academic standing before sep 2011. Is this possible?????

I will be talking to an academic advisor but i wanna know to ease my nerves so plz let me know asap!!!!!!

thanks
Don't think that's possible. It's true that academic review occurs in May and August, but only if you've taken 18 credits since your last academic review. Unless you are taking 6 courses in summer (which would require an overload permission), you wouldn't be able to get out of academic probation.

Also, officially there is no such thing as a "yearly" CA. CAs is your average of all courses taken and SA is your average for a session (either Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer).
Old 06-10-2011 at 07:32 PM   #11
luna

Liked: 10 Times

for someone on academic probation in faculty of science, can they only chose to switch into a science program or can you choose courses to meet the requirements for another program in another faculty.
for example, i am on academic probation in faculty of science but I was thinking of taking 1st year english pre-requesits to switch into english in third year (so that means going to faculty of humanities). Is this possible? has anyone done this before??
thank you
Old 06-10-2011 at 09:32 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
for someone on academic probation in faculty of science, can they only chose to switch into a science program or can you choose courses to meet the requirements for another program in another faculty.
for example, i am on academic probation in faculty of science but I was thinking of taking 1st year english pre-requesits to switch into english in third year (so that means going to faculty of humanities). Is this possible? has anyone done this before??
thank you
I don't really think anyone can answer your question thoroughly so I suggest going to/contacting an academic advisor in the Associate Dean's office for Science as well as Humanities to double check how to go about switching. I would imagine it's a little complicated, but definitely not impossible. I know a friend who switched into English from Science after first year, so it's definitely possible, although she wasn't on academic probation. But anyway, definitely contact someone asap so that you can get your timetable set for next year in time.
Old 06-11-2011 at 02:20 AM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Consider college.

L'Étoile, shes-a-diva* like this.