MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
high school sciences at mac? Raeann89 Academics 5 09-09-2010 08:17 AM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Retaking a course in high school Relyt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-15-2010 08:14 PM
Help with High School Math Kira Academics 6 01-21-2010 07:06 PM
High School Documents Serps First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-22-2009 04:06 PM

what high school did you go to?

Old 08-25-2008 at 10:19 AM   #31
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

So apparently I'm the only one from Etobicoke... and it's pronounced Ee-toe-bee-co not ee-toe-bee-coke thank you!

I went to Lakeshore C.I and I'm pretty indifferent to my high school. It served its purpose, I had three really inspirational teachers and then there were the ones that I wonder how they got through high school themselves let alone teach it. There is a Catholic school not too far away from us that we apparently had a rivalry with although the only time I encountered this was when I was once called a "Shore Whore" while walking down the street...apparently all the girls at Lakeshore were called thus... mind you we weren't the ones with the tiny skirts. The funny thing is: that school is now being relocated to the old looney bin (the mental hospital off Lakeshore that was shut down years ago and turned into a party ground for Mimico-Lakeshore-Alderwood kids) so now Father John Redmond is taking the brunt of the jokes.

Other than that... *shrug* I'm glad to have left it behind.

Old 08-25-2008 at 10:39 AM   #32
highoutput

Liked: 0 Times

I went to Bowmanville High School located in, you guessed it, the great town of Bowmanville... its a fairly quite town though it has grown alot since first moving there. the school has been around for some 40 years or sumthing so it's somewhat run down.... not to mention the air ventilation was so bad it seems to have been a factor in causing 2 teachers to develop cancer! lol hopefully it's not actually true. The best thing about that school was definitely teachers. i had a few great teachers that made it a really good experience.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:30 AM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Lmao, I guess I took the A/C for granted probably because the school is poorly designed and some rooms are like boilers while others are like a freezer.

I would also like to add that my school had a great extended french program that is sadly not continuing due to the teacher retiring. Atleast I don't think they found another qualified teacher that is willing to teach so many classes... He had to teach 9 classes a year compared to 8 classes and 2 of those classes were split classes, so it was like teaching 11 classes. On top of that he had degrees in everything and was able to teach geo, history and world religion in french. From what I've heard, they couldn't even find 2 teachers to replace the core french classes he was teaching.
Old 08-25-2008 at 08:10 PM   #34
ghazi

brampton - bramalea anyone?
i am from brampton ... i attended bramalea secondary school .... some ppl liked it , some ppl hated it lol .... but nevertheless in my opinion a good school ...... anyone frm there?

Last edited by ghazi : 08-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:55 PM   #35
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

I'm from Maple High, in you guessed it, Maple. Lol, such a Canadian name. I bet Americans when they hear about it, probably think we live in igloo's with our pet beavers, drinking maple syrup and eating beaver tails all day.

What I love about the school, was that it was right across the street from Wonderland. We'd have funnel cakes for lunch, and go on the Behemoth, before coming back (late) to class.

There was also a little park on the other side, which had a tennis court, where we'd lose countless tennis balls, with our shitty skills. And also a little pond, where kids would take their paintball guns and shoot the water. Sigh... I'm gonna miss it.
Old 08-26-2008 at 12:51 AM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Beaver Tails are awesome! So are funnel cakes!
Old 08-27-2008 at 03:32 PM   #37
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

I went to Orchard Park Secondary School in Stoney Creek.

I loved my school because our music department and sport teams were awsome.
Old 08-27-2008 at 04:42 PM   #38
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times

I don't see any Londoners or Smithvillians/Grimsby-folks in here yet.

I've gone to two high schools: Grimsby Secondary School in, you guessed it, Grimsby Ontario. (Lived in Smithville, half hour bus ride to GSS). After grade 10 we moved to Lucan Ontario and I started going to Medway High School.

GSS I loved. Had a ton of really awesome friends, two of whom are coming here to Mac, the place was in great condition, (most of) the teachers were great.... Just had a complete blast there. Heard some nightmares about the administration, but I never really got a close-and-personal experience with that. GO EAGLES!

Medway was not quite so loved, though I got used to it. I made some good friends, and some of the teachers were really cool, but A) I was not happy about moving away from GSS, and B) the place was falling apart. Its under major renovations now, which are badly needed, but which are kinda too late for me. Ah well - Off to bigger places!
Old 08-28-2008 at 04:56 PM   #39
Gaurav.Sodi

Hi everyone!

In my 4 years of high school I have been to three different schools. First i wnet to cedarbrae collegiate institiute in Scarborough, that school is the biggest school i have ever seen, then i went to streetsville secondary in mississauga, this school was a nightmare to me as I had some bad times there, and then last shool i attended was meadowvale secondary school in mississauga, pretty nice school but was famous for its crimes.
Old 08-28-2008 at 07:27 PM   #40
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
So apparently I'm the only one from Etobicoke... and it's pronounced Ee-toe-bee-co not ee-toe-bee-coke thank you!

I went to Lakeshore C.I and I'm pretty indifferent to my high school. It served its purpose, I had three really inspirational teachers and then there were the ones that I wonder how they got through high school themselves let alone teach it. There is a Catholic school not too far away from us that we apparently had a rivalry with although the only time I encountered this was when I was once called a "Shore Whore" while walking down the street...apparently all the girls at Lakeshore were called thus... mind you we weren't the ones with the tiny skirts. The funny thing is: that school is now being relocated to the old looney bin (the mental hospital off Lakeshore that was shut down years ago and turned into a party ground for Mimico-Lakeshore-Alderwood kids) so now Father John Redmond is taking the brunt of the jokes.

Other than that... *shrug* I'm glad to have left it behind.
I'm from etobicoke too!!! I went to Kipling Collegiate. Do you know Jason Grant by any chance? LOL
Old 08-29-2008 at 11:29 AM   #41
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Ooh boy. I had an interesting highschool life, let me tell you that.

I went to two highschools in Toronto, in relatively the same area. The first one, Harbord C.I. was... a really sh*tty school. Everyone in the area says it's great, and that it's prestigious and really academic. Yeah, too bad the teachers are crap. I didn't have one really great teacher until my last year, who had long lectures about life and not just about the material she had to cover in the curriculum. Long story short, I had experiences there that really messed me up and I wanted to leave.

My second high school, Bloor C.I. was a breath of fresh air. GREAT teachers, almost every one of them was good and taught me a lot about both the subjects and a little bit about life. I made great friends, and had fun in the sports events and extra-curricular events like the fashion show (which I co-ran and modeled in), and the garage sale (of vintage sports uniforms which I also co-ran). The school was small, about 500 students, so everybody knew eachother. It was a little bit cliquey, but no one was a biatch about it. It was like a community and everyone had fun. I really excelled in my last year there, and that's what helped me get into McMaster, so I'm happy I went there and I'll really miss it. I remember I had to balance that year with night school both terms, and volunteering on weekends, so I feel like I accomplished something. So excited to go back in October for commencement (graduation). =D
Old 08-29-2008 at 11:42 AM   #42
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
So excited to go back in October for commencement (graduation). =D
You have grad in October??? o.O
Old 08-29-2008 at 01:05 PM   #43
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvy88 View Post
LOL. I know, it's retarded right? But it's sort of cool since you get to see everybody after they've gone out into the world and see the minute or big changes.
Old 08-29-2008 at 04:35 PM   #44
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvy88 View Post
Heh, it surprised me too when I first heard of it, but it's actually fairly common. I actually had my grad in the October of my OAC year (when it still existed), so for those of us who were university-bound, it was like we graduated on Friday, then were back in class on Monday to continue the school year. A little anti-climactic if you ask me :p

So yeah, every year around the beginning of October there's a mini-exodus of students from residence who are going home for their grad. Some students also just decide not to go, for whatever reason.
Old 08-29-2008 at 07:19 PM   #45
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times

My Grad is in October too... Though we're not lucky enough to have it on a Friday. Its the Thursday before Thansksgiving, which means I miss my Friday Chemistry Lab - I'm not driving all the way home, all the way back to school for an 8:30 class, and then all the way home again.