MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Telus Service Charbs Computers & Tech 34 10-03-2010 10:48 PM
Service Learning Cassanova Volunteering Opportunities 5 02-26-2010 11:44 AM
Bikes for Commuters. goodnews.inc General Discussion 2 07-08-2009 10:39 PM
frosh for commuters jindal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-22-2008 11:31 PM
Social situation for commuters?? mazza General Discussion 7 08-11-2008 11:44 PM

Hey Commuters - Go Service Changes

Old 08-28-2010 at 09:28 PM   #1
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Hey Commuters - Go Service Changes
I wanted to post about this in case people haven't checked out the GO Transit schedules for the new school year yet.

If you're used to taking the 47A or 47B express bus trips to Bramalea Go and Square One it seems they have now discontinued these trips except for Fridays, or Thursdays before a Friday holiday.

Now the only option is to take the longer and more crowded 47 route.

This is a huge decrease in service and I don't forsee this being very convenient for students who commute to and from McMaster.

If you are used to taking the express routes you know the trips were often full at peak times, and on top of that the 47 is also often full at peak times. How are all these students supposed to get home with such a huge reduction in service from GO?

I can understand cutting out some of the express trips like the early afternoon trips (ie the 1:40) since these were often not very full but I cannot understand cutting all express trips Monday-Thursday.

I have already contacted GO Transit to inquire about these changes and I encourage you to do the same if this affects you.

Also I only looked up these particular trips as these are the ones I used to commute but if you commute to McMaster using any Go Transit routes I suggest you check their website to see if your schedule has been affected by their service changes.

sinthusized says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 08-28-2010 at 09:33 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I wanted to post about this in case people haven't checked out the GO Transit schedules for the new school year yet.

If you're used to taking the 47A or 47B express bus trips to Bramalea Go and Square One it seems they have now discontinued these trips except for Fridays, or Thursdays before a Friday holiday.

Now the only option is to take the longer and more crowded 47 route.

This is a huge decrease in service and I don't forsee this being very convenient for students who commute to and from McMaster.

If you are used to taking the express routes you know the trips were often full at peak times, and on top of that the 47 is also often full at peak times. How are all these students supposed to get home with such a huge reduction in service from GO?

I can understand cutting out some of the express trips like the early afternoon trips (ie the 1:40) since these were often not very full but I cannot understand cutting all express trips Monday-Thursday.

I have already contacted GO Transit to inquire about these changes and I encourage you to do the same if this affects you.

Also I only looked up these particular trips as these are the ones I used to commute but if you commute to McMaster using any Go Transit routes I suggest you check their website to see if your schedule has been affected by their service changes.
wow, that really sucks that the express routes are cut... I always appreciated having them in the mornings. Also, the fact that the monthly pass from square one is now over two hundred dollars doesn't make me happy about the go.
Old 08-28-2010 at 09:37 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Yeah the monthly pass from Bramalea is $250 now. In my e-mail I was sure to ask them why we still have to pay the newly increased price for decreased service.

In the morning its not biggie for me because I get on at Bramalea and not many people get on their early, not nearly as many as get on at Square One.

Getting a seat on the 47 at peak times in the afternoon is going to be a nightmare though. There's always a massive crowd trying to get on it whenever I'm on the platform, everyone would get on the 47 and then the 47B and then the 47A and they would all be filled at times like 3:40, 4:40 etc.

People have jobs and stuff to get to so I'm sure its not really an option for most people to wait around for another bus until they can finally get a spot on one.

This is a really shitty thing of Go Transit to do to their student customers.
Old 08-29-2010 at 10:02 PM   #4
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I checked the schedules and still see a 47A and B Express for Monday-Friday. I have a lot of friends who take this route.

Both before and after September 3. Where do you see the cuts?
Old 08-29-2010 at 10:07 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I checked the schedules and still see a 47A and B Express for Monday-Friday. I have a lot of friends who take this route.

Both before and after September 3. Where do you see the cuts?
If you look at the schedule all the 47A and 47B trips have an X under them which indicates that the trip runs Friday only.

So trips for 47A and 47B are listed on the schedule but they only run on Fridays according to their Trip Exceptions.
Old 08-30-2010 at 06:20 PM   #6
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Ouch, I see it now. That really sucks! :(

I was debating on taking the 47 express one day a week to get to my one class during my co-op term. I think I'll drive in now instead...
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:17 PM   #7
dasa3

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I called GO Transit to ask them why they decided to cancel the express trip and according to them Express 47A and 47B will be running as per the regular schedule.
Also found a page on go transit website and in there it says X means- Trip does not operate from Dec 24 to Jan 01, 2011.
http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...ept.aspx?new=Y

sew12, sinthusized like this.
Old 08-30-2010 at 07:34 PM   #8
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasa3 View Post
I called GO Transit to ask them why they decided to cancel the express trip and according to them Express 47A and 47B will be running as per the regular schedule.
Also found a page on go transit website and in there it says X means- Trip does not operate from Dec 24 to Jan 01, 2011.
http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...ept.aspx?new=Y
PHEWWW! you barely get a seat. they would've had to carry people on the roof!
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:09 AM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Wow, good to know.

The 46 schedule on the website must be messed up b/c in the legend at the bottom of that schedule the X indicates that this trip doesn't run except on Fridays.

This is a huge relief as I had no idea how they planned to accommodate all commuting students from Brampton/Mississauga with only the 47, plus all the people who commute from the carpool lots.