MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Startup Weekend Hamilton is coming! April 25-27 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-22-2014 11:02 PM
Startup Opportunity jvand08 Volunteering Opportunities 4 01-20-2014 11:15 AM
Last Chance for Startup Weekend tickets! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-25-2013 08:36 PM
Startup Weekend Hamilton is coming up! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-21-2013 10:47 AM
Cursor Frozen At Startup? Desda Computers & Tech 4 09-05-2010 11:56 PM

Help for a Startup

Old 10-19-2014 at 06:35 PM   #1
Xbrzz

Liked: 0 Times

Help for a Startup
Hey Guys,

I am looking for a talented programmer/web developer to help me out with a start up a friend and I are working on. I have a non-technical background, so we are looking for someone to complement us on that side of things.

Please provide me with some links to the work you have done. I am looking for a really talented individual that would have some time to work on a side project.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to find such individual, that would be greatly appreciated also. (ie. any programming clubs, coding events or hackathons etc.)

Thanks,

Ari
Old 10-19-2014 at 07:13 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Look up McMaster Engineering Society's page, they should list a whole bunch of events. Also OscarPlus has special tab for Engineering events.

Xbrzz says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 10-20-2014 at 04:14 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

But frankly, I'd just look in another university. Some software related forums maybe, like StackExchange.
Old 10-20-2014 at 04:27 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

You have to be careful with choosing the correct person at Mac. The software department purposely doesn't do much in the way of enterprise level architecture or code. Probably why Mac software is on of the lowest rated software programs in North America. Make sure to find someone who has been on an internship or has significant hobby experience.

I agree with the above to look at clubs like HackItMac where people with a stronger passion will be camping out.

If you message me some of your details (like a basic idea without getting too detailed) I can put you in a good direction and give you questions and answers to interview prospective ppl. I dont have the time to do anything myself but should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 10-21-2014 at 12:31 AM   #5
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

First question that comes to minds is, what value proposition does this person get for being such an integral part of the start up?
Old 10-22-2014 at 12:41 PM   #6
afireinside

Liked: 3 Times

No offense, but this sounds like you want some poor sap programmer to put in a bunch of sweat equity on a "brilliant idea" that will most likely go nowhere.