MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reinstatement or probation Qtips Academics 8 07-13-2010 11:24 PM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM
Academic Probation for OSAP ali999 General Discussion 1 08-10-2009 10:49 AM
Academics and Extracurricular Activities VoyozooT General Discussion 16 08-04-2009 09:58 PM

Academic Probation and academics

Old 12-19-2010 at 12:16 AM   #1
phoenx2

Liked: 0 Times

Academic Probation and academics
Hey guys, so i have a question. Can you be placed on academic probation after 1st year 1st semester if you fail a course and your gpa is below 3? i partied a little too hard this semester and I've already started pulling it together but it might be a little too late for thiis semester. Can I be kicked out of mac after this semester as well? Im so scared. and also do they sent your grades home ?
Old 12-19-2010 at 12:21 AM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i think its only if your full yr gpa is below 3 (someone may correct me if im wrong)...
and no grades arent sent home... you check your results online
Old 12-19-2010 at 12:37 AM   #3
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenx2 View Post
Hey guys, so i have a question. Can you be placed on academic probation after 1st year 1st semester if you fail a course and your gpa is below 3? i partied a little too hard this semester and I've already started pulling it together but it might be a little too late for thiis semester. Can I be kicked out of mac after this semester as well? Im so scared. and also do they sent your grades home ?
Heh, afraid your parents are going to find out they paid you thousands to party?

Is this what you're looking for?
Old 12-19-2010 at 12:45 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

"All students must maintain a Cumulative Average (CA) of at least 3.5 at each review to continue at the University. Under certain circumstances, as described below, students may be allowed to continue on academic probation for one reviewing period with a CA of 3.0 to 3.4. If your CA is less than 3.0, you may not continue at the University."

But this is only calculated at the end of Term 2, so if you work harder next term and limit partying to maybe 1 day every week or 2 weeks? You can pull your GPA up and continue at Mac. Keep in mind the requirements to get into level II programs are something different
Old 12-19-2010 at 05:26 AM   #5
phoenx2

Liked: 0 Times

but will i be place under academic probation after this first semester? and what exactly does academic probation entail ie. is there a reduced course load etc. also do they send a letter home if you are placed under academic probation
Old 12-19-2010 at 05:50 AM   #6
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
but will i be place under academic probation after this first semester? and what exactly does academic probation entail ie. is there a reduced course load etc. also do they send a letter home if you are placed under academic probation
well CA does mean "end of year average" but at least you recognized right now that your average might not be high enough..at least try to make sure u pass as much as possible this term..and definitely study harder for term2..start from "day 1" to pull that average up

Old 12-19-2010 at 09:44 AM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
They don't send a letter home, because unlike high school it's your academic career is you own responsibility, not your parents. So it's your call to tell them how you're doing, whenever I get anything C+ or lower, I just smile and say I got a B-.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 12-19-2010 at 01:29 PM   #8
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
what program are you in ?
Old 12-19-2010 at 02:28 PM   #9
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Nope, no one sends letters home. It's your education, not your parents'.

If your cumulative average at the end of the year is BELOW a 3, you are kicked out and have to wait one full year to apply again if that's what you want.

If it is a 3.1 - 3.4, you're placed on academic probatation for one reviewing period (i.e. one term) and have to get your average up in order to continue at the university. It's basically like a warning; They send you a letter at the end of the term if your average is in area and they tell you to step it up or you're out. Note that you can only be on academic probation ONCE during your university career, so try to try kick ass on your finals.

If your average is a 3.5+, you are in decent academic standing and don't have to worry about getting kicked out, at least for now.

Keep in mind, though, that most programs require a cumulative average of 6, so work hard next term.

Old 12-19-2010 at 03:11 PM   #10
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ya wut program r u in exactly
Old 12-22-2010 at 11:44 PM   #11
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

im confused ...
on the mac website it says .... "students on academic probation with a ca from 3.0-3.4 will be allowed to remain at the university for one review period" and then in the glossary it defines a revewing period by "the time it takes between two revies for a student. reviews will take place in may and august, provided the student has attempted 18 units of work" does that mean grades aren't reviewd until april? cuz thhen that means its just for two terms not for one :S
Old 12-22-2010 at 11:49 PM   #12
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Thats kinda unfair since some programs are much harder than others.
Old 12-22-2010 at 11:53 PM   #13
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

oh gawd im so dumb .. for real
"All students must maintain a Cumulative Average (CA) of at least 3.5 at each review to continue at the University. Under certain circumstances, as described below, students may be allowed to continue on academic probation for one reviewing period with a CA of 3.0 to 3.4. If your CA is less than 3.0, you may not continue at the University."

so if you're put on academic probation ... you have one review aka one semester to get your grade above a 3.5

just keep your head up and you'll make it!